Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script Entry to block 9 characters userid Post 302864759 by manalisharmabe on Thursday 17th of October 2013 05:53:10 AM
Old 10-17-2013
Script Entry to block 9 characters userid

Hi Guys,
I have one script which is used to add new user in the system.
This is how we add new user in system:-
Code:
 sudo /opt/local/bin/new-user 114 ranivarm "Rani Varma(Libo Technical User)" INC00001111

Where
114:-is the site id
ranivarm:- is userid
"Rani Varma(Libo Technical User)" :- comment
INC00001111:- ticket number
The script is little big, so here is part of that script:-
Code:
case $steps2skip in
(help)  die "$advanced";;
(password)      steps2skip=124;;
(enable)        steps2skip=123;;
([1-4]*)        ;;
esac
username=${1:?username required: $usage} shift
ticket=$3
descr="$*"

#
# assertions
#
grep -c ${group}  /etc/group >/dev/null ||
        warn "Warning: group $group is not in /etc/group"
grep -c $shell /etc/shells >/dev/null ||
        warn "Warning: shell $shell is not in /etc/shells"

warn "Checking accountname ${username:?}"
if [[ $steps2skip = *1* ]]; then
        /bin/logins -xol $username ||
                die "account $username does not exist!"
        /bin/getent passwd ${username} ||
                die "account $username does not exist!"
        eval home=~${username}
else    : step 1: creating /etc/passwd entry
        /bin/getent passwd ${username} &&
                die "account $username already exists!"
        /bin/logins -xol $username

Could you please tell me what entry should I enter and where should I insert it?
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for data entry

Hello everyone. I just registered like 17 minutes ago and am new to UNIX/Linux. I work in a small department of an animation company that does compositing tricks to fix movie frames. After our work is completed we are tasked with creating a text log that has information on what work we had... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndrewP
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find systems logged in with a particular userid

Hello All, I need to design a script to get all the systems names(IP Addresses) logged in with a particular userid say 'xyz' from different terminals. This is to track the use of the particular userid and take action if it is being misused. The script would accomplish the following steps: 1.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How do I configure sendmail to block all OUTGOING mail FROM one userid TO the world?

Hello, ENVIRONMENT: OS: Solaris 10 Sendmail: 8.13.8+Sun BACKGROUND: We had a user account that was compromised and was used as a relay. She sent out (or would have if we didn't kill sendmail) ~10K emails alerting people they just won $75K. The target for this spam was everyone internal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avikb
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP automation with special characters in userid

Hi, i am trying to automate an ftp script which is as below.But my user id has special characters(aaa\$ifg). So it is not working correctly.Can anyone help on this?I tried providing both of them in double & singe quoted. But somehow it is not picking the "\". Also tried keeping \ before the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeroticman
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mapping userid to an email in script

i have about 20 different users submitting a web form that executes a unix script in the background that sets EXECUTIONUSER to their unix id. i would like to use $EXECUTIONUSER to set their email address as EMAILADDR. of course their unix id does not match their email name either. for example: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic su password entry script

Before I start, two things. 1) Yes I know it's bad practice and obomination to all things holy, but I'm not a sys admin at JP Morgan, I'm a hobbyist tooling about in a VM, in my pants, at home. 2) If you are just going to flame for even considering hardcoding a root password, thanks, I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
2 Replies

7. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to call another script based on second column entry

Hi I have a text file (Input.txt) with two column entries separated by tab as given below: aaa str1 bbb str2 cccccc str3 dddd str4 eee str3 ssss str2 sdf str3 hhh str1 fff str2 ccc str3 ..... ..... ..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace multiple "&nbsp;" entry with in <td> tag into single entry using sed?

I have the input file like this. Input file: 12.txt 1) There are one or more than one <tr> tags in same line. 2) Some tr tags may have one <td> or more tna one <td> tags within it. 3) Few <td> tags having "<td> &nbsp; </td>". Few having more than one "&nbsp;" entry in it. <tr> some td... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cron entry to pass the value to script

0 I have a script(main.sh) which calls another script(Get_Files.sh) and gets a value in a variable like the below: File_to_Refresh="$(sh /Aug/work/Get_Files.sh /Aug/Work/Universal_File.txt)" Now I have to schedule the script main.sh for 3 different files i.e. the Universal_File.txt with 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhartiya007
2 Replies
su(1)							      General Commands Manual							     su(1)

Name
       su - substitute a user ID

Syntax
       su [username]

su - [username]

su -f [username]

Description
       The  command  requests the password of the specified username.  If the correct password is given, changes to that username without changing
       the current directory.  The user environment is unchanged except for HOME and SHELL which are taken from the password file entry for  user-
       name.   The  shell  that  is  run  is also taken from the password file entry for username.  The new user ID stays in force until the shell
       exits.

If no username is specified, `root' is assumed.	To remind the superuser of his responsibilities, the shell substitutes `#' for	its  usual
       prompt.

Options
       -f   Prevents from executing the .cshrc file, making start up faster.

-    Simulates a full login.

Diagnostics
       Sorry
	    An invalid password was supplied for the specified username.

Unknown login: username
	    The specified username was not found in the passwd database.

No directory
	    The home directory for the username is not accessible at this time (only with ``-'' argument).

No shell
	    The shell specified in the passwd database entry for username could not be executed.

Kerberos initialization failure
	    Consult your system administrator.

If enhanced security features are enabled the following error messages are also possible:

Requires secure terminal
	    Attempt to su to UID 0 on a line that is not marked secure in

User's password has expired
	    Access is denied because the password for username is expired.

This account is disabled
	    Access is denied because the auth entry corresponding to username is marked disabled.

Files
       Log file of anyone who became
			root, with a date mark.

See Also
       csh(1), sh(1), passwd(5yp), environ(7), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators
       Security Guide for Users

su(1)