Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Right place to install Linux bootloader Post 302867747 by freedombird9 on Friday 25th of October 2013 01:35:00 AM
Old 10-25-2013
Right place to install Linux bootloader

I installed ubuntu on a windows machine, but after restart the computer automatically booted windows without showing me boot option. I think I might have installed my ubuntu bootloader in the wrong partition. I previously have sda1,2,3,5 and 6. I partitioned sda6 into sda6, sda7 and sda8. I mounted / on sda6, swap on sda7, /home on sda8. When choosing where to install bootloader on the bottom, I selected sda6, instead of sda, where my windows bootloader is. I wonder if I should choose that disk? And now how can I repair it? I used a usb to install it. I can lunch ubuntu directly from my usb, so I tried grub-install /dev/sda on the usb lunched version but it displays: cp: cannot create regular file `/boot/grub/915resolution.mod': Permission denied. Don't know what to do.
Btw, in which disk is my ubuntu kernel installed? thanks a lot.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a place like this for LINUX questions?

Is there some place like this unix.com for linux questions? a forum like area to ask questions? I love this site, i've learned a lot (use unix - solaris, and linux - redhat). Unfortunately redhat.com has gotten rid of their support forums, everything is in a list type format and I don't want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
6 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 10 bootloader

Hi, I'm new to solaris and I have a question about installing solaris 10. Does solaris during install create a /boot partition? And if it does, is it possible to set the bootloader on this partition or will it always be on the MBR? greetz tony (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: topa
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

RedHat BootLoader

Hi, I have Windows XP and RedHat ES both. Last day I format windows due to problems in it, But now the BootLoader that used to come earlier is not coming. My system is directly booting Windows XP. How can I recover RedHat or what I need to do to get back the BootLoader. So that I can use both... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somnathbanerjee
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Bootloader using Linux ...

Hello, I want to find out the best route for setting up a network bootloader where I can have a custom listing of programmable options. Some of the desired options include: Setting up a linux or windows system via the network Troubleshooting utilities (like Knoppix) load via the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckoeber
2 Replies

5. Solaris

What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus, I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA(location A) to serverB(location B). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time(about 2 days). Do you have any suggestion or which way should be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
9 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

Bootloader Resources

Here is a list of resources for Unix and GNU/Linux bootloaders: GRUB Legacy: The original GRand Unified Bootloader. Now known as GRUB Legacy. GRUB: The latest and greatest. More commonly known as GRUB2. BRUG: Brand-new Universal loadeR from GRUB. Based on GRUB. Adds features like new object... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpmurphy
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux column(1) from util-linux-ng for Solaris? Which *.pkg to install?

Hi On Linux systems there is a command called "column". column - columnate lists Synopsis column -tx] -c columns] -s sep] file ...] Description The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions

hello all, im new to this site...and look forward to corresponding with you all. i am a microsoft kid (sad) currently i work on small networks and repair computers for home and business. i want to better my skill set...but dont want to carry on down the MS route. Basically i want to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: j0n1n
12 Replies

9. Ubuntu

How do I re-install my bootloader?

I accidently altered my partition table. Somehow I wiped it out completely and changed the disk label. Before I rebooted I managed to rebuild it the way it originally was using the original structure and label however I need to re-install a new bootloader for the new MBR. I have Ubuntu 14.04TLS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: project722
1 Replies
update-grub(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    update-grub(8)

NAME
update-grub - program to generate GRUB's menu.lst file SYNOPSIS
update-grub DESCRIPTION
update-grub is a program used to generate the menu.lst file used by the grub bootloader. It works by looking in /boot for all files which start with "vmlinuz-". They will be treated as kernels, and grub menu entries will be created for each. It will also create the initial menu.lst if none exists, after prompting the user. It will also add initrd lines for ramdisk images found with the same version as kernels found. e.g. /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5 and /boot/initrd-2.4.5 will cause a line of "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.5 or similar to be added for the ker- nel entry in the menu.lst. After update-grub has been run for the first time, the user is required to edit the generated menu.lst. The user must set the two options update-grub uses. Then re-run the update-grub script to update the menu.lst file using the default's that have been set. These are the options passed to the linux kernel: # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro Everything after "kopt=" is passed to the kernel as parameters. See bootparam(7) for more information. This is the grub device from which grub loads the kernel: # groot=(hd0,1) (hd0,1) is a partition in grub notation. See grub(8) for more information. This option controls if grub should create the alternative boot options in the menu entries # alternative=true # alternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the alternative boot options see grub(8) for more information. # lockalternative=true # lockalternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the old kernels. # lockold=true # lockold=false This options controls what is used for the alternative boot options, multiple altoptions lines are allowed. # altoptions=(some description) some kernel command line options # altoptions=(recovery option) single The description is placed in '()' and the kernel command line options follow that. # updatedefault=true # updatedefault=false This option controls if grub should update the default entry to keep booting the same kernel even if a new one is installed. The update-grub script can be ran automagically from the /etc/kernel-img.conf file by adding the following lines: postinst_hook = update-grub postrm_hook = update-grub do_bootloader = no For further information related to /etc/kernel-img.conf, see the manpage kernel-img.conf(5). SEE ALSO
grub(8), grub-install(8), kernel-img.conf(5) (contained in the kernel-package package), bootparam(7). The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub programs are prop- erly installed at your site, the command info grub should give you access to the complete manual. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jason Thomas <jason@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Jason Thomas June 18, 2001 update-grub(8)