Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with splitting and rearranging a field in awk Post 302866895 by IX3R0XI on Tuesday 22nd of October 2013 10:28:58 PM
Old 10-22-2013
That worked perfectly, thank you so much!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

awk/sed for splitting a field into two

I have a tab delimitted dataset with 4 fields. I like to split the second field into two, and have 5 fields. I like to remove the "-" sign when I get a new fiel. would you help? It is like: 1223 100-5 rr dd I need it like: 1223 100 5 rr dd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sire
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting record into multiple records by appending values from an input field (AWK)

Hello, For the input file, I am trying to split those records which have multiple values seperated by '|' in the last input field, into multiple records and each record corresponds to the common input fields + one of the value from the last field. I was trying with an example on this forum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imtiaz99
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large file and renaming based on field

I am trying to update an older program on a small cluster. It uses individual files to send jobs to each node. However the newer database comes as one large file, containing over 10,000 records. I therefore need to split this file. It looks like this: HMMER3/b NAME 1-cysPrx_C ACC ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozrun
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearranging into new columns (awk?)

Hi experts, I've used several solutions from this forum to delete nonsense and rearrange data in the project file I'm working on. I'm hoping you guys can give me some tips on further rearranging the data (I've seen a few solutions by searching, but one specific item has me stumped, which is only... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coryvp
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt with rearranging file through awk

Filename1.xml NO 2012-11-16 02:00:27 20121115/pathname/ asia Filename1.rec YES 2012-11-16 01:20:24 20121115/pathname asia FIleName2.xml YES 2012-11-16 01:20:25 20121115/pathaname asia if the file content are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in splitting Sub Fields and compare with other field

Hi All, We are trying to pull out data from below table, the table contains four fields and out of which last two fields are having sub-fields with delimiter $, we want to identify number "1" position in the 3rd field and from 4th field need to extract the information from the same position. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to adjust coordinates in field based on sequential numbers in another field

I am trying to output a tab-delimited result that uses the data from a tab-delimited file to combine and subtract specific lines. If $4 matches in each line then the first matching sequential $6 value is added to $2, unless the value is 1, then the original $2 is used (like in the case of line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field using matching value in file1 and substring in field in file2

In the awk below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 in file2 in bold, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
rwbytype.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						    rwbytype.d(1m)

NAME
rwbytype.d - read/write bytes by vnode type. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
rwbytype.d DESCRIPTION
This program identifies the vnode type of read/write activity - whether that is for regular files, sockets, character special devices, etc. This is measuring at the application level, so file activity may well be cached by the system. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # rwbytype.d FIELDS
PID process ID CMD process name VNODE vnode type (describes I/O type) DIR direction, Read or Write BYTES total bytes DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
rwbytype.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
rwbypid.d(1M), rwbbypid.d(1M), dtrace(1M) version 0.70 Jan 11, 2006 rwbytype.d(1m)