Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with Linux shell
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Help with Linux shell Post 302860319 by Don Cragun on Saturday 5th of October 2013 03:25:23 PM
Old 10-05-2013
Homework can only be posted in the Homework and Coursework forum.

This thread is closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Shell Question: how to print the shell script name ?

Suppose I have a script named "sc.sh" in the script how to print out its name "sc.sh"? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with linux shell script

HI im a novice with shell scripts but i need help with a random script I have this folder filled with 500 different file names... I need help creating a script that will take each filename and make a new folder named that filename and then move that file into the newly created folder. Then the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emachala
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Linux

In shell Can I pass " to a program ? If not what is the work around ..? Can I define * as a wild card charecter that will return all the values from the files ..? I am trying to create a tool that will return the values from a property file . This tool has to support all the wild card... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: app1sxv
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell programming in Linux

Hi, I have been working on Sun Solaris since a long time. Recently I got to work on RH Linux. My Linux version details are: Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 18 15:51:48 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I have a simple command in my shell script: export BKPTAG=`date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! Linux shell script

Hi all, I am trying to make a Nodemanager work in RHEL 5 I got this script from 'oraclemiddleware.wordpress.com', and made appropriate changes to suit my weblogic installation. I keep getting the error, "line 82: syntax error: unexpected end of file". I have checked every line to make sure all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrv1
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Linux Shell Script

Hi Guys I am new to Linux Shell Scripting . Can any one help me with this Task...files are attached for reference Task 1: write a script to generate a large size report file MX0002_new.XML by using the template MX0001_new.XML. Shell script is recomended, and it can run on Linux without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy_1811
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell Linux

Hello, Please, how can I complete this script: Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some Help please with Linux shell script.

we need help with the syntax with this shell script, if you could create this shell script we can donate to a charity etc. we need to set up a directory called user3 inside directory user3 we need to create the following files : afile, anyfile, anotherfile, afiletest, bfile. bfiletest, cfile,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cometboy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which shell can I use on Linux?

I have Linux x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I thought that Linux can use only bash shell however, when I wrote the code: #!/bin/sh NAME=`basename $0 .sh` Today=`date '+%Y%m%d'` TIMESTAMP=`date +%H:%M:%S` LOCAL_SERVER=`hostname` let countcla=0 countcla=`expr ${countcla} + 1` ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
18 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Shell Linux

I have a csv file that looks like this Name,Food,Sport James,Curry,Gym Darren,Pizza,Football Jim,Fish,Hockey James,Sushi,Tennis My code looks like this IFS="," sed 1d $file_name | while read Name Food Sport do mkdir -p $Name #echo "==================" #echo "Name: $Name" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darklord173
3 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)