Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search for a File Python
Top Forums Programming Search for a File Python Post 302867575 by metallica1973 on Thursday 24th of October 2013 12:21:32 PM
Old 10-24-2013
Search for a File Python

I am back at it with Python and have run into a little stupid hurdle. My goal is to simply search for the GeoIP.dat database and add the path to a couple of variables. So for example:

Code:
geopath=os.system('find /usr/share -iname GeoIP.dat')
geobase = pygeoip.GeoIP(geopath, pygeoip.MEMORY_CACHE)

which will load the GeoIP database so I can begin adding addition logic to my script. The issue I am having is when I simply execute using ipython:

Code:
geopath=os.system('find /usr/share -iname GeoIP.dat')
geopath
Out[15]: 0

it returns "0" in which I assume mean successful. So my stupid question is how do I see what was returned? Why doesnt it return the results instead of a "0"?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - search/copy from one file and search/paste to another

I am a newbie and would like some help with the following - Trying to search fileA for a string similar to - AS11000022010 30.4 31.7 43.7 53.8 60.5 71.1 75.2 74.7 66.9 56.6 42.7 32.5 53.3 I then want to replace that string with a string from fileB - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - use search keywords from array and search a file and print 3rd field when matched

Hi , I have been trying to write a perl script to do this job. But i am not able to achieve the desired result. Below is my code. my $current_value=12345; my @users=("bob","ben","tom","harry"); open DBLIST,"<","/var/tmp/DBinfo"; my @input = <DBLIST>; foreach (@users) { my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Python] Search a file with paramiko

I need to compare the output files in a directory for sftp, looking through a mask. Return the full file name. Eg. I have a file named locally: test.txt I must check through sftp, if a file with the following name: test_F060514_H173148.TXT My idea is for the filename to a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jomeaide
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving the relevant search from search file in the main file

I have two files: file 1: hello.com neo.com,japan.com,example.com news.net xyz.com, telecom.net, highlands.net, software.com example2.com earth.net, abc.gov.uk file 2: neo.com example.com abc.gov.uk file 2 are the search keys to search in file 1 if any of the search... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csim_mohan
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search file and print everything except multiple search terms

I'm trying to find a way to search a range of similar words in a file. I tried using sed but can't get it right:sed 's/\(ca01\)*//'It only removes "ca01" but leaves the rest of the word. I still want the rest of the information on the lines just not these specific words listed below. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace+append a text in python

Hello all, I have a verilog file as following (part of it): old.v: bw_r_rf16x32 AUTO_TEMPLATE ( 1957 // .rst_tri_en (mem_write_disable), 1958 .rclk (clk), 1959 .bit_wen (dva_bit_wr_en_e), 1960 .din ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
5 Replies

8. Programming

Python re.search vs re.sub

I am having trouble understanding why these two commands differ with one producing the desire results and the other not. An example: capture_str = 'xserver-xorg-video-qxl-dbg (0.1.1-2+b2 , 0.1.1-2+b1 , 0.1.1-2 ) X.Org X server -- QXL display driver (debugging symbols)' re.search(r'(?<=\\, ).*',... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

9. Programming

Search or find a element inside list python

I have a list as follows: From this i need to grep the element using keyword as "primary" and return output as 12:13-internet-wifi-primary i used as follows if (i <= (len(system_info))): ss = system_info print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies
GEOIPUPDATE(1)						      General Commands Manual						    GEOIPUPDATE(1)

NAME
geoipupdate - a program for updating the MaxMind GeoIP databases SYNOPSIS
geoipupdate [-v] [-f licensefile] DESCRIPTION
geoipupdate automatically updates the GeoIP database for GeoIP subscribers. It connects to the MaxMind GeoIP Update server and checks for an updated database. If it finds an updated database, then it downloads it, uncompresses it, and installs it. If you are running a fire- wall, it requires that the DNS and HTTP (80) ports be open. For example geoipupdate -v Performs the update in verbose mode. OPTIONS
-v Verbose mode, prints out the steps that geoipupdate takes. -d Specify a custom directory target to install the GeoIP datafile(s). By default geoipupdate installs to /var/lib/GeoIP -f Specifies the configuration file that contains the license key. Defaults to /etc/GeoIP.conf USAGE
Typically you'll want to write a weekly crontab that will run geoipupdate. Below is a sample crontab that runs geoipupdate on each Wednes- day at noon: # top of crontab MAILTO=your@email.com 0 12 * * 3 BIN_DIR/geoipupdate # end of crontab RETURN CODES
geoipupdate returns 0 on success, 1 on error. FILES
/etc/GeoIP.conf Configuration file for GeoIP, should contain license key. AUTHOR
Written by T.J. Mather REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <support@maxmind.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006 MaxMind LLC This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
Visit <http://www.maxmind.com/app/products> to sign up for a GeoIP subscription. geoiplookup(1), crontab(5) 4th Berkeley Distribution 14 May 2006 GEOIPUPDATE(1)