Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Textutil - recursive concatenation Post 302865997 by gari on Monday 21st of October 2013 05:12:19 AM
Old 10-21-2013
Textutil - recursive concatenation

I'm trying to concatenate all .doc files within a directory and its subdirectories using the textutil . So basically I have the same question as in this thread, but it is already closed so that's why I'm creating a new one. In that ocasion, the suggested solution was using
Code:
find ./foo -maxdepth <number> -type f -name <filename_pattern> -exec cat \{} \;

In my case, I'm trying the following line:
Code:
]find . -maxdepth 3 -type f -name *.doc -exec cat \{} \;

However, I can't make it work. Any suggestions appreciated.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: added the link you provided. If you need anything, just ask - we are here to help you.

Last edited by bakunin; 10-22-2013 at 04:48 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenation

What is syntax for String concatenation? I have $1 as directory. $var is some variable value '/' String value. How do I have to concatenate if I have to run utility - util $1 followed by '/' followed by $var There is no space between these three. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string concatenation

my input file contains thousands of lines like below 234A dept of education 9788 dept of commerce 8677 dept of engineering How do i add a delimeter ':' after FIRST 4 CHARACTERS in a line 234A:dept of education 9788:dept of commerce 8677:dept of engineering (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemsb
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Concatenation

Hi, I want to write a generic shell script, which can concatenate n number of files passed as parameter ;to an output file which is again a parameter Example catfl.sh outfl.txt a.txt b.txt c.txt (3 files to be concatenated into a file outfl.txt) catfl.sh outfl.txt a.txt b.txt(2 files to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenation

How can I do this: date = 4 -----------> 04 Month= 3-----------> 03 I wish to make a varibale named Var1 which will hold the value of current date and month value as: 2 digits for date. 2 digits for month. So finally var1 should hold value as 0403 --- MMDD (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive Concatenation

Hi, I have a problem with concatenation text files. I have a directory, say 'foo' Inside this folder, I have many sub folders, say 'oof1, oof2 .... oof20' Each oof directory has a number of text files inside it. I need to concatenate all the text files in oof directories within foo...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kerensa@unsw.ed
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Concatenation

Hi All, I need to concatenate the values in the array into a variable. Currently the code is : for (( i=1 ; i <= $minCount ; i++ )) do var="${var}""${sample_file}" done The output is : /tmp/1/tmp/2/tmp/3/tmp/4/tmp/5/tmp/6/tmp/7/tmp/8/tmp/9/tmp/10 I need a space between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line concatenation help

please help me on this.... cat /xx.txt 2:1 2 2:2 24 8:0 0 9:0 0 Expected result would be 2:1 2 2:2 24 8:0 0 9:0 0 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with String concatenation

I have a script which is migrated from AIX to Linux & now while running it is no able to concatenate string values The string concatenation step under while loop is not displaying desired result Please find below the piece of code: while read EXT_FILE ; do EXT_FILE=$EXT_FILE.ext.sent echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File concatenation

awk '{$2=$2":"$8"-"$3;$3=$NF;$4=$NF="";print $0 | $10=$10":"$8"-"$18;$11=$NF;$12=$NF="";print $0 }' design.txt Trying to concatenate specific fields in a spreadsheet and the others remain unchanged. I attached an excel spreadsheet (all the data comes from a design.txt), but I put an example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenation script

Hi, I have the following reports that get generated every 1 hour and this is my requirement: 1. 5 reports get generated every hour with the names "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CTLR" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.ACCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.BCCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CCCD"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
1 Replies
textutil::repeat(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 			       textutil::repeat(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::repeat - Procedures to repeat strings. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::repeat ?0.7? ::textutil::repeat::strRepeat text num ::textutil::repeat::blank num _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::repeat provides commands to generate long strings by repeating a shorter string many times. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::repeat::strRepeat text num This command returns a string containing the text repeated num times. The repetitions are joined without characters between them. A value of num <= 0 causes the command to return an empty string. Note: If the Tcl core the package is loaded in provides the command string repeat then this command will be implemented in its terms, for maximum possible speed. Otherwise a fast implementation in Tcl will be used. ::textutil::repeat::blank num A convenience command. Returns a string of num spaces. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
blanks, repetition, string CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7.1 textutil::repeat(n)