Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get status of dd running in background job Post 302861525 by sea on Wednesday 9th of October 2013 08:29:44 AM
Old 10-09-2013
Sadly i get this on 'copy-paste':
Code:
> done
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
^C
130 /home/simon #

It cant find the $PID the way you did, and even when applying my pid retrieval, the output is hidden Smilie

EDIT: /* removed 3 appended posts as its working now.. */

This seems to be working: Smilie
Code:
    dd if=$SOURCE of=$TARGET 2> $TUI_TEMP_FILE &
    PID=$(ps|grep -v tui|grep dd|awk '{print $1}')
    while [[ ! "" = "$(ps|grep -v tui|grep dd|awk '{print $1}')" ]]
    do     kill -USR1 $PID 2>&1
        SIZE=($(grep "," $TUI_TEMP_FILE|awk '{print $3$4}'))
        [[ ${#SIZE[@]} -eq 1 ]] && max=0 || max=$[ ${#SIZE[@]} - 1 ]
        tui-printf "Writing $SOURCE to $TARGET" "${SIZE[$max]}" "[  $(tui-indi)   ]"
        sleep 0.7
    done

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by sea; 10-09-2013 at 11:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job

Hiya, Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdbooth
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hw to Know the status of running JoB

Hi all, I am running a job .. and i want to know the status tht it is runnig or not .. and how can i find the jobId of my job .. I have to get it to kill my running job Pls let me know da Unix commands to do it .. i m wrking on Hp UNIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop. I am not able to know the status of that job . Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanta
8 Replies

4. AIX

Question on background running job

Guys, We use AIX 5.3 at our work place. I only in my team have a strange problem of not able run jobs background. Other colleagues are able to run without any problem. Once I kick off background job using nohup and & command, It immediately stops. The following error I get when I run. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandsbr
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Job Status for running shell script

Hello, I am running a shell script whose execution often takes several hours to complete. Is there way I can get some kind of status update as the job is running? Something as simple as the start and the current time stamp. Thanks, Gussi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the exit status of the script running in background

Hi All, I have a scenario where I am executing some child shell scripts in background (using &)through a master parent script. Is there a way I can capture the exit status of each individual child script after the execution is completed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

suspend a *background* running job

Is there a way to suspend (TSTP?) a job that is running in the background, _without_ first bringing it to the foreground and inputting Ctrl-Z from the keyboard? IOW, something similar to issuing the shell's bg builtin command on a job ID to resume a job that is suspended in the background,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Is user cron job running in background?

Hi, Should the user jobs specified in crontab be running in background? Cron daemon is already running in background. So I am not sure whether should the jobs (output and error messages are redirected to file) ran by it be explicitly stated to be run in background (& at end of command) if one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe_x
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operand(s). Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following pids have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill function is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD