Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get status of dd running in background job Post 302861299 by Corona688 on Tuesday 8th of October 2013 02:09:25 PM
Old 10-08-2013
Code:
( dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null 2>&1 |
        awk -F"[()]" '/copied/ {print $2}' ) &

PID=$(pgrep -u $USER dd) # Get the PID, since we don't get it in $!
trap "kill $PID" EXIT # Stop the background proc on accidental quit

while ps $PID >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
do
        sleep 1
        kill -USR1 $PID
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job

Hiya, Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdbooth
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hw to Know the status of running JoB

Hi all, I am running a job .. and i want to know the status tht it is runnig or not .. and how can i find the jobId of my job .. I have to get it to kill my running job Pls let me know da Unix commands to do it .. i m wrking on Hp UNIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop. I am not able to know the status of that job . Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanta
8 Replies

4. AIX

Question on background running job

Guys, We use AIX 5.3 at our work place. I only in my team have a strange problem of not able run jobs background. Other colleagues are able to run without any problem. Once I kick off background job using nohup and & command, It immediately stops. The following error I get when I run. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandsbr
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Job Status for running shell script

Hello, I am running a shell script whose execution often takes several hours to complete. Is there way I can get some kind of status update as the job is running? Something as simple as the start and the current time stamp. Thanks, Gussi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the exit status of the script running in background

Hi All, I have a scenario where I am executing some child shell scripts in background (using &)through a master parent script. Is there a way I can capture the exit status of each individual child script after the execution is completed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

suspend a *background* running job

Is there a way to suspend (TSTP?) a job that is running in the background, _without_ first bringing it to the foreground and inputting Ctrl-Z from the keyboard? IOW, something similar to issuing the shell's bg builtin command on a job ID to resume a job that is suspended in the background,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Is user cron job running in background?

Hi, Should the user jobs specified in crontab be running in background? Cron daemon is already running in background. So I am not sure whether should the jobs (output and error messages are redirected to file) ran by it be explicitly stated to be run in background (& at end of command) if one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe_x
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies
GEARMANCLIENT.DOBACKGROUND(3)						 1					     GEARMANCLIENT.DOBACKGROUND(3)

GearmanClient::doBackground - Run a task in the background

SYNOPSIS
public string GearmanClient::doBackground (string $function_name, string $workload, [string $unique]) DESCRIPTION
Runs a task in the background, returning a job handle which can be used to get the status of the running task. PARAMETERS
o $function_name - A registered function the worker is to execute o $workload - Serialized data to be processed o $unique - A unique ID used to identify a particular task RETURN VALUES
The job handle for the submitted task. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Submit and monitor a background job The worker in this example has an artificial delay introduced to mimic a long running job. The client script periodically checks the status of the running job. <?php /* create our object */ $gmclient= new GearmanClient(); /* add the default server */ $gmclient->addServer(); /* run reverse client */ $job_handle = $gmclient->doBackground("reverse", "this is a test"); if ($gmclient->returnCode() != GEARMAN_SUCCESS) { echo "bad return code "; exit; } $done = false; do { sleep(3); $stat = $gmclient->jobStatus($job_handle); if (!$stat[0]) // the job is known so it is not done $done = true; echo "Running: " . ($stat[1] ? "true" : "false") . ", numerator: " . $stat[2] . ", denomintor: " . $stat[3] . " "; } while(!$done); echo "done! "; ?> The above example will output something similar to: Running: true, numerator: 3, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 6, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 9, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 12, denomintor: 14 Running: false, numerator: 0, denomintor: 0 done! SEE ALSO
GearmanClient::doNormal, GearmanClient::doHigh, GearmanClient::doLow, GearmanClient::doHighBackground, GearmanClient::doLowBackground. PHP Documentation Group GEARMANCLIENT.DOBACKGROUND(3)