Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: "exec" with "read"
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users "exec" with "read" Post 302863507 by MadeInGermany on Monday 14th of October 2013 12:49:04 PM
Old 10-14-2013
The -n 1 makes read only one character instead of the line (up to a \n character).
Further the -r tells to not discard leading space characters (that only fits for line mode).
IMHO the stuff can be simplified to
Code:
#!/bin/bash --posix
# bash-hexdump

char="00"
val="FF"
position=0

while IFS="" read -r -n 1 char
do
    # """If the leading character is a single-quote or double-quote,
    # the value shall be the numeric value in the underlying codeset
    # of the character following the single-quote or double-quote."""
    printf -v val "%02X" "'$char"
    if [ ${#val} -gt 2 ]
    then
        position=$[ ( ${#val} - 2 ) ]
        val="${val:$position:2}"
    fi
    echo -n " $val "
done <"$1"

echo ""

Surprisingly seems a little different!?
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to request a "read" or "delivered" receipt for mails

Dears, I've written a script which allows me to send mails in different formats with different attaches. Now I still want to add a feature to this script. My users would like to be able to receive a "read" or "delivered" receipt for their mails. The script send mails on behalve of an specific... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plelie2
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from "list1" and list matches in "list2"

I want to print any matching IP addresse in List1 with List 2; List 1 List of IP addresses; 161.85.58.210 250.57.15.129 217.23.162.249 74.76.129.101 30.221.177.237 3.147.200.59 170.58.142.64 127.65.109.33 150.167.242.146 223.3.20.186 25.181.180.99 2.55.199.32 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
DWARF_GET_AT_NAME(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      DWARF_GET_AT_NAME(3)

NAME
dwarf_get_ACCESS_name, dwarf_get_AT_name, dwarf_get_ATE_name, dwarf_get_CC_name, dwarf_get_CFA_name, dwarf_get_CHILDREN_name, dwarf_get_DS_name, dwarf_get_DSC_name, dwarf_get_EH_name, dwarf_get_END_name, dwarf_get_FORM_name, dwarf_get_ID_name, dwarf_get_INL_name, dwarf_get_LANG_name, dwarf_get_LNE_name, dwarf_get_LNS_name, dwarf_get_MACINFO_name, dwarf_get_OP_name, dwarf_get_ORD_name, dwarf_get_TAG_name, dwarf_get_VIRTUALITY_name, dwarf_get_VIS_name -- retrieve the symbolic names of DWARF constants LIBRARY
DWARF Access Library (libdwarf, -ldwarf) SYNOPSIS
#include <libdwarf.h> int dwarf_get_ACCESS_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_AT_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_ATE_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_CC_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_CFA_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_CHILDREN_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_DS_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_DSC_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_EH_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_END_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_FORM_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_ID_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_INL_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_LANG_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_LNE_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_LNS_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_MACINFO_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_OP_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_ORD_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_TAG_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_VIRTUALITY_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_VIS_name(unsigned val, char **str); DESCRIPTION
These functions return the symbolic name of a numeric DWARF constant. Argument val specifies the numeric value whose symbolic name is desired. Argument str should point to a location which will hold the returned NUL-terminated string containing the symbolic name of the specified value. The list of functions and the DWARF constants that they accept are: dwarf_get_ACCESS_name() DW_ACCESS_* constants. dwarf_get_AT_name() DW_AT_* constants. dwarf_get_ATE_name() DW_ATE_* constants. dwarf_get_CC_name() DW_CC_* constants. dwarf_get_CFA_name() DW_CFA_* constants. dwarf_get_CHILDREN_name() DW_CHILDREN_* constants. dwarf_get_DS_name() DW_DS_* constants. dwarf_get_DSC_name() DW_DSC_* constants. dwarf_get_EH_name() DW_EH_PE_* constants. dwarf_get_END_name() DW_END_* constants. dwarf_get_FORM_name() DW_FORM_* constants. dwarf_get_ID_name() DW_ID_* constants. dwarf_get_INL_name() DW_INL_* constants. dwarf_get_LANG_name() DW_LANG_* constants. dwarf_get_LNE_name() DW_LNE_* constants. dwarf_get_LNS_name() DW_LNS_* constants. dwarf_get_MACINFO_name() DW_MACINFO_* constants. dwarf_get_OP_name() DW_OP_* constants. dwarf_get_ORD_name() DW_ORD_* constants. dwarf_get_TAG_name() DW_TAG_* constants. dwarf_get_VIRTUALITY_name() DW_VIRTUALITY_* constants. dwarf_get_VIS_name() DW_VIS_* constants. RETURN VALUES
These functions return DW_DLV_OK on success. If the DWARF constant denoted by argument val is not recognized, these function return DW_DLV_NO_ENTRY. SEE ALSO
dwarf(3) BSD
April 22, 2011 BSD