Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Apt-get update wont run and gives 503 service unavailable error Post 302862963 by prash358 on Friday 11th of October 2013 05:13:11 PM
Old 10-11-2013
rpm package is already installed, just tried to run reinstall to see if it fixes the issue.

Code:
dpkg -s rpm
Package: rpm
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 448
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 4.9.1.1-1ubuntu0.1
Replaces: manpages-pl (<< 20051017-1)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libelf1 (>= 0.131), libpopt0 (>= 1.14), librpm2 (>= 4.9.0), librpmbuild2 (>= 4.9.0), librpmio2 (>= 4.9.0), librpmsign0 (>= 4.9.0), perl, rpm2cpio, rpm-common (= 4.9.1.1-1ubuntu0.1)
Suggests: alien, elfutils, rpm-i18n
Breaks: man-db (<< 2.5.0-1), manpages-pl (<< 20051017-1)
Description: package manager for RPM
 The RPM Package Manager (RPM) is a command-line driven package
 management system capable of installing, uninstalling, verifying,
 querying, and updating computer software packages.
 On Debian and derived systems it is recommended to use "alien" to
 convert RPM packages into .deb format instead of bypassing the Debian
 package management system by installing them directly with rpm.
Homepage: rpm - Trac
Original-Maintainer: Michal ÄŒihaÅ™ <nijel@debian.org>

Last edited by Scott; 10-11-2013 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Quote tags -> Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

apt-get update not working

Hi all, Till now i was able to do apt-get update. but today i started to the following error: # apt-get update E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (2 No such file or directory) E: Unable to lock the list directory # Could any one let me know how to solve it. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gauri
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why wont this script run?

i have this script i wrote, it chokes when running the add install client commandit keeps telling me the add_install_client command is incorrect. When I put the print statement in front of the command so it will echo it, the command looks right on the screen. Yes im am an ametuer, im trying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

emacs wont run

hi i keep getting this error message when i try and run emacs: /usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: pthread_mutex_init (code) from ./emacs Abort any ideas? thanks ed. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deusprogrammer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script wont run

$ ls -l total 44 drwx------ 2 ivanachu users 512 Dec 6 19:15 VILEARN -rw------- 1 ivanachu users 74 Dec 5 18:42 cond -rwx------ 1 ivanachu users 97 Dec 5 21:30 cond2 -rwxrwxrwx 1 ivanachu users 4979 Feb 10 22:42 createHAqmgr.ksh -rw------- 1 ivanachu users 28 Dec 4... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivanachukapawn
10 Replies

5. Programming

IO Error - xmal feed wont run

Keep getting IO Error and •nonnumeric port: '' (InvalidURL; misconfigured server?) This in relation to RSS feeds. We have done a load of work to try to get RSS feeds working. Now they work. But they wont validate. http://www.ukcitymedia.co.uk/news/rss.php?feed=New_News ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alankeys
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fork: Resource temporarily unavailable , server unexpectedly unavailable network connection

Solaris 10 Server refuse to connect :wall: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable , server unexpectedly unavailable network connection , refuse error, disconnect message, fatal error type2, (protocol error type2) Issue has been resolved after taken few steps :b: First of all need to check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taherahmed
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System snmp service is unavailable

Hello, am working on a suse linux system and trying to connect the server to the monitoring system we use. On checking the logs, i see that the snmp service is unavailable and would appreciate any help on how to fix this. snmpd stop - done snmpd start - done snmpd status - unused (instead... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mena
16 Replies

8. HP-UX

Why wont my Service Guard Package Fail?

Hi There I have a 2 node failover SG cluster, with a 4 packages running, that due to various reason I cant fail over/test for a while. Therefore have created a test package to test over the 2 nodes. The package resources include a presented LUN from our HP SAN and a package IP address. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pentat0nicc
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo apt-get update fail: Malformed line 59

I am trying to update/add a repository. Whenever I try to do a sudo apt-get update I get the message: E: Malformed line 59 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse) E: The list of sources could not be read. and when I do: gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list I see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayak
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl/http 503 error with bash script

I am trying to use REST API and curl in a bash script to generate a http report. The curl command at the end of the script should generate a html file but instead I get an error "HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable". This is the script #!/bin/bash export... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
7 Replies
DEBCONF-APT-PROGRESS(1) 					      Debconf						   DEBCONF-APT-PROGRESS(1)

NAME
debconf-apt-progress - install packages using debconf to display a progress bar SYNOPSIS
debconf-apt-progress [--] command [args ...] debconf-apt-progress --config debconf-apt-progress --start debconf-apt-progress --from waypoint --to waypoint [--] command [args ...] debconf-apt-progress --stop DESCRIPTION
debconf-apt-progress installs packages using debconf to display a progress bar. The given command should be any command-line apt frontend; specifically, it must send progress information to the file descriptor selected by the "APT::Status-Fd" configuration option, and must keep the file descriptors nominated by the "APT::Keep-Fds" configuration option open when invoking debconf (directly or indirectly), as those file descriptors will be used for the debconf passthrough protocol. The arguments to the command you supply should generally include -y (for apt-get or aptitude) or similar to avoid the apt frontend prompting for input. debconf-apt-progress cannot do this itself because the appropriate argument may differ between apt frontends. The --start, --stop, --from, and --to options may be used to create a progress bar with multiple segments for different stages of installation, provided that the caller is a debconf confmodule. The caller may also interact with the progress bar itself using the debconf protocol if it so desires. debconf locks its config database when it starts up, which makes it unfortunately inconvenient to have one instance of debconf displaying the progress bar and another passing through questions from packages being installed. If you're using a multiple-segment progress bar, you'll need to eval the output of the --config option before starting the debconf frontend to work around this. See "EXAMPLES" in the EXAMPLES section below. OPTIONS
--config Print environment variables necessary to start up a progress bar frontend. --start Start up a progress bar, running from 0 to 100 by default. Use --from and --to to use other endpoints. --from waypoint If used with --start, make the progress bar begin at waypoint rather than 0. Otherwise, install packages with their progress bar beginning at this "waypoint". Must be used with --to. --to waypoint If used with --start, make the progress bar end at waypoint rather than 100. Otherwise, install packages with their progress bar ending at this "waypoint". Must be used with --from. --stop Stop a running progress bar. --no-progress Avoid starting, stopping, or stepping the progress bar. Progress messages from apt, media change events, and debconf questions will still be passed through to debconf. --dlwaypoint percentage Specify what percent of the progress bar to use for downloading packages. The remainder will be used for installing packages. The default is to use 15% for downloading and the remaining 85% for installing. --logfile file Send the normal output from apt to the given file. --logstderr Send the normal output from apt to stderr. If you supply neither --logfile nor --logstderr, the normal output from apt will be discarded. -- Terminate options. Since you will normally need to give at least the -y argument to the command being run, you will usually need to use -- to prevent that being interpreted as an option to debconf-apt-progress itself. EXAMPLES
Install the GNOME desktop and an X window system development environment within a progress bar: debconf-apt-progress -- aptitude -y install gnome x-window-system-dev Install the GNOME, KDE, and XFCE desktops within a single progress bar, allocating 45% of the progress bar for each of GNOME and KDE and the remaining 10% for XFCE: #! /bin/sh set -e case $1 in '') eval "$(debconf-apt-progress --config)" "$0" debconf ;; debconf) . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule debconf-apt-progress --start debconf-apt-progress --from 0 --to 45 -- apt-get -y install gnome debconf-apt-progress --from 45 --to 90 -- apt-get -y install kde debconf-apt-progress --from 90 --to 100 -- apt-get -y install xfce4 debconf-apt-progress --stop ;; esac RETURN CODE
The exit code of the specified command is returned, unless the user hit the cancel button on the progress bar. If the cancel button was hit, a value of 30 is returned. To avoid ambiguity, if the command returned 30, a value of 3 will be returned. AUTHORS
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-APT-PROGRESS(1)