Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Stdout in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stdout in file Post 302860431 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 6th of October 2013 04:11:50 AM
Old 10-06-2013
You certainly need the 4th oct plus 1 in either case, i.e. in the awk code m4=$4+1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with redirect stdout to file

Hi all hope you can help as I am going MAD!!! :eek: The below is in a shell script but the redirection in the sed line does not work and outputs to the screen and the $fname_2 does note get created ????? Can any one help ?? #!/bin/ksh cd /app/ for fname in `ls -1 X*` do sed 1d $fname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

implicitly redirecting stdout to a file

Is there a way to redirect all stdout to a file implicitly - like defining stdout=/home/me/process.log - so that all "echo" commands in several scripts/subscripts are written to that file; instead of having to edit all scripts to redirect the "echo" (e.g. echo 'This is a test ' >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

StdOut to file --> Append Mode

Hy I've got a little problem: I work with ksh... The application I start should write its output to a log file. It works but the problem is that as I have to run this application few times in a loop it overrites the file every time.:confused: /proj/bre/tools/bin/bretestdriver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucae
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alter file descriptor for stdout

Is there a way to alter the file descriptor for stdout.? sample: #!/bin/ksh exec 1>file exec 2>file echo hi --------->This will go to file print -u4 "come statement"---->I want to make the file descriptor 4 to point to stdout. The reason is ,I have a script which has lot of db2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzip single file in zip file to STDOUT

Hi, Does anyone know if there is an unzip command similar to tar -xOf $tarBall $fileInTarFile which will untar a single file in a tar ball to STDOUT ? I want to do the same but with a .zip (ZIP archive) file. - Andy ---------- Post updated at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print to both file and stdout

Using echo command, send output to both places. I think I knew this but forgot. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

7. Programming

stderr stdout to a log file

I originally wrote my script using the korn shell and had to port it to bash on a another server. My script is working find for backing up but noticed that now after the move, I am not getting any output to my log files. Using Korn shell, this worked for me for some odd reason. This was sending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout continously to a file

I have a C program that continously outputs info to stdout. The problem is that I am redirecting the stdout and stderr to a file and stdout is written at the end of the problem rather than continously to the file. This could be a problem if for example the program is killed and the stdout output is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igurov
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file

I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file but STDOUT only to the same file. I have searched in this formum for a solution, but something like srcipt 3>&1 >&2 2>&3 3>&- | tee errs doesn't work for me... Has anyone an idea??? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuranga
18 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output of until to file versus stdout

Why does this until false; do history | head -5; done result in a stdout infinite loop, yet until false; do history | head -5 > hist5; done only writes it once to file hist5? Furthermore, I can hear the hard drive working on the 2nd command until I end the process, but the history | head -5 is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)