Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replace a string pattern
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace a string pattern Post 302860733 by bhupinder08 on Monday 7th of October 2013 06:14:25 AM
Old 10-07-2013
Thanks Akshay for replying.

Can you please suggest how can I include the "(" and ")" brackets inside this replacement string as some of the lines in CSV have date value inside braces.

Eg.
('2013-08-12 18:34:17.0') should be set to 'NULL'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace character in a string pattern and save the change in same file

I am facing one problem, can any one please suggest me the command for the same in unix. I am using Ksh. I have a large file with the data that looks like below. "ROTO2-2007f","_US01","9/15/2007","9/21/2007",346492,"NICK, LCD WATCH"97,1,"NAPOLITJ ","BERGER,M Z & CO INC",0.01, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihir0011
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match pattern and replace with string

hi guys, insert into /*<new>*/abc_db.tbl_name this is should be replaced to insert into /*<new>*/${new}.tbl_name it should use '.' as delimiter and replace is there any way to do it using sed (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed :Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix

Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix: My xml file would be like this : <Accounts><Name>Harish</Name><mobile>90844444444444445999 </mobile><TRIG>srcujim-1</TRIG></Accounts><Accounts><Name>Satish</Name><mobile>908999</mobile><TRIG>ettertrtt-1</TRIG></Accounts> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harish_s_ampeo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Replace a string in nextline after searching a pattern

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to replace a string in a line and this line will be identified by search criteria on previous line: E.g.: I have an xml file and Contents as below: <Root> <NameValue> <name>Global/Text/Data</name> <value>This is valid... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailing2vamsi
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in line below specific pattern?

Hi, I'm trying to replace a string with sed, in a text file containing this pattern: location alpha value x location beta value y location gamma value y location delta value y location theta value z ... What I want to achieve is: Find location beta into text file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECK
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

BASH Internal : Replace pattern with string without external command

Morning, I'm trying step up my scripting game .. :rolleyes::confused::D Is there a way to do the replacement with an or without using an external command ? I did try but no joy. var=${var//\(|\)/} #!/bin/bash var="lulus.UbiRwidgets.com (10.1.1.1)" var=${var//\(/}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace String matching wildcard pattern

Hi, I know how to replace a string with another in a file. But, i wish to replace the below string pattern EncryptedPassword="{gafgfa}]\asffafsf312a" i.e EncryptedPassword="<any random string>" To EncryptedPassword="" i.e remove the random password to a empty string. Can you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to replace a string with pattern read from a file

I have two files blocks.txt and rules.txt. In blocks.txt i have the following entries Linux1 Linux2 Linux3 ..... Linux10 In rules.txt i have the lines where a filename pattern starts like 'blk-name.*' I want to replace 'blk-name' with the names read from blocks.txt file I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jag02
2 Replies
gmatch(3GEN)                                         String Pattern-Matching Library Functions                                        gmatch(3GEN)

NAME
gmatch - shell global pattern matching SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lgen [ library ... ] #include <libgen.h> int gmatch(const char *str, const char *pattern); DESCRIPTION
gmatch() checks whether the null-terminated string str matches the null-terminated pattern string pattern. See the sh(1), section File Name Generation, for a discussion of pattern matching. A backslash () is used as an escape character in pattern strings. RETURN VALUES
gmatch() returns non-zero if the pattern matches the string, zero if the pattern does not. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of gmatch() function. In the following example, gmatch() returns non-zero (true) for all strings with "a" or "-" as their last character. char *s; gmatch (s, "*[a-]" ) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
When compiling multithreaded applications, the _REENTRANT flag must be defined on the compile line. This flag should only be used in mul- tithreaded applications. SunOS 5.10 29 Dec 1996 gmatch(3GEN)