Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concatenate two variables and form the third variable Post 302858343 by ramprabhum on Monday 30th of September 2013 05:53:20 AM
Old 09-30-2013
@in2nix4life: Thanks for your suggestion...Smilie, but when tried it out and echo con the result what i got is as below
$ echo $con
var1

@Don Cragun, MadeInGermany: It worked perfectly...Smilie Thanks a lot...Smilie

@Corona688: This is just an idea which i got at that moment... I dont have any specific reason for this... Kindly let me know the other methods to achieve this...Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Asking on concatenate variable

Hi , like to ask if we use ksh script to take in parameter into $1 and how do i concatenate the $1 value with some words into a variable?? Below is what i have written and i think is wrong ,how do i write it? datafile="Report" || $1 || ".xls" (Should become Report2000.xls) echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueberry80
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate a string and a variable

I need a way to build variable in this manner: variable_$i Inside a for loop i need to create it. where i goes from 1 to 30.. and then i need to print them on screen with echo $variable_$i which is the best way to do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedivia
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to concatenate values of two variables with an underscore(_) in between

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. I have two variables a and b a=val1 b=val2 could anyone kindly post the shell script to concatenate the values of variable a and b with an underscore(_) in between? The final output should be val1_val2. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string to a variable

Hello All, How to concatenate a string to a variable in a script I'm having a file which is consisting of data and i need to extract the first line of the file and append it to a string. /tmp/samp.list containg 60000 I like to concatenate it with a string (SS_) grep -w SS_$(head -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkamalkishore
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate variables problem

Hello, I have a tricky problem: I have a $file with a variable number of occurrences of "ORA-" (in this case two) .......... EXP-00008: ORACLE error 3113 encountered ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel EXP-00056: ORACLE error 1403 encountered ORA-01403: no data found... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laurentiu
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable concatenate

Hello, It might be stupid question But I will ask it any way:) var1="1 2 3 4" var2="5 6 7 8" var3=$var1\ $var2 var4="$var1\n$var2" echo "$var1" echo "$var2" echo "$var3" echo "$var4" The result of executing this code is as follow 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4\n5 6... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdc2suxs
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate variables

I need to know how to concatenate variables in Debian. I am making a interactive script where it ask the user for info to add a user I pull the first letter from the first middle and last name into individual variables now i want to put them all in one variable so i can put it into useradd command ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HackerSeabass
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help cannot concatenate Ksh variables ?

Cannot combine these two strings into one line, either as a 3rd variable or echo or printing ? Frustrating. for i in `cat /scripts/pathList.dat` do OldRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 NewRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 | sed '/Oldhostname/... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
41 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate Path name to a variable??

I have the path name in a Variable Ex: $XML_PATH_FLAG = /ebs/appl/u00/universe01/inbound/universeorders Now I have to pick up ALL XML files in this directory . In other words I have to pick up ALL the files /ebs/appl/u00/universe01/inbound/universeorders/F1.xml... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pete.kriya
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple variables using awk and for loop for web form submission

Hi My goal is to fill an HTML form and submit. What I have managed to do: 1. curl command to fill up the form and submit 2. a file which has the input curl command: curl -v -b cookie.txt -d __CSRFToken__=dc23d5da47953b3b390ec68d972af10380908b14 -d do=create -d a=open -d... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
10 Replies
TABS(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TABS(1)

NAME
tabs -- set terminal tabs SYNOPSIS
tabs [-n | -a | -a2 | -c | -c2 | -c3 | -f | -p | -s | -u] [+m[n]] [-T type] tabs [-T type] [+[n]] n1[,n2,...] DESCRIPTION
The tabs utility displays a series of characters that clear the hardware terminal tab settings then initialises tab stops at specified posi- tions, and optionally adjusts the margin. In the first synopsis form, the tab stops set depend on the command line options used, and may be one of the predefined formats or at regular intervals. In the second synopsis form, tab stops are set at positions n1, n2, etc. If a position is preceded by a '+', it is relative to the previous position set. No more than 20 positions may be specified. If no tab stops are specified, the ``standard'' UNIX tab width of 8 is used. The options are as follows: -n Set a tab stop every n columns. If n is 0, the tab stops are cleared but no new ones are set. -a Assembler format (columns 1, 10, 16, 36, 72). -a2 Assembler format (columns 1, 10, 16, 40, 72). -c COBOL normal format (columns 1, 8, 12, 16, 20, 55) -c2 COBOL compact format (columns 1, 6, 10, 14, 49) -c3 COBOL compact format (columns 1, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 67). -f FORTRAN format (columns 1, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23). -p PL/1 format (columns 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 57, 61). -s SNOBOL format (columns 1, 10, 55). -u Assembler format (columns 1, 12, 20, 44). +m[n], +[n] Set an n character left margin, or 10 if n is omitted. -T type Output escape sequence for the terminal type type. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and TERM environment variables affect the execution of tabs as described in environ(7). The -T option overrides the setting of the TERM environment variable. If neither TERM nor the -T option are present, tabs will fail. EXIT STATUS
The tabs utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
expand(1), stty(1), tput(1), unexpand(1), termcap(5) STANDARDS
The tabs utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A tabs utility appeared in PWB UNIX. This implementation was introduced in FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
The current termcap(5) database does not define the 'ML' (set left soft margin) capability for any terminals. BSD
May 20, 2002 BSD