Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Best way to sync time on a Linux machine Post 302858603 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 1st of October 2013 02:10:08 AM
Old 10-01-2013
I'm not commenting on your approach in general. But, if you are in an area that observes daylight savings time shifts or the server you're connecting to as a time server is in an area that observes daylight savings time shifts, NEVER use 1am or 2am or anytime between 1am and 2am as the time to kick off a cron job to synchronize times.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TIME SYNC (NTP)

Is there a utility which offers the ability to utilize NTP to sync time on machine. If so please point to man page or web site (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Provide Time Sync Using Nts-150 Time Server On Unix Network?

can anybody tel lme,how to instal NTS -150 on a unix network,it needs some patch to fetch time frm serve,,?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pesty
2 Replies

3. SuSE

unable to sync the time with ntp server

Hi folks, The server time is no tgetiing synched up with the NTP server. I tried ntpdate -u <ipadress> this is not working. please help out. regards, Sag. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
7 Replies

4. Solaris

NTP time sync in Solaris 10

Ok, I have 4 production systems. There is one NTP server for all four systems. In each system there is one Solaris 10 box that points to that NTP server. All of the other machines in the system point to the Solaris 10 machine to get their time sync. All four Solaris 10 machines have essentially... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Time Sync issue on RHEL 5.3

Hi, My Linux VMs are running on citrix XEN.Somehow the time drift is too high (going very fast). Even if the correct time configured using date -s command, for every 1 hr it is differing almost 5 - 10 mins. Tried configuring ntpd (local NTP server) and still it is not synchronized. Machine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
2 Replies

6. Linux

Questions about the NTP time server sync

Hi folks, I have developed a Linux server for my customer. After migrating the server to my customer site, I was trying to sync its time to the NTP time servers at my customer site. Below is the ntp.conf: % vi /etc/ntp.conf # Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not # permit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimurayuki
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to sync time with bios in rhel7?

Hi All, I deployed the rhel7 server in the bare metal hardware. I want to configure the rhel7 server to sync time with bios. I tired the below commands. Still it did not sync the time with bios. Thanks, Kalai (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync from remote machine via ssh and sync by uisng find by modified time

Hi I have a requirement to rsync from remote to local machine via ssh and sync files that are changed in last n hours. pgrep to check if no other sync is running pgrep -f rsync.*/opt > /dev/null || rsync --bwlimit=10000 -avz --delete root@X.X.X.X:/var/source/ /opt/dest/ >> /home/log 2>&1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Rebooting Windows machine leads to continue sync reset on UNIX

Hello, We have Windows 10 machine connected to Sparc T5440 server via serial cable. We access the server from the Windows 10 machine using putty via serial connection. This allows us to access ILOM and Unix. We have recently noticed that whenever we reboot the windows machine (Windows 10),... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasonu
11 Replies
Time::y2038(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Time::y2038(3pm)

NAME
Time::y2038 - Versions of Perl's time functions which work beyond 2038 SYNOPSIS
use Time::y2038; print scalar gmtime 2**52; # Sat Dec 6 03:48:16 142715360 DESCRIPTION
On many computers, Perl's time functions will not work past the year 2038. This is a design fault in the underlying C libraries Perl uses. Time::y2038 provides replacements for those functions which will work accurately +/1 142 million years. This only imports the functions into your namespace. To replace it everywhere, see Time::y2038::Everywhere. Replaces the following functions: gmtime() See "gmtime" in perlfunc for details. localtime() See "localtime" in perlfunc for details. timegm() my $time = timegm($sec, $min, $hour, $month_day, $month, $year); The inverse of "gmtime()", takes a date and returns the coorsponding $time (number of seconds since Midnight, January 1st, 1970 GMT). All values are the same as "gmtime()" so $month is 0..11 (January is 0) and the $year is years since 1900 (2008 is 108). # June 4, 1906 03:02:01 GMT my $time = timegm(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6); timegm() can take two additional arguments which are always ignored. This lets you feed the results from gmtime() back into timegm() without having to strip the arguments off. The following is always true: timegm(gmtime($time)) == $time; timelocal() my $time = timelocal($sec, $min, $hour, $mday, $month, $year); my $time = timelocal($sec, $min, $hour, $mday, $month, $year, $wday, $yday, $isdst); Like "timegm()", but interprets the date in the current time zone. "timelocal()" will normally figure out if daylight savings time is in effect, but if $isdst is given this will override that check. This is mostly useful to resolve ambiguous times around "fall back" when the hour between 1am and 2am occurs twice. # Sun Nov 4 00:59:59 2007 print timelocal(59, 59, 0, 4, 10, 107); # 1194163199 # Sun Nov 4 01:00:00 2007 DST, one second later print timelocal(0, 0, 1, 4, 10, 107, undef, undef, 1); # 1194163200 # Sun Nov 4 01:00:00 2007 no DST, one hour later print timelocal(0, 0, 1, 4, 10, 107, undef, undef, 0); # 1194166800 $wday and $yday are ignored. They are only there for compatibility with the return value of "localtime()". LIMITATIONS
The safe range of times is +/ 2**52 (about 142 million years). Although the underlying time library can handle times from -2**63 to 2**63-1 (about +/- 292 billion years) Perl uses floating point numbers internally and so accuracy degrates after 2**52. BUGS &; FEEDBACK See http://rt.cpan.org/Dist/Display.html?Queue=Time-y2038 to report and view bugs. If you like the module, please drop the author an email. The latest version of this module can be found at http://y2038.googlecode.com/ and the repository is at http://y2038.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ in perl/Time-y2038. You have to check out the whole repository because there are symlinks. AUTHOR
Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> LICENSE &; COPYRIGHT Copyright 2008-2010 Michael G Schwern This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html SEE ALSO
Time::y2038::Everywhere overrides localtime() and gmtime() across the whole program. The y2038 project at http://y2038.googlecode.com/ <http://xkcd.com/376/> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Time::y2038(3pm)