Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help! Zombies
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help! Zombies Post 302859603 by blackrageous on Thursday 3rd of October 2013 12:19:25 PM
Old 10-03-2013
Contrary to popular belief you can't always kill a zombie.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

Okay, I'm working within ansi C and Sun Solaris 7. I have a problem with zombies. I'm currently using the kill command to return the status of a process. How do I check for Zombie PIDs or the right function to return its PID from within a C program? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karpolu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No zombies!

Is there a command that will automaticaly go through and kill all children when you try to kill the parent process. Thanks, David (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nucca
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How can i kill Zombies

Hi All I need help, how can i kill zombies instead of rebooting the system. Regards System: sna Tue Apr 5 17:50:23 2005 Load averages: 0.05, 0.15, 0.22 168 processes: 157 sleeping, 5 running, 6 zombies Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
5 Replies

4. Programming

FreeBSD, fork() and zombies

i'm writing small http proxy server (accept client -> connect to remote proxy server -> recv client's request -> send to remote proxy server -> get responce from remote proxy server -> send answer to client -> close connection to client and to remote proxy server) and having problems with fork().... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PsycoMan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

I had a problem deleting a zombie process. It refused to be killed. I even tried kill -9 process# but it refused. Any other way of killing it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorn
7 Replies

6. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies
KILLALL(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall -- kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-delmsvz] [-help] [-u user] [-t tty] [-c procname] [-SIGNAL] [procname ...] DESCRIPTION
The killall utility kills processes selected by name, as opposed to the selection by pid as done by kill(1). By default, it will send a TERM signal to all processes with a real UID identical to the caller of killall that match the name procname. The super-user is allowed to kill any process. The options are as follows: -v Be more verbose about what will be done. -e Use the effective user ID instead of the (default) real user ID for matching processes specified with the -u option. -help Give a help on the command usage and exit. -l List the names of the available signals and exit, like in kill(1). -m Match the argument procname as a (case sensitive) regular expression against the names of processes found. CAUTION! This is dangerous, a single dot will match any process running under the real UID of the caller. -s Show only what would be done, but do not send any signal. -d Print detailed information about the processes matched, but do not send any signal. -SIGNAL Send a different signal instead of the default TERM. The signal may be specified either as a name (with or without a lead- ing SIG), or numerically. -u user Limit potentially matching processes to those belonging to the specified user. -t tty Limit potentially matching processes to those running on the specified tty. -c procname When used with the -u or -t flags, limit potentially matching processes to those matching the specified procname. -z Do not skip zombies. This should not have any effect except to print a few error messages if there are zombie processes that match the specified pattern. ALL PROCESSES
Sending a signal to all processes with uid XYZ is already supported by kill(1). So use kill(1) for this job (e.g. $ kill -TERM -1 or as root $ echo kill -TERM -1 | su -m <user>) EXIT STATUS
The killall command will respond with a short usage message and exit with a status of 2 in case of a command error. A status of 1 will be returned if either no matching process has been found or not all processes have been signalled successfully. Otherwise, a status of 0 will be returned. DIAGNOSTICS
Diagnostic messages will only be printed if requested by -d options. SEE ALSO
kill(1), sysctl(3) HISTORY
The killall command appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. It has been modeled after the killall command as available on other platforms. AUTHORS
The killall program was originally written in Perl and was contributed by Wolfram Schneider, this manual page has been written by Jorg Wunsch. The current version of killall was rewritten in C by Peter Wemm using sysctl(3). BSD
January 26, 2004 BSD