Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to count dup records in file? Post 302866165 by MadeInGermany on Monday 21st of October 2013 11:45:03 AM
Old 10-21-2013
Your example file is sorted. If this is true, and you don't mind the output format
Code:
uniq -c file

awk can do the same and format the output
Code:
awk '(NR>1 && $0!=prev) {print prev,c; c=0} {c++; prev=$0} END {if (NR>1) print prev,c}' file

Instead of prev,c you can do prev", "c.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the count of records from tables present inside a file.

hi gurus, I am having a file containing a list of tables.i want to find the count of records inside thes tables. for this i have to connect into database and i have to put the count for all the tables inside another file i used the following loop once all the tablenames are inside the file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep all records in a file and get a word count -perl

Hi, I have a file .. file.txt .. i need to get a total record count in the files into a $variable.. im using perl script thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count records in a zip file

Hello, I searched the forums on the keywords in the title I used above, but I did not find the answer: Is it possible to count records in a .zip file on an AIX machine if i don't have pkunzip installed? From all the research I'm reading in google and the reading of pkunzip in Unix.com,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count characters in specific records

I have a text file which represents a http flow like this: HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:16:24 GMT Server: Apache Last-Modified: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:08:03 GMT Accept-Ranges: bytes Cache-Control: max-age=540 Expires: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:21:31 GMT Vary: Accept-Encoding ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record count based on a keyword in the records

Hi, Am having files with many records, i need to count and display the number of records based on the keyword in one of the column of the records. for e.g THE FILE CONTAINS TWO RECORDS LIKE. 200903031143150 0 1236060795054357lessrv1 BSNLSERVICE1 BSNLSERVICE1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to count no of records based on conditions

Hi I am having files with date and time stamp as the folder names like 200906051400,200906051500,200906051600 .....hence everyday 24 files will be generated i need to do certain things on this 24 files daily file contains the data like 200906050016370 0 1244141195225298lessrv3 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Count Records with not null

Hi, I have a pipe seperated file I want to write a code to display count of lines that have 20th field not null. nawk -F"|" '{if ($20!="") print NR,$20}' xyz..txt This displays records with 20th field also null. I would like output as: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count particular type of records

Hi, I have a huge file containing thousands of records which are of following pattern: TYPE1 { originNodeType : "IVR" originHostName : "AAIVR" originTransactionID : "01310559" originTimeStamp : "20110620192440+0530" hostName : "hhhh" voucher : '0'D rProfileID : "ZZZZ" Before {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhukar1anand
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count records in a block

Hi, We have a file that has a structure like this: H10 1 2 3 D10 1 D20 1 2 3 D20 3 4 5 D20 4 5 6 D10 2 D20 1 2 3 D20 3 4 5 D20 4 5 6 S10 10 H10 1 2 3 D10 1 D20 1 2 3 D20 3 4 5 D20 4 5 6 D10 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
2 Replies
Char(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Char(3)

NAME
PDL::Char -- PDL subclass which allows reading and writing of fixed-length character strings as byte PDLs SYNOPSIS
use PDL; use PDL::Char; my $pchar = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $pchar->setstr(1,0,'foo'); print $pchar; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'foo' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] print $pchar->atstr(2,0); # Prints: # ghi DESCRIPTION
This subclass of PDL allows one to manipulate PDLs of 'byte' type as if they were made of fixed length strings, not just numbers. This type of behavior is useful when you want to work with charactar grids. The indexing is done on a string level and not a character level for the 'setstr' and 'atstr' commands. This module is in particular useful for writing NetCDF files that include character data using the PDL::NetCDF module. FUNCTIONS
new Function to create a byte PDL from a string, list of strings, list of list of strings, etc. # create a new PDL::Char from a perl array of strings $strpdl = PDL::Char->new( ['abc', 'def', 'ghij'] ); # Convert a PDL of type 'byte' to a PDL::Char $strpdl1 = PDL::Char->new (sequence (byte, 4, 5)+99); $pdlchar3d = PDL::Char->new([['abc','def','ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']]); string Function to print a character PDL (created by 'char') in a pretty format. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] # 'string' is overloaded to the "" operator, so: # print $char; # should have the same effect. setstr Function to set one string value in a character PDL. The input position is the position of the string, not a character in the string. The first dimension is assumed to be the length of the string. The input string will be null-padded if the string is shorter than the first dimension of the PDL. It will be truncated if it is longer. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $char->setstr(0,1, 'foobar'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] $char->setstr(2,1, 'f'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'f'] -> note that this 'f' is stored "f" # ] atstr Function to fetch one string value from a PDL::Char type PDL, given a position within the PDL. The input position of the string, not a character in the string. The length of the input string is the implied first dimension. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char->atstr(0,1); # Prints: # jkl perl v5.8.0 2001-05-27 Char(3)