Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get status of dd running in background job Post 302861293 by Corona688 on Tuesday 8th of October 2013 02:04:43 PM
Old 10-08-2013
One problem: dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/zero quits instantly on my system. /dev/zero isn't something you can write to.

Also: 2&>1 is garbled, you want 2>&1.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job

Hiya, Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdbooth
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hw to Know the status of running JoB

Hi all, I am running a job .. and i want to know the status tht it is runnig or not .. and how can i find the jobId of my job .. I have to get it to kill my running job Pls let me know da Unix commands to do it .. i m wrking on Hp UNIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop. I am not able to know the status of that job . Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanta
8 Replies

4. AIX

Question on background running job

Guys, We use AIX 5.3 at our work place. I only in my team have a strange problem of not able run jobs background. Other colleagues are able to run without any problem. Once I kick off background job using nohup and & command, It immediately stops. The following error I get when I run. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandsbr
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Job Status for running shell script

Hello, I am running a shell script whose execution often takes several hours to complete. Is there way I can get some kind of status update as the job is running? Something as simple as the start and the current time stamp. Thanks, Gussi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the exit status of the script running in background

Hi All, I have a scenario where I am executing some child shell scripts in background (using &)through a master parent script. Is there a way I can capture the exit status of each individual child script after the execution is completed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

suspend a *background* running job

Is there a way to suspend (TSTP?) a job that is running in the background, _without_ first bringing it to the foreground and inputting Ctrl-Z from the keyboard? IOW, something similar to issuing the shell's bg builtin command on a job ID to resume a job that is suspended in the background,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Is user cron job running in background?

Hi, Should the user jobs specified in crontab be running in background? Cron daemon is already running in background. So I am not sure whether should the jobs (output and error messages are redirected to file) ran by it be explicitly stated to be run in background (& at end of command) if one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe_x
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies
lpq(1)							      General Commands Manual							    lpq(1)

Name
       lpq - spool queue examination program

Syntax
       lpq [ options ] [ job #...  ] [ user...	]

Description
       The  command  examines  the  spooling  area used by for printing files on the printer, and reports the status of jobs.  The command invoked
       without any arguments reports on any jobs currently in the default queue.

When jobs are being printed, reports the queue as being ``active''.  For each job submitted, reports the user's name, current rank  in  the
       queue,  the names of files comprising the job, the job identifier and the total size in bytes.  The job identifier is a number which may be
       supplied to to remove a specific job.

Job ordering is determined by the FIFO (First In, First Out) algorithm used to scan the spooling  directory.   When  the  queue	is  empty,
       reports that there are ``no entries''.

File  names  may  be unavailable for some jobs, for example, if the command is used without specifying a file name, or if is used in a pipe
       line.  If file names are unavailable, the file name reported by is ``standard input''.

Arguments
       job #...    Causes to report on only the job number(s) specified.

user...	   Causes to report on only the jobs for the specified user(s).

Options
       +n   Scan and display the spool queue until the queue is empty.	The queue is scanned every n seconds, if  no  argument	is  specified  the
	    queue is scanned every 30 seconds.

-l   Display the status of each job on more than one line if necessary.	If this option is not used, the status of each job is displayed on
	    one line.

-Pprinter
	    Report the status of the spool queue for the printer specified.  If this option is not used, the spool  queue  displayed  is  the  one
	    defined by the PRINTER environment variable.  If a queue is not defined by the PRINTER environment variable, the spool queue displayed
	    is for the printer named ``lp'' in the file.

Restrictions
       The displayed status of the spool queue may not always be the current status.  This is because jobs may be completed after  the	queue  has
       been examined, but before the status has been displayed.

Error Messages
       Two of the most common error messages from are:

Warning: no daemon present (R)
       A daemon is not available for the specified printer.  Refer to the command to find out how to restart the printer daemon.

unknown printer (R)
       The printer specified as an argument to the -P option, doesn't have an entry in the file.

Files
       For manipulating the screen for repeated display

To determine printer characteristics

The spooling directory, as determined from printcap

Control files specifying jobs

The lock file to obtain the currently active job

See Also
       lpr(1), lprm(1), lpc(8), lpd(8)

lpq(1)