Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Stop Writing Scripts
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Stop Writing Scripts Post 302867279 by Corona688 on Wednesday 23rd of October 2013 06:26:51 PM
Old 10-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecracker
I, as a complete novice, am wondering why is shell scripting considered _complete_hell_ from your POV...
I suspect it's not to do with the shell scripting itself but the management of it. "There's a bunch of script files on server x left by admin z, nobody knows what they do" kind of thing.

Which doesn't make shell scripting the problem as much as the lack of documentation...

Somehow making it all visual doesn't strike me as actually solving it. Whether it's text or diagrams, you have to know the tools.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on writing scripts!!??

Hello, I don't know anything about scripting, and I want help on writing a script, which can help me doing my research. Actually I have some ASCII format files formatted in a way looks like this 6 lines of text that is not important for me File_header_name_number_1 <--... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing schell scripts

I am very new to Unix. I need to write a script that will grep some files, etc. When I write the script, do I need to know what shell I am using? If so, how do I do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssmiths001
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start and stop of an application thru shell scripts.

Hi, I just learnt the shell scripting and got working on that right now. I have one problem. Here i am having a java application that needs to be start and stop using two shell scripts, i.e., starting the java application using one shell script and stopping the application using another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sadha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing scripts

What would happen if I didn't use "./" before writing a script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebethea27703
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stopping Start/Stop scripts in reverse order

#Define the Start/Stop/Status Scripts to include SSS_SCRIPTS=( prog1 prog2 prog3 etc...... ) #Start the scripts StartScripts() { for SSS in ${SSS_SCRIPTS} do ./$SSS start done } #Stop the Scripts StopScripts() { for SSS in ${SSS_SCRIPTS} do ./$SSS stop #<---I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madasafish
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Services Start & stop scripts--help required

Dear All, Pls find my scripts for Agent services strat & stop. EAMSROOT=/opt/panaces export EAMSROOT cd $EAMSROOT nohup ./OracleAgent.sh start & nohup ./PFRAgent.sh start & nohup ./PFR.sh start & nohup ./SolarisOSAgent.sh start & exit 0 EAMSROOT=/opt/panaces export EAMSROOT cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: starnaresh
0 Replies

7. AIX

HACMP version 5.4 startup and stop scripts

Hi My hacmp version is 5.4 and it is a active passive cluster. Where can I find the startup and stop scripts? Please assist. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

[HA] Red Hat 7, pacemaker and start/stop scripts

Hi there, I am wondering if I could add start/stop ksh scripts provided by 3rd party to cluster... I read that script must be ocf/lsb compliant, however, in AIX I can just set up two separate scripts for starting and stopping application. Can similar be done under RH Linux cluster? Cheers, c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyjan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux startup and stop scripts using SSH

I have a question. Actually I want to make two scripts, one is startup.sh and other is stopscript.sh so for example, I have 5 servers. Each server has two instances :- abc111 - Masters -cra4 abc222 -middle tear -cra abc333 -middle tear -cra1 abc444 -middle tear ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siddharthjain
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stop root from writing to directory

Is there a way to stop root from writing to a directory? I already tried chattr but that did not seem to work. chattr +i directory (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
12 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)