Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting >& redirection not working within csh script Post 302864851 by CarloM on Thursday 17th of October 2013 08:23:56 AM
Old 10-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencio
It should work the same within the cshell script on all computers, shouldn't it?
Not necessarily. Even computers running exactly the same operating system may not be running the same version of csh - it's just an installed program, which may or may not be the one that shipped with the OS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr redirection in csh script

Man pages....look at the man pages. If you don't have them, you can find them on-line. Read them when you have nothing better to do. Find new commands and new ways of doing things. The answer: The only way to direct the standard output and standard error separately is by invoking... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehoghunter
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh stderr redirection

Hi everyone, Simple scripting question here. I have: #!/bin/csh if ( -e $HOME/*.core) then rm -f $HOME/*.core >& /dev/null else echo "No core files to delete." endif But I keep getting the /home/user/*.core: no match dialog. How can I suppress this? or, why is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pwd & cd commands not working in shell script

Here is my script #!/bin/bash pwd cd /var/lib/pgsql Both "pwd" and "cd" are not executed is there any other way i can change the current working directory to /var/lib/pgsql pls help! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: perk_bud
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection not working as expected

Portion of my script below : if ; then NUMBEROFFEILDS=`cat ${BASE_SCRIPT_LOC}/standardfilecleanup.lst|grep -w ${db_file_path}|awk -F: '{print NF}'` COUNT=4 while ; do awk_var="$"`echo $COUNT` file_name1=`cat ${BASE_SCRIPT_LOC}/standardfilecleanup.lst|grep -w... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: findprakash
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl search and replace not working in csh script

I am using perl to perform a search and replace. It works at the command line, but not in the csh shell script perl -pi -e 's@/Pattern@@g' $path/$file I used the @ as my delimiter because the pattern contains "/" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NobluesFDT
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection using csh

I have a csh script which I am using to run a program set data = $argv set inmod = $argv set nxz = $argv # Remove the file extension .pmod set data = ` echo $data | awk 'BEGIN { FS=".dat" } { print $1 }' ` set inmod = ` echo $inmod | awk 'BEGIN { FS=".vmod" } { print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output redirection in script not working

I need to count the number of lines in a .txt file and put it in a variable. I am using the following code #!/bin/bash count = $(wc -l "some file.txt" | awk '{print$1}') echo $count It is giving the following error. line3: count: command not foundWhat am I doing wrong here? :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haritha.gorijav
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF is not working in csh script

cat tmp0.txt 700000 #!/bin/csh -fx set id=`cat tmp0.txt` echo $id if ("$id" == "700000") then echo "Good Morning" endif if ("$id" == "700002") then echo "Good evening" endif My output from terminal set id=`cat tmp0.txt` cat tmp0.txt echo 700000 700000 ==... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin script log redirection not working well

I have a simple script which will send a curl request and redirect the output to a log file. for i in {1..20} do curl google.com -is >>log.log & echo "request # $i" >> log.log doneAfter it completes the execution, if I run the following command I should see 20 lines because I am printing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux csh script going to Suspended (tty output) when running with & (bg)

i have strange behavior i have csh file that run java process something like this : run_server.csh #!/usr/bin/tcsh java -Dtest=testparam -cp ${TEST}/lib/device.jar:${TEST}/conf:${TEST}/lib/commons-logging-1.1.1.jar com.device.server when i run it like this :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)