Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash script for rrdtool
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script for rrdtool Post 302864371 by blackrageous on Wednesday 16th of October 2013 12:55:04 PM
Old 10-16-2013
You will need to parse the return from your snmpget's in order to supply the rrdtool with the information.

To get information
Code:
in=`snmpget -v 2c -c community IF-MIB::ifInOctets.4`
or 
in=$(snmpget -v 2c -c community IF-MIB::ifInOctets.4)

Post the format of the rrdtool command and what you want to send it from the ouput of your snmpget. You will either use cut or awk to parse the ouput. You can do this before variable assignment; something like...
Code:
in=`snmpget -v 2c -c community IF-MIB::ifInOctets.4 | awk ...`

Last edited by Don Cragun; 10-16-2013 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Fix CODE tags.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

compiling the RRDtool

I tried to compile the RRDtool on HP-UX (IA56). I have gcc-3.4.3 and perl 5.8.0 I got this: Writing Makefile for RRDs cd perl-shared && make /opt/perl/bin/perl /opt/perl/lib/5.8.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp -typemap /opt/perl/lib/5.8.0/ExtUtils/typemap RRDs.xs > RRDs.xsc && mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rrdtool question

Hi, DEF:clients=cccam.rrd:kliensek:AVERAGE DEF:activeclients=cccam_actclient.rrd:activeclients:AVERAGE "LINE1:clients#0000FF:Connected clients" COMMENT:" \n" "LINE2:activeclients#99FF00:Active clients" COMMENT:" \n" GPRINT:clients:LAST:'Current'\%5.0lf%s COMMENT:" \n"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adriankoooo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RRDtool consolidation not going as expected

Hello all, I am new to RRDtool and have made a RRDtool database with one data-source. Information of this data-source is stored in four different RRA's with different intervals for different time spans. Database create command: rrdtool create /root/mde.rrd --step 300 \... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArtOfLosing
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Why do we use RRDtool in MRTG?

Hi Guys, Why do we use RRDtool in MRTG? I have implemented MRTG for some routers, I have read some notes about RRDTOOL also but don't know what is use of these tool. Any one one please explain me the use of RRDTOOL in their own words? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python-rrdtool try except rrdtool.error module object has no attribute error

I have this code that gives this error on Linux and will be grateful if you can help import rrdtool try: ret_asd = rrdtool.update(myfile.rrd,'N:%s:%s' %(metric1, metric2)); except rrdtool.error, e: print e When i run the above i get the below error except... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaf3773
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
SNMPGET(1)							     Net-SNMP								SNMPGET(1)

NAME
snmpget - communicates with a network entity using SNMP GET requests SYNOPSIS
snmpget [COMMON OPTIONS] [-Cf] OID [OID]... DESCRIPTION
snmpget is an SNMP application that uses the SNMP GET request to query for information on a network entity. One or more object identifiers (OIDs) may be given as arguments on the command line. Each variable name is given in the format specified in variables(5). OPTIONS
-Cf If -Cf is not specified, some applications (snmpdelta, snmpget, snmpgetnext and snmpstatus) will try to fix errors returned by the agent that you were talking to and resend the request. The only time this is really useful is if you specified a OID that didn't exist in your request and you're using SNMPv1 which requires "all or nothing" kinds of requests. In addition to this option, snmpget REQUIRES options and agent arguments, as described in the snmpcmd(1) manual page. EXAMPLES
The command: snmpget -c public zeus system.sysDescr.0 will retrieve the variable system.sysDescr.0 from the host zeus using the community string public : system.sysDescr.0 = "SunOS zeus.net.cmu.edu 4.1.3_U1 1 sun4m" If the network entity has an error processing the request packet, an error packet will be returned and a message will be shown, helping to pinpoint in what way the request was malformed. If there were other variables in the request, the request will be resent without the bad variable. Here is another example. The -c and -v options are defined in the snmpcmd(1) manual page. (Note that system.sysUpTime is an incomplete OID, as it needs the .0 index appended to it): snmpget -v1 -Cf -c public localhost system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 This example will return the following: Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. This name doesn't exist: system.sysUpTime Similarly, the command: snmpget -v1 -c public localhost system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 Will return: Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. This name doesn't exist: system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 = STRING: root@localhost With the -Cf flag specified the application will not try to fix the PDU for you. SEE ALSO
snmpcmd(1), snmpwalk(1), variables(5). 4th Berkeley Distribution 08 Feb 2002 SNMPGET(1)