Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Linux LVM.. Grub not loading from replaced disk Post 302862257 by cjcox on Thursday 10th of October 2013 10:32:51 AM
Old 10-10-2013
Just guessing if this is sda, that perhaps it also holds the boot block? You'll need to copy that via some other mechanism. Again... just guessing...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

disk adding through lvm

Hi dear(s) Can u explain how to add a disk through lvm with commands. I need to add a 9 gb scsi HS disk to a Hp D class 9000 server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreekumar.R
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GRUB and booting from LVM volumes?

I'm setting-up my new computer, and would like to try out and switch between several OS (mostly different Linux distros). As I prefer to use separate partition for various dirs (/, home, usr, var, opt and perhaps local), I've come to the conclution that I'll run-out of partitions too soon, so I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koppe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grub loading stage 1.5.

Hi people,I am trying to install Debian Lenny Betta-2 on a system that has the built in promise chip for "Raid 0" but when I finished the install and then I reboot ,I get "grub loading,pleas wate... Error 2. also the Debian Lenny Betta-2 is identifying both drives ,instead of a singular drive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegreatalsky
4 Replies

4. AIX

Disk I/O Issue using LVM

We have a filesystem which contains 8 hard disks but i am facing disk I/O issue becuase data is not spreading across all the disks.Is there any way i can check how data is spreading and any parameter we need to change to spread ata across all disks. OS--AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukatru
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Grub is not loading the correct kernel

All I am trying to get RHEL 5.4 to load to the XEN enabled kernel but I am not having much luck. My grub.conf looks like it has 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5xen as the 1st one but when I do a uname -a I get the NON xen enabled kernel. I know I am doing something stupid but if anybody has any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razor3928
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Veritas not attaching replaced disk

Hi, I`m on SunFire480R with Solaris 10. Disk in rootdg group failed, so it was replaced. However, I cannot make Veritas initalise the replaced disk: # vxdctl enable # vxdisk list c1t0d0s2 Device: c1t0d0s2 devicetag: c1t0d0 type: auto flags: online error private autoconfig... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: masloff
1 Replies

7. Linux

Grub not loading from replaced disk

Hi, a little while ago, one of the GPT Partitioned hard disk had gone faulty in a Mirror RAID and is now successfully replaced. here is how I did that. 1) created identical partition table on the new disk. 2) attached the mirrors using md commands. The whole procedure is given below:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

LVM: is possible to replace a disk?

Scenario1: VG00 lvm,not mirrored,2 disk of 36GB vg size VG00 size is under 30G. Is possible to remove a disk of 36GB and replace "on fly" with a disk of 300GB on VG00? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM, Troubles with adding another Disk

I am having trouble with LVM and one of my physical volumes. Using Ubuntu Desktop 14.04 I was trying to set up LVM across two disks (not containing the OS or Home). First I created the initial Physical Volume, the Volume Group, and the Logical volume, and everything seemed fine. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JR_ULFOR
2 Replies

10. AIX

Replaced pdisk not showing up in SAS Disk Array Configuration

OSLevel: 5300-10-02-0943 System Model: IBM,8203-E4A Power 6 == Hi! I replaced a failed pdisk in the raid enclosure as follows, - rmdev -l 'pdisk18' '-d' - Replaced it. - cfgmgr (detected) - I can see the new drive, with the correct serial # lscfg -v -l pdisk18 pdisk18... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estrar
2 Replies
KPARTX(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 KPARTX(8)

NAME
kpartx - Create device maps from partition tables SYNOPSIS
kpartx [-a | -d | -l] [-v] wholedisk DESCRIPTION
This tool, derived from util-linux' partx, reads partition tables on specified device and create device maps over partitions segments detected. It is called from hotplug upon device maps creation and deletion. OPTIONS
-a Add partition mappings -r Readonly partition mappings -r Read-only partition mappings -d Delete partition mappings -u Update partition mappings -l List partition mappings that would be added -a -p set device name-partition number delimiter -f force creation of mappings; overrides 'no_partitions' feature -g force GUID partition table (GPT) -v Operate verbosely -s Sync mode. Don't return until the partitions are created EXAMPLE
To mount all the partitions in a raw disk image: kpartx -av disk.img This will output lines such as: loop3p1 : 0 20964762 /dev/loop3 63 The loop3p1 is the name of a device file under /dev/mapper which you can use to access the partition, for example to fsck it: fsck /dev/mapper/loop3p1 When you're done, you need to remove the devices: kpartx -d disk.img SEE ALSO
multipath(8) multipathd(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
This man page was assembled By Patrick Caulfield for the Debian project. From documentation provided by the multipath author Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@opensvc.com> and others. July 2006 KPARTX(8)