Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wrong result return from script Post 302861401 by ken6503 on Tuesday 8th of October 2013 11:10:07 PM
Old 10-09-2013
Wrong result return from script

Hi Gurus,

I need a script to compare two files: sample file like below:
list:
Code:
cde,file4
cde,file5
def,file6
def,file7
def,file8
abc,file1
abc,file2
abc,file3
acd,file9
acd,file10

tmp
Code:
file1
file2
file3
file4
file5
file6

I want to compare tmp file file name with list file 2nd column, if file name in both file, then print entire record from list, if file name only exists in list then print "not found" plus the record. for above two file, I except get below result:
Code:
cde,file4
cde,file5
def,file6
Not Found def,file7
Not Found def,file8
abc,file1
abc,file2
abc,file3
Not Found acd,file9
Not Found acd,file10

I tried below script, but the output is wrong.
Code:
awk -F"," 'NR==FNR{a[$1];next}{if (a[$2])print a[$1],$0;else print "Not Found", $0;}'  tmp list

the output as below:
Code:
Not Found cde,file4
Not Found cde,file5
Not Found def,file6
Not Found def,file7
Not Found def,file8
Not Found abc,file1
Not Found abc,file2
Not Found abc,file3
Not Found acd,file9
Not Found acd,file10

Hope the experts in the forum take a look, tell me where I did wrong and how to fix this.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick up the return code for every iteration and display the result only once in loop.

Hi All, I amlearning UNIX scripting. I have a small query. I would be thankful if any one helps me out. I have a below piece of code which delets the files. If file dosent have the permissions to delete a particular file I have used 2>>operator to track the error code. But my objective is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to grep a string in directories and return the result with diskusage aswell?

What Im basically trying to do is this: I have a small script that can grep any parameter entered into a search string, then print to the screen the name of each file the parameter appears in as well as the file path, ie the directory. The code Im using just for this is.... Directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eddeh
3 Replies

3. Solaris

df command on Sol8 machine doesn't return a result

I have a sun4u system running Solaris 8. I tried running the df command but it returns a blank result. Also I'm unable to collect an explorer from this system as the OS complains that the disk is full. What could be going on here? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dperry1973
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for string and return binary result?

Hi, I have a problem that I am sure someone will know the answer to. Currently I have a script which returns a binary output if it finds a certain search string (in this case relating to a DRBD cluster) as follows: searchstring="cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate" && echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: almightybunghol
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of Catching Return Value from Sub_script.sh to Main_script.sh is not as Expected

Main_script.sh #! /bin/sh ./Sub_script.sh rc=$? echo "Return code from Sub_script.sh : $rc" if ; then echo "$rc = 991" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 992" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 0" echo "" exit 1 fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query the table and return values to shell script and search result values from another files.

Hi, I need a shell script, which would search the result values from another files. 1)execute " select column1 from table_name" query on the table. 2)Based on the result, need to be grep from .wft files. could please explain about this.Below is the way i am using. #!/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rami Reddy
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File command return wrong filetype while file holds group separator char.

hi, I am trying to get the FileType using the File command. I have one file, which holds Group separator along with ASCII character. It's a Text file. But when I ran the File command the FileType is coming as "data". It should be "ASCII, Text file". Is the latest version of File... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arpitak29
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python - Function print vs return - whats wrong

All, I have a basic buzz program written in python with return function. If i change return with print,it works fine but i want to know whats wrong with return statement.Can anyone help me whats wrong with this #!/usr/bin/python def div4and6(s,e): for i in range(s,e+1): if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oky
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)