Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable arangement to display Post 302863475 by blackrageous on Monday 14th of October 2013 10:44:03 AM
Old 10-14-2013
I think the specific format of a message is not as important to system administrator types. A key switch for an adminstrator is a verbose option where you can turn of extraneous information and check the status code. I generally don't want a command to tell me anything if all goes well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing DISPLAY variable through rsh

I am trying to add a menu item (Openwin menu) to do an rsh and execute a script which open a graphical tool. The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to pass the display variable. The OS for both boxes is Solaris 2.6. Thanks, Chuck (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
4 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Display variable

Hi: Im trying to change the display setting from my Linux server to Linux workstation but a Refused connection by server appear. The first task that I doing is to export the DISPLAY variable on my Linux Workstation so I tried to execute several X programs with the Refused Connection message.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dansanmex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display from a variable using echo.

I have a variable that is outputting a lot of space. here has been 45 lines returned ... how can I remove the spaces between the "been and the 45" CODE: fil_len=`wc -l < coshb.txt` if ; then cat coshb.txt | more echo " " echo "There has been ${fil_len} lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop counter variable display

Hello everyone, how can I send output to the screen from a running script or tcl, in such a way that if a loop is executing I will see the rolling counter on my screen as the records are processed in the loop. I do not want the screen to scroll, though. In other words can a var's value be painted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifespan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read variable with no display

I'll be reading user name and password from the person while running a shell script so that he is authenticated. The challenge here is to read the password variable without displaying on screen. Is there a way? I presently do it displaying it on the screen as echo " please enter your... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayanandra
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to export the Display variable

I'm trying to open an xwindow on my Sun server. What am I doing wrong? # echo $SHELL /sbin/sh # # export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 DISPLAY=localhost:0.0: is not an identifier Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Configure DISPLAY variable for DB2

I am trying to install a DB2 90-day trail but I got the error with the DISPLAY, it says is not configured correctly. I cannot post the error due to I am not in my personal PC but when I type: echo $DISPLAY it shows nothing. I also tried: xclock & and nothing appears just an error. I know there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to display a tab character in variable

Hi, I'm trying to figure out a way to encapsulate a tab character, or four or five space characters into a string variable to be used in my script. I'm using the bash shell. I tried $variablename=" <string text>" but it didnt give me the output i wanted (output was still... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowlf
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DISPLAY Environment Variable

I've seen articles which say "export DISPLAY=<IP>:0" and others which say "export DISPLAY=<IP>:0.0". Can someone explain what the difference is? TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display all lines after a matching variable

Hi, I have a file called abc.txt with the following dates 2016-01-27 2016-01-28 2016-01-29 2016-01-30 2016-01-31 2016-02-01 2016-02-02 2016-02-03 I would like to print all lines below if 2016-01-31 is found, excluding that date. I use this command --> sed '1,/2016-01-31/d' abc.txt If... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagesh_1985
4 Replies
MHLIST(1)                                                            [nmh-1.5]                                                           MHLIST(1)

NAME
mhlist - list information about MIME messages SYNOPSIS
mhlist [+folder] [msgs] [-file file] [-part number] ... [-type content] ... [-headers | -noheaders] [-realsize | -norealsize] [-rcache policy] [-wcache policy] [-check | -nocheck] [-verbose | -noverbose] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
The mhlist command allows you to list information (essentially a table of contents) about the various parts of a collection of MIME (multi- media) messages. mhlist manipulates MIME (multi-media messages) as specified in RFC-2045 thru RFC-2049 (See mhbuild(1)). The -headers switch indicates that a one-line banner should be displayed above the listing. The -realsize switch tells mhlist to evaluate the "native" (decoded) format of each content prior to listing. This provides an accurate count at the expense of a small delay. If the -verbose switch is present, then the listing will show any "extra" information that is present in the message, such as comments in the "Content-Type" header. The option -file file directs mhlist to use the specified file as the source message, rather than a message from a folder. If you specify this file as "-", then mhlist will accept the source message on the standard input. Note that the file, or input from standard input should be a validly formatted message, just like any other nmh message. It should NOT be in mail drop format (to convert a file in mail drop format to a folder of nmh messages, see inc(1)). By default, mhlist will list information about the entire message (all of its parts). By using the -part and -type switches, you may limit the scope of this command to particular subparts (of a multipart content) and/or particular content types. A part specification consists of a series of numbers separated by dots. For example, in a multipart content containing three parts, these would be named as 1, 2, and 3, respectively. If part 2 was also a multipart content containing two parts, these would be named as 2.1 and 2.2, respectively. Note that the -part switch is effective for only messages containing a multipart content. If a message has some other kind of content, or if the part is itself another multipart content, the -part switch will not prevent the content from being acted upon. A content specification consists of a content type and a subtype. The initial list of "standard" content types and subtypes can be found in RFC-2046. A list of commonly used contents is briefly reproduced here: Type Subtypes ---- -------- text plain, enriched multipart mixed, alternative, digest, parallel message rfc822, partial, external-body application octet-stream, postscript image jpeg, gif, png audio basic video mpeg A legal MIME message must contain a subtype specification. To specify a content, regardless of its subtype, just use the name of the content, e.g., "audio". To specify a specific subtype, separate the two with a slash, e.g., "audio/basic". Note that regardless of the values given to the -type switch, a multipart content (of any sub- type listed above) is always acted upon. Further note that if the -type switch is used, and it is desirable to act on a message/external- body content, then the -type switch must be used twice: once for message/external-body and once for the content externally referenced. Checking the Contents The -check switch tells mhlist to check each content for an integrity checksum. If a content has such a checksum (specified as a Content- MD5 header field), then mhlist will attempt to verify the integrity of the content. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
mhbuild(1), mhshow(1), mhstore(1), sendfiles(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nocheck' `-headers' `-realsize' `-rcache ask' `-wcache ask' `-noverbose' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. The last message selected will become the current message. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MHLIST(1)