Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Further understanding the Grep! lol Post 302860923 by RavinderSingh13 on Monday 7th of October 2013 02:20:05 PM
Old 10-07-2013
Hi,

Could you please give your exact requirement so that we can provide you a better solution/suggestion on same.

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

my first script (lol)

hey peeps ive made my first script, its for my work made in HP-UX, kshell anyways the script copies 3 files from a spider system to the floppydrive of my collegeau, I want to check if there is a floppy in the drive otherwise the script just runs forever and I don't have that time a day... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EJ =)
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

This script cut size of files "Lol" change string in files

Basic: find . -type f -name “*.txt” -print | awk '{gsub("Ontem", "AntesdeOntem", $0); print > FILENAME}' *.txt The idea is in folder /home/myapontamentos I have some files and i need to change in all them the word "ontem" to "antesdeontem". But bigger files are cut (size i mean)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: single
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding pattern matching used in a grep command

I have the following code. I want to remove the --sort=num/num/... and am using grep to exclude it as shown below: I have a bit of problem figuring out the use of - at the front echo "--sort=4/5/6" | grep -ivE '-((sort|group)=+/+(/+)*)$' Now suppose I want to remove --quiet I can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the purpose of <If env | grep -q $EXAMPLE>

I have seen this code in a few places and my understanding is they are using it to determine what app called the script. I have a script that is called by two different applications and what it to do one thing when called by one and something else when called by the other. How do I determine... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: croyleje
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD