Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Exclude Directories in my tar command Post 302864569 by blacksteel1988 on Wednesday 16th of October 2013 05:45:41 PM
Old 10-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
Specify a filename of - with -f so that you can pipe the archive itself to gzip.

Regards,
Alister
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM
tar -cvf - -X /jfma/test1/excludefile /jfma | gzip -c > /varios/restore/test.tar.gz
CarloM, thank you i was actually working with:

Code:
tar -cvf /varios/restore/test.tar -X excludefile.txt /jfma/test1/

and after that i was going to execute the gzip. Two sentences to be clear, but yours worked for me.

Thank you. God Bless.SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude multiple directories from find command?

Hi, Can some one help me how to exclude multiple directories using find command.. I have the directory structure below. /a/a1/b1 /a/c1/c2 /a/d1/d2/d3 I want to exlcude a1,c2and d3 from the above using find,can some one suggest pls.. thanks in advance... Use code tags... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories

Hi Forum. I'm trying to write a script that finds and deletes files that are older than 300 days. The script will read a table that contains the following 3 columns: 1st col: “Y” means sub-directory scan; "N" means no subdirectory scan 2nd col: sub-directory location 3rd col: File prefix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl exclude directories in command line

Hi, I use find command to list all the files in a directory and its sub-directories, but the problem is to exclude certain directories during search. Can i give the directory names in command line to skip them and search rest of the directories? For example i have directories: test ../test1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmattam
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to exclude directories and setup alias or script?

Hi, Firstly - sorry for the duplicate my other post looked like i was posting a how to for people. But i am wanting some help :P I want to search from / to find files and exclude my mounted ntfs drives. I have found this thread (Which I can't post the URL to until i have 5 posts) it's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightymouse2045
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a tar command with the --exclude option in a Debian shell script.

Hi All, I am trying to execute the following tar command with two --exclude options to suppress extract of the two directories specified. Do I need to single quote the directory paths ?? Many thanks for your help. The relevant code excerpt from the script is: cd /var/www/${SITE} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

working with tar exclude command

i have issue with tar, let me explain when i run below command it works perfectly as usual. tar -cvf /tmp/temp.tar --exclude="exclusion expression" dir my requirement is --exclude="exclusion expression" will come from another variable. so when i execute below command: tar -cvf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Tar Ball command to exclude directories

Hi, uname -a SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise I need to tar a folder /tmp/moht but do not want these three folders to be included in the tar file -> savejpg, bmpsave and imgsave I tried --exclude, -path, -not options but it says bad option Can you help me with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
GPG-ZIP(1)							 GNU Privacy Guard							GPG-ZIP(1)

NAME
gpg-zip - Encrypt or sign files into an archive SYNOPSIS
gpg-zip [options] filename1 [ filename2, ... ] directory1 [ directory2, ... ] DESCRIPTION
gpg-zip encrypts or signs files into an archive. It is an gpg-ized tar using the same format as used by PGP's PGP Zip. OPTIONS
gpg-zip understands these options: --encrypt -e Encrypt data. This option may be combined with --symmetric (for output that may be decrypted via a secret key or a passphrase). --decrypt -d Decrypt data. --symmetric -c Encrypt with a symmetric cipher using a passphrase. The default symmetric cipher used is CAST5, but may be chosen with the --cipher-algo option to gpg. --sign -s Make a signature. See gpg. --recipient user -r user Encrypt for user id user. See gpg. --local-user user -u user Use user as the key to sign with. See gpg. --list-archive List the contents of the specified archive. --output file -o file Write output to specified file file. --gpg gpgcmd Use the specified command gpgcmd instead of gpg. --gpg-args args Pass the specified options to gpg. --tar tarcmd Use the specified command tarcmd instead of tar. --tar-args args Pass the specified options to tar. --version Print version of the program and exit. --help Display a brief help page and exit. EXAMPLES
Encrypt the contents of directory 'mydocs' for user Bob to file 'test1': gpg-zip --encrypt --output test1 --gpg-args -r Bob mydocs List the contents of archive 'test1': gpg-zip --list-archive test1 DIAGNOSTICS
The program returns 0 if everything was fine, 1 otherwise. SEE ALSO
gpg(1), tar(1), The full documentation for this tool is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If GnuPG and the info program are properly installed at your site, the command info gnupg should give you access to the complete manual including a menu structure and an index. GnuPG 2.0.22 2014-06-10 GPG-ZIP(1)