Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with a deleting lines based on a pattern Post 302866319 by Corona688 on Monday 21st of October 2013 06:06:54 PM
Old 10-21-2013
Some more complete input data, and the output you'd want from it, would be helpful. This is a bit ambiguous as is.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines after pattern using sed

I have seen there are many sed posts but still it is quite difficult to apply other post to my own problem How can I delete all lines in a file from 2 lines after this pattern *End_fine_coreg:_NORMAL to the end of file? Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding duplicate lines and deleting folders based on them

Hi, I have research data, which is organized to 100 folders numbered 00-99. I have many sets of 100 folders, for different values of initial parameters. For some reason, the computer that ran the program to gather the data, didn't always create a unique seed for each folder. I anticipated that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jopi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines between two patterns without deleting the second pattern

I want to delete lines like this sed '/FROM_HERE/,/TO_HERE/d' but I would like to *not* delete the second match, i.e. the TO_HERE line. How can I achieve this? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilja
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: deleting 5 lines after a specified pattern

As an example (just an example, this could apply to any block of text) say I have this: architecture x86_64 cputype CPU_TYPE_X86_64 cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_X86_64_ALL offset 4096 size 2972420 align 2^12 (4096) architecture ppc64 cputype CPU_TYPE_POWERPC64 cpusubtype... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching over multiple lines and deleting the first

I've got a longish log file with content such as Uplink traffic: Downlink traffic: I want to parse the log file and remove any line that contains the string "Uplink traffic:" at the beginning of the line, but only if the line following it beginnings with the string "Downlink traffic:" (in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorkie99
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] deleting pattern based lines in sed

HI, My input file contains below data: DFHDR 12345110 1,200 2,-100 1,100 2,123 12345110 1,300 2,200 DFTLR In the above data, the first line and last lines should be remove as well as the lines in which contains 110 as position(6,7,8 position) should also be removed, How we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines from a stream after matching a pattern

Hi, I have a requirement to to an ldapsearch and remove the shadow attributes in the output file. What I do is ldapsearch() | operation to remove shadow > FILE The ldapsearch gives output like this(with same line formation): objectClass: FSConfig objectClass: extensibleObject fsCAIP:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorzinian
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines based on a condition for a group of files

hi i have a set of similar files. i want to delete lines until certain pattern appears in those files. for a single file the following command can be used but i want to do it for all the files at a time since the number is in thousands. awk '/PATTERN/{i++}i' file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor deleting lines with specific pattern

Hi, I need to delete all lines in the file using vi editor which start with word aternqaco. Please assist. aternqaco.__oracle_base='/amdbqa01/app/oracle'#ORACLE_BASE set from environment aternqa.__oracle_base='/amdbqa01/app/oracle'#ORACLE_BASE set from environment... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines on matching certain pattern

hi I have a large xml file from which i have taken few lines . In this file I have to find for the string </invoices> and check if the 3 rd line after this string does not begin with <portCode> ,then i have to delete the string </invoices> and the next line having the string </shippingBill>... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnyboy
13 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)