Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Grub not loading from replaced disk Post 302868663 by fpmurphy on Monday 28th of October 2013 12:37:56 PM
Old 10-28-2013
What Linux distribution and version? Is your version of GRUB GRUB2 or Legacy GRUB?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grub loading stage 1.5.

Hi people,I am trying to install Debian Lenny Betta-2 on a system that has the built in promise chip for "Raid 0" but when I finished the install and then I reboot ,I get "grub loading,pleas wate... Error 2. also the Debian Lenny Betta-2 is identifying both drives ,instead of a singular drive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegreatalsky
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

Grub is not loading the correct kernel

All I am trying to get RHEL 5.4 to load to the XEN enabled kernel but I am not having much luck. My grub.conf looks like it has 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5xen as the 1st one but when I do a uname -a I get the NON xen enabled kernel. I know I am doing something stupid but if anybody has any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razor3928
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Veritas not attaching replaced disk

Hi, I`m on SunFire480R with Solaris 10. Disk in rootdg group failed, so it was replaced. However, I cannot make Veritas initalise the replaced disk: # vxdctl enable # vxdisk list c1t0d0s2 Device: c1t0d0s2 devicetag: c1t0d0 type: auto flags: online error private autoconfig... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: masloff
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Changed disk controller -> drops into GRUB?!

I changed disk controller. Unplugged every disk, inserted another controller card, an IBM M1015. The disks are recognized in BIOS, and the controller card's BIOS shows up. But after that, I drop into GRUB and a prompt. That is all. How shall I solve this problem? I am thinking of booting from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Linux LVM.. Grub not loading from replaced disk

Hi, a little while ago, one of the GPT Partitioned hard disk had gone faulty in a Mirror RAID and is now successfully replaced. here is how I did that. 1) created identical partition table on the new disk. 2) attached the mirrors using md commands. The whole procedure is given... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
5 Replies

6. AIX

Replaced pdisk not showing up in SAS Disk Array Configuration

OSLevel: 5300-10-02-0943 System Model: IBM,8203-E4A Power 6 == Hi! I replaced a failed pdisk in the raid enclosure as follows, - rmdev -l 'pdisk18' '-d' - Replaced it. - cfgmgr (detected) - I can see the new drive, with the correct serial # lscfg -v -l pdisk18 pdisk18... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estrar
2 Replies
grub(5) 																   grub(5)

NAME
grub - GRand Unified Bootloader software on Solaris The current release of the Solaris operating system is shipped with the GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) software. GRUB is developed and supported by the Free Software Foundation. The overview for the GRUB Manual, accessible at www.gnu.org, describes GRUB: Briefly, a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transfer- ring control to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux or GNU Mach). The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system (for example, a GNU [Ed. note: or Solaris] system). GNU GRUB is a very powerful boot loader that can load a wide variety of free, as well as proprietary, operating systems, by means of chain-loading. GRUB is designed to address the complexity of booting a personal computer; both the program and this manual are tightly bound to that computer platform, although porting to other platforms may be addressed in the future. [Ed. note: Sun has ported GRUB to the Solaris operating system.] One of the important features in GRUB is flexibility; GRUB understands filesystems and kernel executable formats, so you can load an arbitrary operating system the way you like, without recording the physical position of your kernel on the disk. Thus you can load the kernel just by specifying its file name and the drive and partition where the kernel resides. Among Solaris machines, GRUB is supported on platforms. The GRUB software that is shipped with Solaris adds two utilities not present in the open-source distribution: bootadm(1M) Enables you to manage the boot archive and make changes to the GRUB menu. installgrub(1M) Loads the boot program from disk. Both of these utilities are described in Solaris man pages. Beyond these two Solaris-specific utilities, the GRUB software is described in the GRUB manual, a PDF version of which is available from the Sun web site. Available in the same location is the grub(8) open-source man page. This man page describes the GRUB shell. boot(1M), bootadm(1M), installgrub(1M) http://www.gnu.org/software/grub 21 Apr 2005 grub(5)