Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help! Zombies
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help! Zombies Post 302863263 by alister on Sunday 13th of October 2013 01:18:56 PM
Old 10-13-2013
Hi, methyl.

Your post does not describe zombies (processes which have already exited), but living processes which are permanently stuck in an uninterruptible sleep (as you mentioned, typically due to a driver bug and/or hardware fault).

Regards,
Alister

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

Okay, I'm working within ansi C and Sun Solaris 7. I have a problem with zombies. I'm currently using the kill command to return the status of a process. How do I check for Zombie PIDs or the right function to return its PID from within a C program? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karpolu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No zombies!

Is there a command that will automaticaly go through and kill all children when you try to kill the parent process. Thanks, David (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nucca
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How can i kill Zombies

Hi All I need help, how can i kill zombies instead of rebooting the system. Regards System: sna Tue Apr 5 17:50:23 2005 Load averages: 0.05, 0.15, 0.22 168 processes: 157 sleeping, 5 running, 6 zombies Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
5 Replies

4. Programming

FreeBSD, fork() and zombies

i'm writing small http proxy server (accept client -> connect to remote proxy server -> recv client's request -> send to remote proxy server -> get responce from remote proxy server -> send answer to client -> close connection to client and to remote proxy server) and having problems with fork().... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PsycoMan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

I had a problem deleting a zombie process. It refused to be killed. I even tried kill -9 process# but it refused. Any other way of killing it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorn
7 Replies

6. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies
sleep(9r)																 sleep(9r)

NAME
sleep - General: Puts a calling process to sleep SYNOPSIS
void sleep( caddr_t *channel, long pri ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a unique address associated with the calling kernel thread to be put to sleep. Specifies whether the sleep request is interrupt- ible. Setting this argument to the PCATCH flag causes the process to sleep in an interruptible state (that is, the kernel thread can take asynchronous signals). Not setting the PCATCH flag causes the process to sleep in an uninterruptible state (that is, the kernel thread can- not take asynchronous signals). DESCRIPTION
The sleep routine puts a calling process to sleep on the address specified by the channel argument. Some common addresses are the lbolt argument, a buf structure, and a proc structure. This address should be unique to prevent unexpected wake/sleep cycles, which can occur if different processes are sleeping on the same address accidentally. If you set the PCATCH flag in the pri argument, the sleep routine puts signals on the queue and does not wake up the sleeping process. The sleep and wakeup routines block and then wake up a process. Generally, device drivers call these routines to wait for the transfer to complete an interrupt from the device. That is, the write routine of the device driver sleeps on the address of a known location, and the device's Interrupt Service Interface (ISI) wakes the process when the device interrupts. It is the responsibility of the wakened process to check if the condition for which it was sleeping has been removed. NOTES
The operating system provides two ways to put a process to sleep: interruptible and uninterruptible. The sleep routine performs an uninter- ruptible sleep operation if you do not set the PCATCH flag and an interruptible sleep operation if you set the PCATCH flag. This means that device drivers cannot call sleep at interrupt context because at interrupt context there is no calling process to be put to sleep. Thus, a device driver's Interrupt Service Interface (ISI) and those routines called from within the ISI must not call the sleep routine. On this operating system, you cannot use pri to set the scheduling priority of the calling process. RETURN VALUES
None FILES
SEE ALSO
Routines: wakeup(9r) sleep(9r)