Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Date manipulation using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Date manipulation using awk Post 302860117 by victory101 on Friday 4th of October 2013 03:20:47 PM
Old 10-04-2013
Date manipulation using awk

Hi Experts,

In the below mentioned file,

John, Miami, ,2013-10-03

I would like to perform difference of $4 and sysdate.

If sysdate date is 2013-10-04, then the output shall be

John, Miami,,1

For which I tried something like the one shown below,

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sed -e "s/-//g"  file > tmp
t=`date "+%Y%m%d"`
awk -F',' '{s=$(date -d"$4" +%s); j=$(date -d"$t" +%s); k=$($($($j-$s)/3600)/24); print $1","$2","$3","k}' input > output

Can someone please tweak the awk expression and make it to work.

I wanted to return 1380747600 for s and 1380834000 for j.
So that j-s=86400
convert into days ->(j-s)/3600/24

The date expressions work fine in bash, but not in awk.

-Victor

Last edited by radoulov; 10-05-2013 at 07:28 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Time/date manipulation

hey folks, been awhile (actaully a long while) since i last touched C. And the 3 books i've read don't really have much about using time.h Question: How would i be able to assign a variable the value of the current date minus 2 mths, keeping in mind the yr. IE. would like to see Nov.31/2001... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: choice
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date manipulation

I'm writing a ksh script in which I want to present the user with a choice of choosing any of the last 15 days. i.e., a list like the following: 20040510 (today) 20040509 (yesterday) 20040508 . . . 20040426 Is there an easy way to produce the date from x number of days ago other than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Manipulation

I need to achieve the following.....I seached the forum but could not find it... This is I have in a file... "CH","TIA","10/27/2006",000590 I need the date in the third field to be attached to fileas 20061027_test.txt How do I do it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

date manipulation

HI, I'm comparing my file date with the system date and if both the dates are equal I'm doing some operation. I use two variables for these two dates. I use the following command in my query. if .... But here the current date $cd shows 01 and filedate $fdate shows 1. The file is created on 1 of ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstanand
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date manipulation

Hi Gurus, How to minus 15 minuets from current system time. For example if current time is " Wed Oct 14 12:12:38 BST 2009", i need "Wed Oct 14 11:57:38 BST 2009" Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date manipulation

How can i print a future time, so i get current time by date "+%H:M" but how can i say add 20 minutes to the current time and display as I have just done for current time. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kelseyh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Manipulation

I have a file with a field containing the following: "7/3/2009 7:07:12 PM","xxxx" I need to be able to split this field up into two into a different format with the time being converted into 24 hour: so that i can get the following: "20090307","19:07:12","xxxx" (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

date field manipulation

I have a data file. Seperated by "|". The 19 th filed is a date field that occurs like this 11/02/2001 i need to convert into the below format 2001-11-02 for e.g.. i/p o/p should be can somebody throw some light (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date manipulation

In my shell script I take date as a input parameter from command line in the format "21 Oct 2011" which would be date +'%d %b %Y' Now i need to do two things here. 1) Validate the date entered by user 2) Calculate yesterday's date from the input. So in this case it should be: "20 Oct 2011"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidtd
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date-Manipulation-1

Hallo Team I can perform the task manually but i would like to automate this process. ok here goes. I have a perl script which runs every Wednesday every week and the name of the script is check_19.pl This is how the script looks like : #!/usr/bin/perl -w #use strict; use DBI; #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kekanap
1 Replies
UNAFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  UNAFS(8)

NAME
unafs - script to warn users about their weak passwords SYNOPSIS
unafs password-files cell-name DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the unafs command, which is part of the john package. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. john, better known as John the Ripper, is a tool to find weak passwords of users in a server. The unafs tool gets password hashes out of the binary AFS database, and produces a file usable by John. SEE ALSO
john(8), mailer(8), unique(8), unshadow(8). The programs are documented fully by John's documentation, which should be available in /usr/share/doc/john or other location, depending on your system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). John the Ripper and mailer were written by Solar Designer <solar@openwall.com>. The complete list of contributors can be found in the CRED- ITS file in the documentation directory. john June 03, 2004 UNAFS(8)