Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Newby: How to actually update software?! Post 302865719 by sas on Saturday 19th of October 2013 12:10:43 PM
Old 10-19-2013
Newby: How to actually update software?!

Hi All -

1) I work with bigdate for a living, use lots of neat software, SAS, SQL Server, etc. I know how to get my data and such, analyze it, etc...
2) I use UNIX at work (Solaris mostly) and can easily navigate around Unix and get the job done, vi and sas -nodms are about my fav, and some python and shells here there).
3) What I am not is a Unix System Admin. Sure I get the OS, and why it is so great, i.e. / is the bees knees, /home/me, etc....
4) So I have now joined the club! I have three Linux machines at home all connected and talking and everything is great! I even installed Hadoop (well specifically: hadoop-1.2.1 at /usr/local/hadoop) by getting it all untared and such and setup and nice and pretty by doing this:
Code:
sudo mv hadoop-1.2.0/ hadoop

5) So life is great! My main node and slaves are all happy! Woohoo!
6) But now change comes, Apache releases stable release hadoop-2.2.0 three days ago!?Smilie
7) NOW WHAT?!
8) I cant download the new version, and merely do this while here /usr/local:
Code:
sudo mv hadoop-2.2.0/ hadoop

I am sure the sky would fall, baby dolphins would die and other ill effects of such awful OS understanding.

9) So I come to you all for a very basic, best practice way of doing upgrades?
10) I think I "just" follow the upgrade guide at apache re updating the Hadoop OS, but you know, there really isn't something there that says, "Well buddy, just setup /usr/local/hadoop-2.2.0 then move all the config files and whatnot to the old install (/usr/local/hadoop) to the new one (/usr/local/hadoop-2.2.0) and when you are comfortable that it's all running swell, after following our guide, well, just DELETE the whole folder: /usr/local/hadoop and then do this:
Code:
sudo mv hadoop-2.2.0/ hadoop

and life will be happily ever after lived......

You folks get what I mean?

I look at the update/install guide and think that a fundamental OS/software update process is not connecting with me. I know this isn't Windows and there is no "Update Hadoop 1.2.0 to Hadopp 2.2.0" button. But I just am a little gray on the lifecycle of Unix, I know that I have to install a full new binary at: /usr/local/hadoop-2.2.0, but I just don't know how to clean up all the mess when I am done getting the clusters all set up. I know how to do that, I just don't get how best practice is to update software???

Any intel?

I have these Hadoop clusters at home to LEARN on, if I do something wrong, oh well, just fix it all and start over. I just got sooo far and now I am feeling a little lost on how to manage my Linux clusters with updates correctly. I just want to learn, this isn't for work or anything.

Thanks in advance for your help!
/*have a great weekend!!*/

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for a newby

I am new to using nawk. When I put the following line in script file test1.awk I get the results: { print NR, length($0),NF} >nawk -f test1.awk head.txt 1 63 5 2 2622 188 3 2166 155 4 3192 228 5 2679 192 ..... but if I modify the test1.awk file to look like this: BEGIN {FS = ","}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: placroix1
2 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Software Update reporting script

I need a script that gets the output of softwareupdate -al on each machine (the list of available updates) and reports how many updates are needed in total by all the machines on the network, and the results to 4 different recipients. i.e. total patches required = 12 hostname1 =4 patch(es)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

3. SuSE

update package/software questions

Hi, In SUSE linux, it looks like that I can update the package using YAST or install the package from source. So, which way works better? Also, if i install the package of new version. Do i need to remove/delete the old version package, or I just need to change my environments and keep the old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
0 Replies
HOME(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   HOME(8)

NAME
home, 40meg, 80meg, personalize, update, Disclabel - administration for local file systems SYNOPSIS
gnot/home gnot/personalize gnot/update magnum/home magnum/personalize magnum/update pc/40meg pc/80meg pc/personalize pc/update nextstation/home nextstation/update DESCRIPTION
These programs help maintain a file system on a local disk for a private machine. Home partitions a disk, copies the appropriate kernel to the disk, and makes a new file system on the disk. To do this, it overwrites the vendor-supplied software on the disk with a copy of Plan 9. 40meg, 80meg, and 100meg configure disks and make file systems for disks of the appropriate size. Update copies the current kernel to the disk and updates files on the local file system. It only updates those files put there by the home program. Personalize removes the contents of the /usr directory on the local disk and copies a minimal set of files for the user who runs the com- mand. The file /rc/bin/nextstation/Disclabel, despite its name, is not an rc(1) script. It contains the second stage bootstrap program for Nextstations booting from local disk. Before booting a Plan 9 Nextstation from disk, it should be installed in the partition /dev/hd1label; this is normally done by nexstation/home. FILES
/lib/proto/portproto Mkfs prototype files for magnum/home, magnum/update, gnot/home, and gnot/update. /lib/proto/386proto Mkfs prototype files for pc/40meg, pc/80meg, and pc/update. SOURCE
/rc/bin/gnot/* /rc/bin/magnum/* /rc/bin/pc/* /rc/bin/nextstation/* SEE ALSO
kfs(4), mkfs(8), prep(8), wren(3) ``Installing the Plan 9 Distribution''. HOME(8)