Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration Post 302864739 by capitanui on Thursday 17th of October 2013 05:29:17 AM
Old 10-17-2013
Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys,

I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms.

I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas.

I want to be able to apply existing knowledge, and also expanding this knowledge by working : basic C programming, bash&unix tools(awk, sed), python(begineer), databases(oracle,mysql) etc.

I thought sometime ago at something like a log statistics application, with monitoring different kind of logs(ex: data traffic), or following errors, warnings and build graphics for this. But i haven't any idea where i could start from and i thought maybe to start with something easy.

Any other ideas that could apply to system/application administration and make use of the skill areas above?

Any idea would be appreciated.

Thank you guys.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

UNIX Command line administration and Tools

Hi Everyone I have a few things i need help with in SCO-UNIXWARE 7.1.4 that the version am running. I am an ex-Debian user and i am finding that UNIXWARE is not the cup of Coffee i like I would like to know it the following are available or are there substitutes a locate command - a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Han.nlo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information about Unix System Administration

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section... if I didn't, please forgive me :) I've been looking all over the web for information on system administration. I'd like to become a Unix System Administrator but I want to find some more info about the job. Can someone please... (54 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
54 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

4. Solaris

what is the use of /etc/project file and project administration commands?

i have two doubts.. 1. what is the use /etc/project file. i renamed this file and when i tried to switch user or login with some user account the login was happening slowly. but when i renamed it to original name it was working fine... why so? 2. unix already has useradd and grouadd for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System/Network Administration Tools

Sorry for making this post so generic. I'm trying to see if there are tools that exist that look at local network/system configurations and find problems... for example: - NTP server configured that cannot be reached (can cause the system to drift because nobody is alerted to the fact that the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

6. Hardware

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MOHA-1
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux Need ideas for graduation project based on

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Learning System Administration: What to focus on?

In the fall I am taking courses in System Admin and Networking Admin, along with Cisco classes. Sometime next year I hope to get Red Hat and CCNA certifications, then try to get some experience and a job. I am wondering what I can focus on in the meantime (and in my spare time) that will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
1 Replies
PHILOSOPHY(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     PHILOSOPHY(1)

NAME
PDL::Philosophy -- what's behind PDL? DESCRIPTION
This is an attempt to summarize some of the common spirit between pdl developers in order to answer the question "Why PDL"? If you are a PDL developer and I haven't caught your favorite ideas about PDL, please let me know! An often-asked question is: Why not settle for some of the existing systems like Matlab or IDL or GnuPlot or whatever? Major ideas The first tenet of our philosophy is the "free software" idea: software being free has several advantages (less bugs because more people see the code, you can have the source and port it to your own working environment with you, ... and of course, that you don't need to pay anything). The second idea is a pet peeve of many: many languages like matlab are pretty well suited for their specific tasks but for a different application, you need to change to an entirely different tool and regear yourself mentally. Not to speak about doing an application that does two things at once... Because we use Perl, we have the power and ease of perl syntax, regular expressions, hash tables etc at our fingertips at all times. By extending an existing language, we start from a much healthier base than languages like matlab which have grown into existence from a very small functionality at first and expanded little by little, making things look badly planned. We stand by the Perl sayings: "simple things should be simple but complicated things should be possible" and "There is more than one way to do it" (TIMTOWTDI). The third idea is interoperability: we want to be able to use PDL to drive as many tools as possible, we can connect to OpenGL or Mesa for graphics or whatever. There isn't anything out there that's really satisfactory as a tool and can do everything we want easily. And be por- table. The fourth idea is related to PDL::PP and is Tuomas's personal favorite: code should only specify as little as possible redundant info. If you find yourself writing very similar-looking code much of the time, all that code could probably be generated by a simple perl script. The PDL C preprocessor takes this to an extreme. Minor goals and purposes We want speed. Optimally, it should ultimately (e.g. with the Perl compiler) be possible to compile PDL::PP subs to C and obtain the top vectorized speeds on supercomputers. Also, we want to be able to calculate things at near top speed from inside perl, by using dataflow to avoid memory allocation and deallocation (the overhead should ultimately be only a little over one indirect function call plus couple of ifs per function in the pipe). We want handy syntax. Want to do something and cannot do it easily? Tell us about it... We want lots of goodies. A good mathematical library etc. AUTHOR
Copyright(C) 1997 Tuomas J. Lukka (lukka@fas.harvard.edu). Redistribution in the same form is allowed but reprinting requires a permission from the author. perl v5.8.0 1999-12-09 PHILOSOPHY(1)