Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count lines and words of a stream output with tail Post 302864309 by Kibou on Wednesday 16th of October 2013 09:23:18 AM
Old 10-16-2013
Thanks for the reply.
It needs to be done to the stream coming from tail -f, not a file.

I have tried appending that at the end but it doesn't work either...

Edit-

Also, this needs to be done "on the fly" because I have to measure the time while this is done.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stream output??

Hi all, I've a structure let's say typdef struct a { int a; int b; char* string} b; I need to make the function smth like readdir(), returning everytime it's called pointer to the next structure. Let's say functions would read the next file in the directory and all the permitions put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I use the stream output in other program

Hello I wander if im doing : ls -l and its giving me lets say 3 results : -rw-r--r-- 1 blah other 1789 May 19 2003 foo.c -rw-r--r-- 1 blah other 1014 May 19 2003 foo.h -rw-r--r-- 1 blah other 270 May 19 2003 foo1.c now I would like to use the first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help needed in trying to count lines,words and characters

Hello, i am trying to write a script file in awk which yields me the number of lines,characters and words, i checked it many many times but i am not able to find any mistake in it. Please tell me where i went wrong. BEGIN{ print "Filename Lines Words Chars\n" } { filename=filename + 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the no of lines between two words

Please help in the following problem: Input is: Pritam 123 456 Patil myname youname Pritam myproject thisproject iclic Patil remaining text some more text I need the command which will display the no of lines between two words in the whole file. e.g. Display all the no of lines... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zsudarshan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting help to identify words count in lines

Hi everybody, i have this biological situation to fix: > Id.1 ACGTACANNNNNNNNNNNACGTGCNNNNNNNACTGTGGT >Id.2 ACGGGT >Id.3 ACGTNNNNNNNNNNNNACTGGGGG >Id.4 ACGTGCGNNNNNNNNGGTCANNNNNNNNCGTGCAAANNNNN ........ .... These are nucleotidic sequences with some "NNNN..." always of the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giorgio C
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines from a stream after matching a pattern

Hi, I have a requirement to to an ldapsearch and remove the shadow attributes in the output file. What I do is ldapsearch() | operation to remove shadow > FILE The ldapsearch gives output like this(with same line formation): objectClass: FSConfig objectClass: extensibleObject fsCAIP:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorzinian
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count the lines with the same values in a column and write the output to a file

Hey everyone! I have a tab delimited data set which I want to create an output contained the calculation of number of those lines with a certain value in 2nd and 3rd column. my input file is like this: ID1 1 10M AAATTTCCGG ID2 5 4M ACGT ID3 5 8M ACCTTGGA ID4 5 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words/lines between two tags using awk

Is there an efficient awk that can count the number of lines that occur in between two tags. For instance, consider the following text: <s> Hi PP - my VBD - name DT - is NN - . SENT . </s> <s> Her PP - name VBD - is DT - the NN - same WRT - . SENT - </s> I am interested to know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies
MRTG-SQUID(1)							       mrtg							     MRTG-SQUID(1)

NAME
mrtg-squid - using mrtg to monitor Squid DESCRIPTION
Squid 2.3 knows SNMP and you can therefore use mrtg to monitor it quite easily. I have made some modifications to mrtg which simplify this. My work is based on earlier modification made by: matija.grabnar@arnes.si and kostas@nlanr.net. MODIFICATIONS
I added new code for displaying correct units to the previous patches "perminute" and "perhour" ("option" tokens), which allows other mea- surement in addition to "persecond". Then I created a new option token "dorelpercent" which allows the calculation of the percentage of IN-stream / OUT-stream on the fly and then displays it on a fixed scale from 0% to 100%. For my requirements, this does good work. Maybe someone wants a floating scale. It should not be a problem to implement it, too (but give me an option to keep my fixed scale). If IN-stream is always less than OUT-stream both lines (OUT-stream and relative percent) are always displayed on top of IN-stream bulk. Otherwise this option makes no sense. With this option you can display hitrates, errorrates (for router monitoring: rel. droprates) easily now. If you use this options please consider that you need a 5th colourname/value pair in your Colours statements! Due to some discussion on this list, I have implemented two tokens too: "kilo" and "kMG" "kilo" should contain the value of k (1000 or 1024), where 1000 is the default. "kMG" is a comma separated list of multiplier prefixes, used instead of "", "k", "M", "G", "T" on the MRTG display. Leave the place free, if you want no prefix. Also an incomplete list of OIDs for the new SQUID release is added. I hope you enjoy it. CONFIG EXAMPLE
You can measure responsetimes in ms and display it with MRTG correctly with: kMG[measure-ms]: m,,k,M,G,T short[measure-ms]: s You can display now MB/s as 1024*1024 B/s with: kilo[volume]: 1024 A sample config for squid: Target[proxy-hit]: cacheHttpHits&cacheProtoClientHttpRequests:public@proxy Title[proxy-hit]: HTTP Hits PageTop[proxy-hit]: <H2>proxy Cache Statistics: HTTP Hits / Requests</H2> Suppress[proxy-hit]: y LegendI[proxy-hit]: HTTP hits LegendO[proxy-hit]: HTTP requests Legend1[proxy-hit]: HTTP hits Legend2[proxy-hit]: HTTP requests YLegend[proxy-hit]: perminute ShortLegend[proxy-hit]: req/min Options[proxy-hit]: nopercent, perminute, dorelpercent Target[proxy-srvkbinout]: cacheServerInKb&cacheServerOutKb:public@proxy Title[proxy-srvkbinout]: Cache Server Traffic In / Out PageTop[proxy-srvkbinout]: <H2>Cache Statistics: Server traffic volume (In/Out) </H2> Suppress[proxy-srvkbinout]: y LegendI[proxy-srvkbinout]: Traffic In LegendO[proxy-srvkbinout]: Traffic Out Legend1[proxy-srvkbinout]: Traffic In Legend2[proxy-srvkbinout]: Traffic Out YLegend[proxy-srvkbinout]: per minute ShortLegend[proxy-srvkbinout]: b/min kMG[proxy-srvkbinout]: k,M,G,T kilo[proxy-srvkbinout]: 1024 Options[proxy-srvkbinout]: nopercent, perminute AUTHOR
Andreas Papst <andreas.papst@univie.ac.at> Dirk-Luder Kreie <deelkar@gmx.de> 2.16.2 2008-05-16 MRTG-SQUID(1)