Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux? Post 302859043 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 2nd of October 2013 07:55:55 AM
Old 10-02-2013
I guess you used a Windoze text editor that saved the file in Windoze format.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar files older than 30 days

Hi there, I am trying to tar a number of files held in a specific folder. I am only interested in archiving files older than 30 days. Having read through the man entries and all available documentation I thought I'd cracked the coomand with tar -c -z -v -N 15/04/2004 -f /wfch.tar * This... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wfch
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Find files older than x days and create a consolidated single tar file.

Hello, I need help in finding files older than x days and creating a single consolidated tar file combining them. Can anyone please provide me a script? Thanks, Dawn (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dawn Bosch
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 2 days using shell script in Unix

I'm new to shell script.... can any one help... What is the shell script to delete the files older than 2 days ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishpabba
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar, compress and remove files older than two days

Hi, I'm Eddy from Belgium and I've the following problem. I try to write a ksh script in AIX to tar, compress and remove the original *.wav files from the directory belgacom_sf_messages older than two days with the following commands. The problem is that I do not find a good combination... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edr
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To write a shell script which groups files with certain pattern, create a tar and zip

Hi Guru's, I have to write a shell script which groups file names based upon the certain matching string pattern, then creates the Tar file for that particular group of files and then zips the Tar file created for the respective group of files. For example, In the given directory these files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahu_sg
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to tar files older than 30 days

Hi all. Here's my situation: I have performance reports that run every 30 minutes saved in the format: stats_report_11251000.txt stats_report_11251030.txt stats_report_11251100.txt stats_report_11251130.txt (Obviously run at Nov 25 10 AM, 10:30 AM, 11 AM and so on...) I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete files and folders which are n days older from one unix server to another unix server

Hi All, Let me know how can i find and delete files from one unix server to another unix server which are 'N' days older. Please note that I need to delete files on remote unix server.So, probably i will need to use sftp, but question is how can i identify files and folders which are 'N'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Tar and GZip files under Unix

Hi All I have 2 tar files and inside a Gzip file (actually its folder) that i got from a Unix user to check the code for him and find some problem. I decompress the Tar file and use 7-ZIP to open the Gzip file and Extract all folders and files. I found the code problem and change it but now when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giladboker
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all log files under all file systems older than 2 days and zip them

Hi All, Problem Statement:Find all log files under all file systems older than 2 days and zip them. Find all zip files older than 3days and remove them. Also this has to be set under cron. I have a concerns here find . -mtime +2 -iname "*.log" -exec gzip {} Not sure if this will work as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh.mishra
4 Replies
ex(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ex(1)

Name
       ex, edit - text editor

Syntax
       ex [ - ] [ -v ] [ -x ] [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] name...
       edit [ ex options ]

Description
       The  editor  is	the  root  of a family of editors: and The editor is a superset of with the most notable extension being a display-editing
       facility.  Display-based editing is the focus of

The name argument indicates the files to be edited.

Options
       -    Suppresses all interactive-user feedback.  This option is useful in processing editor scripts in command files.

-v   Equivalent to using rather than

-t   Equivalent to an initial tag command, that is, editing the file containing the tag and positioning the editor at its definition.

-r   Used to recover after an editor or system crash.  It recovers by retrieving the last saved version of the named file.  If no  file	is
	    specified, it displays a list of saved files.

-R   Sets the read-only option at the start.

+command
	    Indicates  that  the editor should begin by executing the specified command.  If the command is omitted, it defaults to $, positioning
	    the editor at the last line of the first file, initially.  Other useful commands here are scanning patterns of the form  +/pattern	or
	    line numbers.

-l   Sets up for LISP.  That is, it sets the showmatch and lisp options.  The -x option is available only if the Encryption layered product
	    is installed.

-x   Causes to prompt for a key. The key is used to encrypt and decrypt the contents of the file. If the file contents have been  encrypted
	    with one key, you must use the same key to decrypt them.

Restrictions
       The command causes all marks to be lost on lines changed and then restored if the marked lines were changed.

The command does not clear the buffer modified condition.

The z command prints a number of logical rather than physical lines.  More than a screenful of output may result if long lines are present.

File input/output errors do not print a name if the command line minus sign (-) option is used.

There is no easy way to do a single scan ignoring case.

The editor does not warn you if you place text in named buffers and do not use it before exiting the editor.

Null characters are discarded from input files, and cannot appear in output files.

Files
       /usr/lib/ex?.?recover	     recover command
       /usr/lib/ex?.?preserve	     preserve command
       /etc/termcap		terminal capabilities
       ~/.exrc			editor startup file
       /tmp/Exnnnnn		editor temporary
       /tmp/Rxnnnnn		named buffer temporary
       /usr/preserve		preservation directory

See Also
       awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), vi(1), termcap(5), environ(7)
       "Edit: A Tutorial" and the "Ex Reference Manual" in the
       Supplementary Documents, Volume 1: General User

ex(1)