Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out? Post 302863887 by alister on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 11:19:57 AM
Old 10-15-2013
You can answer this question yourself with a simple, brief experiment using date, echo, or any other short-lived command which generates output.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup and background process

What is the difference between running a process using nohup and running a process in background ? Please explain (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srksn
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send a new value to a variable in a running background process

Hi guys, I have a issue with a background process, I need to update the value of a variable in that process which is running at this time and it will be running for at least 2 days. Any idea? I will apreciate your help. regards. Razziel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razziel
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why the nohup-ed background process always is "stopped" ?

I let a script A call script B. I used nohup a.sh &>/tmp/log & In script A it calls B directly, without any redirecting or nohup or background. However A is always "Stopped", while B is running correctly. Anybody knows why? thanks! -----Post Update----- BTW, if I don't use nohup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meili100
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why the nohup-ed background process always is "stopped" ?

I let a script A call script B. I used nohup a.sh &>/tmp/log & In script A it calls B directly, without any redirecting or nohup or background. However A is always "Stopped", while B is running correctly. Anybody knows why? thanks! -----Post Update----- BTW, if I don't use nohup... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Foreground job to background redirecting output

I have many CPU intensive processes running and sometimes I run them in the foreground so that I can see what the output is. I want to send that foreground process to the background, but also have it direct the output to a logfile. I know to send something to the bg I do Ctrl-z on the FG... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhullbuzz
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup and background jobs

Hi All, Can someone help me in knowing the exact difference between nohup and &. The definition is quite clear but i only want to know if i run my job using & and in between i hung up my terminal. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uinx_addic
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Seeing output of background process

I'm pretty sure I had the answer to this months ago and have misplaced it. Needless to say I will bookmark it this time. I have a background process that's been running way longer than usual. It doesn't output anything to a file, so I can't 'tail -f' it. Is there a command that will enable me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output when killing a background process

I played a bit around with the Terminal and I observed something. When I start and kill a background process, there is some kind of output. After I invoked the command to start the process the first message " 13063" is directly displayed. However, after killing the process, the second message "+... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chuck Morris
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out

Shell : bash OS : Oracle Linux 6.4 I want to save the ouput of a nohup command to file other than nohup.out . Below are my 3 attempts. For both Attempt1 and Attempt2 , the redirection logs the output correctly to the output file. But I get the error "ignoring input and redirecting stderr to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup not give expected output. Non-stop running process

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script, I tested nohup but it did not help me. My code is: ffmpeg -i $input_url -c:v copy -c:a copy -listen 1 -f mpegts http://localhost:port/live/test When I open it in VLC, it starts feeding my screen and I see bitrate values. When I stop watching it,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies
NICE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   NICE(1)

NAME
nice, nohup - run a command at low priority (sh only) SYNOPSIS
nice [ -number ] command [ arguments ] nohup command [ arguments ] DESCRIPTION
Nice executes command with low scheduling priority. If the number argument is present, the priority is incremented (higher numbers mean lower priorities) by that amount up to a limit of 20. The default number is 10. The super-user may run commands with priority higher than normal by using a negative priority, e.g. `--10'. Nohup executes command immune to hangup and terminate signals from the controlling terminal. The priority is incremented by 5. Nohup should be invoked from the shell with `&' in order to prevent it from responding to interrupts by or stealing the input from the next per- son who logs in on the same terminal. FILES
nohup.out standard output and standard error file under nohup SEE ALSO
csh(1), setpriority(2), renice(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Nice returns the exit status of the subject command. BUGS
Nice and nohup are particular to sh(1). If you use csh(1), then commands executed with ``&'' are automatically immune to hangup signals while in the background. There is a builtin command nohup which provides immunity from terminate, but it does not redirect output to nohup.out. Nice is built into csh(1) with a slightly different syntax than described here. The form ``nice +10'' nices to positive nice, and ``nice -10'' can be used by the super-user to give a process more of the processor. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 8, 1986 NICE(1)