Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Newbie BIND DNS question: resolving upstream hosts? Post 302866303 by lupin..the..3rd on Monday 21st of October 2013 05:41:17 PM
Old 10-21-2013
So DNS "forwarding" is the feature I should look into?

There's so many DNS buzz-words to learn. Forwarding, Stealth, Recursive, Split, Authoritative, etc. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS/BIND question, is it ze germans?

First some back ground info: I am working on a computer running SuSE 7.3 I am still trying to set up a DNS I downloaded BIND 9.2.1 and was following a tutorial about BIND. It said at virtually the start of the tutorial that I should find a file called named.conf in my /etc directory. Yes, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ignus7
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Apache 2 Virtual Hosts not resolving

Hey all, I'm having some apache problems. I've installed apache countless times on FreeBSD. However, I'm having some problems and I could use some help. Here is my system info: FreeBSD 5.2.1 Apache 2.0.51 (/usr/local/apache2), doc root (/www symlink to /var/www) PHP 5.0.1 (/usr/local/php)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezekiel61
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Question on DNS/BIND

I have set up a BIND server running on Redhat AS 3.0 and the question I have is that I can point my laptop to that server and resolve all the hosts I have put in my .zone file but for the life of me I can resolve any outside information. I have verified the server can talk to the world. Any hints... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Resolving port 8080 in DNS

Hi I have my DNS servers (BIND 8) running on two Solaris 8 boxes. I need to be able to resolve an address blah.xxx.net to an IP address followed by :8080 - (for Tomcat). I tried doing this in my zone file but it failed. Can someone give me a pointer on where this configuration should be done?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: korfnz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS not resolving

I have configured my solaris 9 box to obtain a IP from the DHCP server which is on windows, I have also set up the DNS with domain name and name servers under /etc/resolv.conf I can ping a ip address I just cant seem to ping hostnames, theres probaly something im not doing. I have looked through... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dns/bind

Hi, Does anyone know anything about DNS/BIND? I need to tell my dns for every sub-domain foward on to my main domain.... so *.example.com gets sent to exmaple.com. Any ideas. I've looked at bind on my machine and theres about 10 files....i just don't know where to put the rule or exactly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elduderino
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS Bind

Hello, I have a question about dns file zone. Every zone file begins like: @ 86400 IN SOA ns1.website.com. admin@website.com. ( It means that name server ns1 is responsible for this zone. At the ending I can add the records like mysite.com IN A 1.2.3.4 So it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Public dns bind 9

Hi Friends, I need help to understand how to publish my public dns to internet. I have configured bind 9 on thel5 server and it working fine. My question is, as i donot want to expose my orginal hostname to outside and my zone files are configured with the NS recorde of the orginal hostname,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
5 Replies

10. AIX

Use of /etc/hosts files in resolving the dns name

Hello, For what purpose /etc/hosts file is used.I mean how any request coming to a DNS server or a switch would know that which name and ip are configured in /etc/hosts files of a server? Best regards, Vishal (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Question; $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); DESCRIPTION
A Net::DNS::Question object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10', 'PTR', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10'); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. One or both type and class arguments may be omitted and will assume the default values shown above. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in both in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa namespaces. decode $question = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); ($question, $offset) = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); Decodes the question record at the specified location within a DNS wire-format packet. The first argument is a reference to the buffer containing the packet data. The second argument is the offset of the start of the question record. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. An exception is raised if the object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). encode $data = $question->encode( $offset, $hash ); Returns the Net::DNS::Question in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet buffer. The optional arguments are the offset within the packet data where the Net::DNS::Question is to be stored and a reference to a hash table used to index compressed names within the packet. name $name = $question->name; Internationalised domain name corresponding to the qname attribute. Decoding non-ASCII domain names is computationally expensive and undesirable for names which are likely to be used to construct further queries. When required to communicate with humans, the 'proper' domain name should be extracted from a query or reply packet. $query = new Net::DNS::Packet( $example, 'ANY' ); $reply = $resolver->send($query) or die; ($question) = $reply->question; $name = $question->name; qname, zname $qname = $question->qname; $zname = $question->zname; Canonical ASCII domain name as required for the query subject transmitted to a nameserver. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zname() and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype $qtype = $question->qtype; $ztype = $question->ztype; Returns the question type attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as ztype() and refers to the zone type. qclass, zclass $qclass = $question->qclass; $zclass = $question->zclass; Returns the question class attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zclass() and refers to the zone class. print $object->print; Prints the record to the standard output. Calls the string() method to get the string representation. string print "string = ", $question->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c)2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c)2003,2006-2011 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, Net::DNS::Packet, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.16.3 2012-12-28 Net::DNS::Question(3)