Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Manual fsck help in fedora
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Manual fsck help in fedora Post 302860625 by sea on Sunday 6th of October 2013 07:10:48 PM
Old 10-06-2013
If by Single user mode you mean the "Emergency"- or "Multiuser"-mode/.target then: no.
Those are 'init 1' or 'init 3', while the DE requires Graphical.target (init 5).

Init 1: Wont let you login, you're automaticly root (no other TTY's)
Init 3: Requires textual login for any passed loginname (multiple TTY's)
Init 5: Should prompt you with a graphical login screen (multiple TTY's)

By pressing ctrl+alt+f2 you're simply accessing TTY 2.
By default, a distro 'supports' (out of the box) only 1 TTY to display a DE.
(of course this can be changed, but requires some experience)

Accessing another TTY from DE/GUI, will have a very 'diffrent' environment than you face in emergency(.target) stage,
in which usualy /home is not mounted, wifi drivers are not loaded and similar...

Hope this helps?

Last edited by sea; 10-06-2013 at 08:16 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No manual entry for

I don't seem to be able to get man pages up for any command. When I try the "No manual entry for..." message is displayed. When checking my $MANPATH variable I get the following /opt/SUNconn/man: However, when I check this directory it doesn't exist. Searching for any man directories results... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FattyLumpkin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck - what should be done?

I want to use fsck to check and repair my linux system. When I use this command, what do I need to pay attention to or what should I do to make job running successfully. Thanks for your inputs for a newbie. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. Linux

Dual Boot Win XP And Fedora with Fedora Installed First

Hi everyone, I hope this question goes here. Anyways, I have a unique situation where my friend's comp has Fedora installed and wants to add Win XP as a dual boot without formatting the drive. Is it possible to create a partition on the current hard drive and then install win xp? I couldn't find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

NDM manual

Hi, Can any of you tell me how to get this ndm manual stuff? I need it to know specific error ids and descriptions Thanks, Vinodhini (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinodhini4
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a manual task

I have an ASCII file that I receive on a monthly bases that is fixed length. I break the file into separate files based on a 5 character numerical sequence. I have 20 different sequences I have to find. the input file looks something like this xy-ins 2008yuthnrlsinrthsntwilgrha33260001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcalisi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exiting a manual

I'm sure it's really easy, but I have searched on Google and on the forums and haven't found anything. For instance, if I open the grep manual (man grep), I can't close it. I've tried ctrl+c, ctrl+x, scrolling to the bottom of the manual. How can I exit the manual without closing the shell? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennis89
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

No Manual Entry

Hi, While executing the following command i am getting output as command not found. iostat output: command not found Also, man iostat is displaying "NO Manual Entry" Why is it so? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: salil2012
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

fedora grub help, moving to tri boot (XP, ubuntu, fedora soemething)

I will shortly be adding a fedora flavor to my devel box. I currently have XP (installed first on an ssd), ubuntu 10.04 (installed second on the first partition of a platter drive), and I want to add either Cent or SL on the second partition of the platter drive. I will probably also want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
0 Replies

9. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies
fsck.xfs(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  fsck.xfs(8)

NAME
fsck.xfs - do nothing, successfully SYNOPSIS
fsck.xfs [ filesys ... ] DESCRIPTION
fsck.xfs is called by the generic Linux fsck(8) program at startup to check and repair an XFS filesystem. XFS is a journaling filesystem and performs recovery at mount(8) time if necessary, so fsck.xfs simply exits with a zero exit status. If you wish to check the consistency of an XFS filesystem, or repair a damaged or corrupt XFS filesystem, see xfs_check(8) and xfs_repair(8). FILES
/etc/fstab. SEE ALSO
fsck(8), fstab(5), xfs(5), xfs_check(8), xfs_repair(8). fsck.xfs(8)