Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename all Files in a UNIX Directory from one date format to another date format Post 302867749 by pchegoor on Friday 25th of October 2013 01:40:50 AM
Old 10-25-2013
Question Rename all Files in a UNIX Directory from one date format to another date format

Hi Unix Gurus,

I would like to rename several files in a Unix Directory . The filenames can have more than 1 underscore ( _ ) and the last underscore is always followed by a date in the format mmddyyyy. The Extension of the files can be .txt or .pdf or .xls etc and is case insensitive ie .Xls or .XLS is also possible. Now i need to convert such a file to date format which ends with yyyymmdd.

For eg E-SSS_Reporting_for_Small_Groups_10012013.xls needs to be renamed as E-SSS_Reporting_for_Small_Groups_20131001.xls

How can i accomplish this?

Appreciate your Help on this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Date Format

I have an Foxbase application that saves dates in a character field using a Unix date format. Does anyone know what the formula is to convert back to a standard date, something that can be, I hesitate to say, understood in a Windows environment, such as Excel or Access. cheers peter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfpoet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert mmddyy date format to ccyyddd format??

hi, for reading a cobol indexed file i need to convert "mmddyy" date format to "ccyyddd" format. i checked the datecalc and other scripts but couldnt modify them to cater to my need:(... The datecalc gives an output which i believe is the total days till that date, but i want to convert it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhups
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alternative of format date in HP unix

HI, Does anyone know how the alternative way to format date to 'Jul07' in UNIX-HP . I found HP Unix does not support date -d....:( --------------------------------------------------------------- trxStartYear=2007 mthKey0=07 trxDay=20 key=`date -d ${trxStartYear}${mthKey0}${trxDay}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: epall
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix date Format (MON)

Hi , Can any one give me what is the date format for 3 character Month all caps (MON) when I do date +%b it will give me Sep But I want this to be SEP (all caps) . Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umathurumella
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date format to mysql date format in log file

I have a comma delimited log file which has the date as MM/DD/YY in the 2nd column, and HH:MM:SS in the 3rd column. I need to change the date format to YYYY-MM-DD and merge it with the the time HH:MM:SS. How will I got about this? Sample input 02/27/09,23:52:31 02/27/09,23:52:52... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing from Excel date format to MySQL date format

I have a list of dates in the following format: mm/dd/yyyy and want to change these to the MySQL standard format: yyyy-mm-dd. The dates in the original file may or may not be zero padded, so April is sometimes "04" and other times simply "4". This is what I use to change the format: sed -i '' -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Format in UNIX

Hi Guys, Need some help. I want to use the date command in Unix and having this below format as an output. the month should be in FIRST 3 LETTERS & ALL CAPS. And the DAY should be in two digits format DESIRED OUTPUT: 09-JUN-11 I tried to use this command below but still it does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make directory with todays date format

Not sure why this is not working. Please advice: #!/bin/sh DIR=`date +"%m-%d-%y"` echo $DIR ] && mkdir $DIR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change date format in am/pm in csv files using UNIX

Hi All, I'm new to forum good to hear all. I stuck in converting date format in csv file using unix csv file contains as below ,750,0000000000000000GCJR, ,06/22/2016 14:48:44 I want to convert into as below ,750,0000000000000000GCJR, ,06/22/2016 02:48:44 PM Please reply asap..... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghureds
22 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date: invalid date trying to set Linux date in specific format

i try to set linux date & time in specific format but it keep giving me error Example : date "+%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" or date +"%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" keep giving me this error : date: invalid date ‘19-01-2017 00:05:01' Please use CODE tags... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
DATETIMEINTERFACE.GETTIMESTAMP(3)					 1					 DATETIMEINTERFACE.GETTIMESTAMP(3)

DateTime::getTimestamp - Gets the Unix timestamp

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public int DateTime::getTimestamp (void ) DESCRIPTION
int DateTimeImmutable::getTimestamp (void ) int DateTimeInterface::getTimestamp (void ) Procedural style int date_timestamp_get (DateTimeInterface $object) Gets the Unix timestamp. PARAMETERS
This function has no parameters. RETURN VALUES
Returns the Unix timestamp representing the date. EXAMPLES
Example #1 DateTimeInterface.getTimestamp(3) example Object oriented style <?php $date = new DateTime(); echo $date->getTimestamp(); ?> Procedural style <?php $date = date_create(); echo date_timestamp_get($date); ?> The above examples will output something similar to: 1272509157 NOTES
Using U as the parameter to DateTime.format(3) is an alternative when using PHP 5.2. SEE ALSO
DateTime.setTimestamp(3), DateTime.format(3). PHP Documentation Group DATETIMEINTERFACE.GETTIMESTAMP(3)