Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help! Zombies
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help! Zombies Post 302863263 by alister on Sunday 13th of October 2013 01:18:56 PM
Old 10-13-2013
Hi, methyl.

Your post does not describe zombies (processes which have already exited), but living processes which are permanently stuck in an uninterruptible sleep (as you mentioned, typically due to a driver bug and/or hardware fault).

Regards,
Alister

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

Okay, I'm working within ansi C and Sun Solaris 7. I have a problem with zombies. I'm currently using the kill command to return the status of a process. How do I check for Zombie PIDs or the right function to return its PID from within a C program? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karpolu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No zombies!

Is there a command that will automaticaly go through and kill all children when you try to kill the parent process. Thanks, David (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nucca
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How can i kill Zombies

Hi All I need help, how can i kill zombies instead of rebooting the system. Regards System: sna Tue Apr 5 17:50:23 2005 Load averages: 0.05, 0.15, 0.22 168 processes: 157 sleeping, 5 running, 6 zombies Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
5 Replies

4. Programming

FreeBSD, fork() and zombies

i'm writing small http proxy server (accept client -> connect to remote proxy server -> recv client's request -> send to remote proxy server -> get responce from remote proxy server -> send answer to client -> close connection to client and to remote proxy server) and having problems with fork().... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PsycoMan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

I had a problem deleting a zombie process. It refused to be killed. I even tried kill -9 process# but it refused. Any other way of killing it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorn
7 Replies

6. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies
wait(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   wait(3)

NAME
wait - check child process status SYNTAX
#include <wait.h> int wait_nohang(&wstat); int wait_stop(&wstat); int wait_stopnohang(&wstat); int wait_pid(&wstat,pid); int wait_exitcode(wstat); int wait_crashed(wstat); int wait_stopped(wstat); int wait_stopsig(wstat); int pid; int wstat; DESCRIPTION
wait_nohang looks for zombies (child processes that have exited). If it sees a zombie, it eliminates the zombie, puts the zombie's exit status into wstat, and returns the zombie's process ID. If there are several zombies, wait_nohang picks one. If there are children but no zombies, wait_nohang returns 0. If there are no children, wait_nohang returns -1, setting errno appropriately. wait_stopnohang is similar to wait_nohang, but it also looks for children that have stopped. wait_stop is similar to wait_stopnohang, but if there are children it will pause waiting for one of them to stop or exit. wait_pid waits for child process pid to exit. It eliminates any zombie that shows up in the meantime, discarding the exit status. wait_stop and wait_pid retry upon error_intr. STATUS PARSING
If the child stopped, wait_stopped is nonzero; wait_stopsig is the signal that caused the child to stop. If the child exited by crashing, wait_stopped is zero; wait_crashed is nonzero. If the child exited normally, wait_stopped is zero; wait_crashed is zero; and wait_exitcode is the child's exit code. SEE ALSO
wait(2), error(3) wait(3)