Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut a File
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cut a File Post 302863063 by Don Cragun on Saturday 12th of October 2013 03:55:19 AM
Old 10-12-2013
Look at your system's man page for the ftruncate() function.

If you need more help than this, you're going to have to convince me that this is not a misfiled homework assignment.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating file from an existing file using CUT, is it the best option?

Dear All, I have a requirement in which i have to load a file placed in FTP location onto my database. The process i'll follow is as below: 1) Get the files using FTP. 2) Create the desired load files as i have to load only 19 fields out of the 104 available in the file. The fields i require... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishekakaomi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut lines from log file and save it another file

Dears, i want cut the lines from a log file. Example of the log file as follows.. May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMDeliverContrUtil isDeliverSM FINE: May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMUtil addSysUpMsgLog INFO: . The message content... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonypalokkaran
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required the cut the whole contents from one file and paste it into new file

Hi, First of all sincere apologies if I have posted in a wrong section ! Please correct me if I am wrong ! I am very new to UNIX scripting. Currently my problem is that I have a code file at the location /home/usr/workarea/GeneratedLogs.log :- Code :- (Feb 7, 571 7:07:29 AM),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a pipe delimited file and paste it with another file to form a comma separated outputfile

Hello ppl I have a requirement to split (cut in unix) a file (A.txt) which is a pipe delimited file into A1.txt and A2.txt Now I have to join (paste in unix) this A2.txt with external file A3.txt to form output file A4.txt which should be CSV (comma separated file) so that third party can... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldev
25 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
FTRUNCATE(3P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual						     FTRUNCATE(3P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
ftruncate - truncate a file to a specified length SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int ftruncate(int fildes, off_t length); DESCRIPTION
If fildes is not a valid file descriptor open for writing, the ftruncate() function shall fail. If fildes refers to a regular file, the ftruncate() function shall cause the size of the file to be truncated to length. If the size of the file previously exceeded length, the extra data shall no longer be available to reads on the file. If the file previously was smaller than this size, ftruncate() shall either increase the size of the file or fail. XSI-conformant systems shall increase the size of the file. If the file size is increased, the extended area shall appear as if it were zero-filled. The value of the seek pointer shall not be modi- fied by a call to ftruncate(). Upon successful completion, if fildes refers to a regular file, the ftruncate() function shall mark for update the st_ctime and st_mtime fields of the file and the S_ISUID and S_ISGID bits of the file mode may be cleared. If the ftruncate() function is unsuccessful, the file is unaffected. If the request would cause the file size to exceed the soft file size limit for the process, the request shall fail and the implementation shall generate the SIGXFSZ signal for the thread. If fildes refers to a directory, ftruncate() shall fail. If fildes refers to any other file type, except a shared memory object, the result is unspecified. If fildes refers to a shared memory object, ftruncate() shall set the size of the shared memory object to length. If the effect of ftruncate() is to decrease the size of a shared memory object or memory mapped file and whole pages beyond the new end were previously mapped, then the whole pages beyond the new end shall be discarded. If the Memory Protection option is supported, references to discarded pages shall result in the generation of a SIGBUS signal; otherwise, the result of such references is undefined. If the effect of ftruncate() is to increase the size of a shared memory object, it is unspecified whether the contents of any mapped pages between the old end-of-file and the new are flushed to the underlying object. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, ftruncate() shall return 0; otherwise, -1 shall be returned and errno set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The ftruncate() function shall fail if: EINTR A signal was caught during execution. EINVAL The length argument was less than 0. EFBIG or EINVAL The length argument was greater than the maximum file size. EFBIG The file is a regular file and length is greater than the offset maximum established in the open file description associated with fildes. EIO An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to a file system. EBADF or EINVAL The fildes argument is not a file descriptor open for writing. EINVAL The fildes argument references a file that was opened without write permission. EROFS The named file resides on a read-only file system. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
None. RATIONALE
The ftruncate() function is part of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 as it was deemed to be more useful than truncate(). The truncate() function is provided as an XSI extension. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
open(), truncate(), the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <unistd.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 FTRUNCATE(3P)