Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case Post 302865877 by Akshay Hegde on Sunday 20th of October 2013 09:52:56 AM
Old 10-20-2013
Try

Sed

for each word

Code:
$ echo foo test | sed 's/\([a-z]\)\([a-zA-Z0-9]*\)/\u\1\2/g'
Foo Test

Awk

Code:
$ echo foo test  | awk '{$1=toupper(substr($1,0,1))substr($1,2)}1'
Foo test

Last edited by Akshay Hegde; 10-20-2013 at 11:03 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Akshay Hegde For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert upper case to lower case in ascript

I have a package to install and the installation script which does it . The files/directories names in the script are all lower case but the actual package has everything in upper case - file names, directories . I don't want to rename directories and files in the package - it has a lot of them . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vz6zz8
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to upper case first letter of each word in column 2

Hi guys, I have a file separated by ",". I´m trying to change to upper case the first letter of each word in column 2 to establish a standard format on this column. I hope somebody could help me to complete the SED or AWK script below. The file looks like this: (Some lines in column 2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting to lower case or upper case

here is a code column_name="vivek" column_name2="ViVeK" column_name=$(echo $column_name | awk '{print tolower($0)}') column_name2=$(echo $column_name2 | awk '{print tolower($0)}') echo "column name 1 lower: $column_name" echo "column name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert Lower case to Upper Case

There is a script where we pass the parameter in lower case: say: . ./scriptName pArameter #!/bin/ksh echo "`date` Entering $0 Reloading the $1 table " mname1=$1 (code to login MYSQL Database) Truncate table $mname1; exit ! Since now there is a limitaion of MYSQL that it accept... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
5 Replies
toupper(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       toupper(3C)

NAME
toupper - transliterate lower-case characters to upper-case SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); DESCRIPTION
The toupper() function has as a domain a type int, the value of which is representable as an unsigned char or the value of EOF. If the argument has any other value, the argument is returned unchanged. If the argument of toupper() represents a lower-case letter, and there exists a corresponding upper-case letter (as defined by character type information in the program locale category LC_CTYPE), the result is the corresponding upper-case letter. All other arguments in the domain are returned unchanged. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, toupper() returns the upper-case letter corresponding to the argument passed. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
_toupper(3C), setlocale(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Aug 2002 toupper(3C)