Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Choosing between repeated entries based on the "absolute values" of a column Post 302860961 by bartus11 on Monday 7th of October 2013 04:47:23 PM
Old 10-07-2013
Put this into "script.awk":
Code:
function abs(x){
  return ((x < 0.0) ? -x : x)
}
NR>1{
  if (max[$1]<abs($3)){
    max[$1]=abs($3)
    a[$1]=$2
    b[$1]=$3
  }
}
END{
  for (i in a){
    print i"\t"a[i]"\t"b[i]
  }
}

Then run:
Code:
awk -f script.awk file

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select only top "N" records based on column value

Hi Gurus, I know this'll be simple task for all the geeks out here but me being a newbie is finding it hard to crack this shell. Ok coming to the task I've a delimited file as below ================================================== ==================================================== ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail: how to restrict delivery based on "to" or "from"?

Hello, I manage a large sendmail server that handles more than 20,000 pieces of mail per day. It's a bit unusual in that all this mail is only being sent to and from 4 local accounts. (It's an automated transaction processing system, whereby users submit a transaction via email attachment). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Repeated error - "se_hdlc: clone device must be attached before use" in /var/adm/messages

Below is the error being repeated on my Solaris 9 Sun-Fire-V890 machine. SAN team confirmed as everything is fine from their end. I did google and found that some people say its a known Oracle bug when you have Oracle 10G installed on your system but I kind of disagree with them. Please see below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikkash
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting comma "," for dot "." in a specific column when comma"," is a delimiter

Hi, I'm dealing with an issue and losing a lot of hours figuring out how i would solve this. I have an input file which looks like this: ('BLABLA +200-GRS','Serviço ','TarifaçãoServiço','wap.bla.us.0000000121',2985,0,55,' de conversão em escada','Dia','Domingos') ('BLABLA +200-GRR','Serviço... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poliver
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk based script to print the "mode(statistics term)" for each column in a data file

Hi All, Thanks all for the continued support so far. Today, I need to find the most occurring string/number(also called mode in statistics terminology) for each column in a data file (.csv type). For one column of data(1.txt) like below Sample 1 2 2 3 4 1 1 1 2 I can find the mode... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a column/columns of a CSV file which has cell values with a string enclosed in " , "?

How can I delete a column from a CSV file which has comma separated value with a string enclosed in double quotes and a comma in between? I have a file 44.csv with 4 lines including the header like the below format: column1, column2, column3, column 4, column5, column6 12,455,"string with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Choosing between repeated entries based on a column field

Hello, I have an input file: LOC_Os04g01890\LOC_Os05g17604 0.051307 LOC_Os04g01890\LOC_Os05g17604 0.150977 LOC_Os04g01890\LOC_Os05g17604 0.306231 LOC_Os04g01890\LOC_Os06g33100 0.168037 LOC_Os04g01890\LOC_Os06g33100 0.236293 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanchari
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Choosing rows based on column values

I have a .csv file: A,B,0.6 C,D,-0.7 D,E,0.1 A,E,0.45 D,G, -0.4 I want to select rows based on the values of the 3rd columns such that it is >=0.5 or <= -0.5 Thanks. A,B,0.6 D,G, -0.7 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanchari
1 Replies
abs(3)							     Library Functions Manual							    abs(3)

delim $$

NAME
abs, div, labs, ldiv - Computes absolute value and division of integers LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int abs ( int i ); long labs ( long i ); div_t div ( int numerator , int denominator); ldiv_t ldiv ( long numerator, long denominator); PARAMETERS
For abs(), specifies some integer. For labs(), specifies some long integer. For div(), specifies some integer. For ldiv(), specifies some long integer. For div(), specifies some integer. For ldiv(), specifies some long integer. DESCRIPTION
The abs() function returns the absolute value of its integer operand. The div() function computes the quotient and remainder of the division of the numerator numerator by the denominator denominator. If the division is inexact, the sign of the resulting quotient is that of the algebraic quotient, and the magnitude of the resulting quotient is the largest integer less than the magnitude of the algebraic quotient. If the result cannot be represented (for example, if the denominator is 0), the behavior is undefined. The div() function returns a value of type div_t, comprising both the quotient and the remainder. The labs() and ldiv() functions perform the same functions as abs() and div() respectively, but accept long integers rather than integers as parameters. The ldiv() function returns a value of type ldiv_t, comprising both the quotient and the remainder. NOTES
The abs(), labs(), div(), and ldiv() functions are supported for multithreaded applications. A two's-complement integer can hold a negative number whose absolute value is too large for the integer to hold. When given this largest negative value, the abs() function returns the same value. Full use RETURN VALUES
The abs() function and labs() function return the absolute value of their arguments. The div() function returns a value of type div_t and the ldiv() function returns a value of type ldiv_t. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: floor(3) delim off delim off abs(3)