Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting List of Aliases/Shortcut Characters Post 302867229 by Corona688 on Wednesday 23rd of October 2013 04:46:23 PM
Old 10-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrm
similarly & is fork.
Incorrect, there is no 'fork' shell command, & is all there is. fork is what it does, rather.

Quote:
How can I list all these special character aliases? Or does a list exists online somewhere?
I don't think there are many, if any, more. 'source' is not in all shells, but . is in any bourne shell.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-23-2013 at 05:52 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shortcut in unix?

Sorry, anybody here knows how to make a shortcut in unix? Thanks. Sebastian. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seba
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shortcut

Dear Friends How i make shortcut in Tru64 unix for example make a shortcut for mail , i want to make a shortcut under / root the bath for mail # cd /var/spool/mail Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fmmq
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a shortcut in awk?

Is there a key board shortcut in vi editor to allow me to find the next ( or { that are corresponding to the first one? Thanks! It's % sign. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Characters to a Word List

If I had a word list with a large amount of words in it, how would I (using a unix command) add, say, 123 to the end of each word? EDIT: The word list is stored in a large text file. I need a command that applies the ending to each word in the file and saves the result in a new text file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: evillion
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to find string and return following characters from list of files

Hi, I'm fairly new to UNIX, but hopefully some-one can help me with this: I am using the following code to find files with the name "example.xml": find . -name "example.xml" -print that would print me a list like the example here: ./dir1/dir2/example.xml... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boijie
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove characters from list of files

done some homework on this-- after i remove up to and including the ) i want to take newfile.txt and use that list to remove the files from a file in my the directory pwd i have a input.txt file cat input,txt 1)mary.jpg 12)john.jpg 100)frankkfkdf .jpg i want to remove the characters in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plener
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting words in list with more than 2 identical adjacent characters

Morning Guys & Gals, I am trying to figure out a way to remove lines from a file that have more than 2 identical characters in sequence.. So if for instance the list would look like ; the output would be ; I can't seem to get my head around perl (among many other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return error if - or certain characters are present in a list of strings

I have a list of strings, for example: set strLst = "file1 file2 file3 file4" I want to log an error if some of the fields happen to begin with -, or have characters like ; : ' , ? ] { = Which means for example setting set ierr = 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a shortcut

Hi, I want to match a column of one file with many others and take the average of each one and put them into one file (I know sounds complicated). so the 1st file is just a list of names that I want to match with the 2nd file that have names along with rows of values. awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting | Return list of unique characters in files

Hi, I am trying to script the below, but I am not very good at it :( Your help would be greatly appreciated. 1. read all files in the directory in strings strings *.* 2. in each file, for each line that contains "ABCD", store characters located at position 521 and 522 of this line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: clippertm
9 Replies
ALI(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    ALI(1)

NAME
ali - list mail aliases SYNOPSIS
ali [-alias aliasfile] [-list | -nolist] [-normalize | -nonormalize] [-user | -nouser] [-version] [-help] [aliases ...] DESCRIPTION
Ali searches the named mail alias files for each of the given aliases. It creates a list of addresses for those aliases, and writes that list on standard output. If no arguments are given, ali outputs all alias entries. By default, when an aliases expands to multiple addresses, the addresses are separated by commas and printed on as few lines as possible. If the -list option is specified, then when an address expands to multiple addresses, each address will appear on a separate line. The switch -user directs ali to perform its processing in an inverted fashion: instead of listing the addresses that each given alias expands to, ali will list the aliases that expand to each given address. If the -normalize switch is given, ali will try to track down the official hostname of the address. The files specified by the profile entry "Aliasfile" and any additional alias files given by the -alias aliasfile switch will be read. Each alias is processed as described in mh-alias(5). FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/passwd List of users /etc/group List of groups PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Aliasfile: For a default alias file SEE ALSO
mh-alias(5) DEFAULTS
`aliasfiles' defaults to /etc/nmh/MailAliases `-nolist' `-nonormalize' `-nouser' CONTEXT
None BUGS
The -user option with -nonormalize is not entirely accurate, as it does not replace local nicknames for hosts with their official site names. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 ALI(1)