Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare two files and get only missing names Post 302865203 by Akshay Hegde on Thursday 17th of October 2013 11:55:25 PM
Old 10-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selva_2507
I need to compare two files (oldfile1 & newfile). Need to ignore the values which are present in both files. At the same time, i need to get only records in new file.

Tried using Join -v1 -v2 oldfile1 newfile (suspect it has not worked as expected).

could anyone of you please help me here.

Show us your input and expected o/p. We will help you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing sequential file names

So, I've got a ton of files that I want to go through (ie something like 300,000), and they're all labeled sequentially. However I'm not 100% positive that they are all there. Is there any way of running through a sequence of numbers, checking if the file is in the folder, if not appending it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Julolidine
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files in two folders and delete missing ones

I do not know much about shell scripting so I am at a loss here. If someone can help me, that would be great! I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to delete all files from /dir1 and that does not have a correspondent file in /dir2. It should NOT check file suffixes in /dir2 . Why?... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaah
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare list [ names and size files ]

Hello, I've downloaded a huge amont of files I've got a list of files from a remote server. -rw-r--r-- 1 str661 strem 453465260 Dec 16 15:54 SATRYS2V1_20021218_temp_bias.nc -rw-r--r-- 1 str661 strem 17669468 Dec 16 18:01 SATRYS2V1_20021225_hdyn_bias.nc -rw-r--r-- 1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compare names of files?

hi, can somebody tell me how to compare names of files? the situation is I have 2 files file1 and file2 and I want to figure out which file has the biggest ending, in this case file2 is. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for particular files and compare the file names

Hi, Below are the 2 files in directory /tmp: masterCSF242323.img indexCSF242323.img 1) I want to compare if both the number (242323) are same in both the files. If they are same print - Files matching, else print files do not match. 2) Also if only index file is present in that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apatil65
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files

Hi, I need help in shell scripting. If someone can help me, that would be great! Problem. I want Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files. Description. I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to copy all distinct/new/unique/missing files from /dir1 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.Praveen Kumar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files containing package names and version number

I have 2 files each containing a list of same fedora packages but with different version number. I want to compare the 2 files and remove the lines containing a newer or older version number (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asya18
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files with different names in different directories

Hi, I have a requirement to compare files in different directories with different names. The files have a datestamp in their name (It might not be a sequential datetimestamp). This is for Redhat Linux. I have more than 5 directories and more than 10 file in each directory to be compared. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GosarJunk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files and find missing fields awk

Hello experts! I have 2 files. file1 is a list file containing uniquely names. e.g.: name1 number number name2 number number name5 number number name10 number number ... file2 is a data file arbitrary containing the names of file1 in paragraphs separated by "10" e.g. name4 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
3 Replies
COPY(3) 								 1								   COPY(3)

copy - Copies file

SYNOPSIS
bool copy (string $source, string $dest, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Makes a copy of the file $source to $dest. If you wish to move a file, use the rename(3) function. PARAMETERS
o $source - Path to the source file. o $dest - The destination path. If $dest is a URL, the copy operation may fail if the wrapper does not support overwriting of existing files. Warning If the destination file already exists, it will be overwritten. o $context - A valid context resource created with stream_context_create(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.4 | | | | | | | Changed the $context parameter to actually have | | | an effect. Previously, any $context was ignored. | | | | | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Added context support. | | | | | 4.3.0 | | | | | | | Both $source and $dest may now be URLs if the | | | "fopen wrappers" have been enabled. See fopen(3) | | | for more details. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 copy(3) example <?php $file = 'example.txt'; $newfile = 'example.txt.bak'; if (!copy($file, $newfile)) { echo "failed to copy $file... "; } ?> SEE ALSO
move_uploaded_file(3), rename(3), The section of the manual about handling file uploads. PHP Documentation Group COPY(3)