Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting While loop hangs in function running in background Post 302868599 by kanagalamurali on Monday 28th of October 2013 10:13:58 AM
Old 10-28-2013
Let me make this simple

I have a function with multiple while loops that fetch files from remote servers. I have paths in $paths variable and file names in $logs variable (Space separated).
Code:
Function () {
while read path from $paths
do
     while read log from  $logs
     do
           ssh -n $host du -skLc $logpath/$logfile   # get the size of remote file
           scp $host:$logpath/$logfile $localfile       # Download remote file

while read line
           do
               grep $string $line > output file    # Grep for string in each line
           done < $localfile
    done
done

}

When i call this function as below it works fine
Code:
for host in $hosts
do
Function 
done

When i try to run it in background as below the inner most while loop which is reading log entries line by line does not exit after finishing the file.
Code:
for host $hosts
do
Function &
done

Please help me to fix this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

subshell & background function

Hello all, Can someone explain to me the advantage between using subshell over a function call in scripts? To me these are the same. Am I wrong to think this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

2. Programming

want to run a function in background

consider the given prg. main() { ..... function1(); /* to write into a file or log */ printf(" "); ..... } when the control reaches function1(), it should get executed in the background.At the same time main's printf(" ") statement should also get executed.i.e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

running in background

i have a script called server.sh. how to run this script in backgroung using nohup command (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question about the PID of a background function

Dear all, I'm writing a KornShell script that calls inside it a function in background mode #!/bin/ksh function myfunction { . . .} myfunction |& . . . How can I capture the PID of the function myfunction that runs in background? Thanks in advance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill PID running in background in for loop

Guys, can you help me in killing the process which is running in back ground under for loop I am not able to find the PID using ps -afx|grep <word in command I entered> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find hangs with automountd daemon running

Hi, I am trying to find files with specific name using find / -name core -print.. this command is hanging and never completes as it is searching for all the automount filesystems ..i cant eliminate using "! -fstype nfs" as this is not a nfs filesystem pls let me know if anyone know how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: to_bsr
2 Replies

7. Programming

C Sleep function hangs @ __kernel_vsyscall ()

This is the gdb backtrace. ^C Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt. 0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall () (gdb) bt #0 0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall () #1 0xb7e56a70 in __nanosleep_nocancel () from /lib/libc.so.6 #2 0xb7e568bb in __sleep (seconds=0) at sleep.c:138 #3 0x080496d5 in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
6 Replies

8. Linux

YUM HANGS AT RUNNING TRANSACTION TEST

Hi When i trying to update using yum, hangs at Running transaction test. # yum update yum Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile * addons: ftp.oss.eznetsols.org * extras: ftp.oss.eznetsols.org * base: ftp.oss.eznetsols.org * updates:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running in background

Hello, I was trying to make some processes to run at background and went to a problem. First I tried just to loop in one line something like this: for i in {1..10}; do echo 'hello world' &; done; but it pops a syntax error, so I tried several ways to fix it but wasn't able to understand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rash
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a function in background and then suspend it

Here is some back ground on the script. The script is to poll an arbitrary number of DB's. To do this I am creating a function that takes the file_path to the DB and the min poll interval as arguments. The function will be called for each DB and then ran in the background. The function I was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandavison
6 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)