Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching a file inside a .tar.gz file by date Post 302864069 by erin00 on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 09:00:39 PM
Old 10-15-2013
BTW, the content of the files inside this archive contains the date the file was created.

what if I have to search for a file/s inside it by date?

Code:
gunzip -c file.tar.gz | tar tvf - | grep filename

How do I follow this up to search the file/s with a specific filename with a specific date that file was created?

And also, I know this is incorrect, but how do I make this right:

Code:
gunzip -c file.tar.gz | tar tvf - | grep filename -exec cp {} /home/myhome \;

Thanks!

Last edited by erin00; 10-16-2013 at 12:25 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching a file by date...

It's possible to use "find" to search a file that was modified for example between 5/10/2004 and 7/11/2005? How can i do this? I saw there is option -mtime, but i don't understand how to use it in this case. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kaminski
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit date entry inside a file

Hi All, I wanted to edit the date value located at /var/opt/CPsuite-R65/fw1/conf/local.scv. The date entry looks like this : :Signature (">=20100717") How can I update the date value by 1 day every other day while preserving the margins of the whole file in a shell script? I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achillesxv
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching the date pattern in a file

Hi, I would like to search the pattern based on the date like "2010/08/15". I tried using / in the file giving /<<pattern>>. when i tried this it turns to /2010/+8, but not going to the pattern what ever i want. This is how the data in the file. INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/05/26 13:30:33... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date inside a file

Hi guys I've got a file with this line inside. 200,2010,318,1000,4.377,70.9,.835,.592,.243,-.438,0,881 The line always begins with number 100 or number 200, follow the year, the day in the year, the hour, and other stuff Here, the important fields are, 2, 3 and 4. -Filed 2 --> year... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep the contents inside a tar file

Hi All I have searched the possibility of this options everywhere but am unable to find it in any forum. I have a tar file inside which there are n number of files and i dont know them. I need to grep a word inside the tar file and need to know in which file the word resides. > cat a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whiteboard
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in searching a particular string in a file name (not inside the file contents)

Dear Unix Gurus, I am new to shell scripting and in the process of learing. I am trying to find whether a file name has today's date in MMDDYYYY format. I am using the following code and it doesn't seem like working. #!/usr/bin/ksh today=$(date '+%m%d%Y') echo today: $today file=`find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching inside a .gz file without gunzip

I have a set of folders inside which there may be n number of files. All those files are in .gz extension. Now I need to search all the files without gunzip them. Also I need to read the content of a file if the search pattern is found without gunzip them. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh compare dates INSIDE a file (ie date A is > date B)

In KSH, I am pasting 2 almost identical files together and each one has a date and time on each line. I need to determine if the first instance of the date/time is greater than the 2nd instance of the date/time. If the first instance is greater, I just need to echo that line. I thought I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for unknown date inside the file and replace to new date

Hello, Iam a newbies to Shell scripting. Iam trying to replace the date inside the file to new date. is there anyway that we can just use the pattern to search as "..." I have many files want to replace with the same date, and each file contains different date. Thanks for your help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daro
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the Missing date inside the FILE?

Hi am using Unix AIX Ksh have a FILE CAT FILE 08/02/2013 16/02/2013 18/02/2013 I need the Outputs as Missing date are 09/02/2013 to 15/02/2013,17/02/2013 can anyone help me !!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
1 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)