Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Large crout files created in /tmp folder Post 302858279 by Don Cragun on Monday 30th of September 2013 01:57:28 AM
Old 09-30-2013
It sounds like you have three simple ways to fix your problem:
  1. Free up space on /tmp so your archiving script doesn't run out of space,
  2. stop running your archiving script, or
  3. fix your archiving script.
Without knowing what your script looks like, what kind of system you're using, how much free space there is in /tmp, and how much space is needed to archive the files you're archiving, I don't see how we can provide much help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to monitor tmp folder for uploads

Hello, We have been having some issues with our users overwriting files, and then not having a backup. What I would love to do, is create a shell script to monitor /tmp, for uploads, and make a copy of the file they are trying to upload before the upload finishes. Is this possible at all? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrfr0g
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Entering in to recent created folder

Hi, I had problem I have a script after each run, which creates a new folder under "testrun", I used to find recent createfolder by using ls -ltr in testrun folder. Is there any script which facilitates, going directly to recent createfolder under "testrun":confused: Plz help.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasad2k.java
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find folder size with created date

hi, please give me adivse .how to find the folder size with created created date . eg: i have directore and in that sub directoties and so on.. /home/mud/abc/dcb/ for this i want output like this path size date -------------------------------------------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muddasani
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Zip command for large folder

I am trying to zip a folder, its size is more than 3 GB. I used below command zip -r foo middleware -x "*path*" This command fails every time with message "Filesize exceeded limit" Can some one help me how to over come this problem and zip the entire folder without splitting it. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariram
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

default size of a newly created folder

Hi all, In linux how to create a directory with specified size, so that it can be used only up to the mentioned size. Actually my question is, whether we can do directory quota in linux. mounting the directory in a partiton will do that, but do we have any other option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finishing a bash script for listing subfolder by size in a large folder

Greetings everyone. I have seen that you do wonders here. I have a large folder on a Ubuntu linux. Organization main folder, inside 20 000 subfolders, and inside those subolders many other like 5-6 folders and files. I am interested to create an output to a txt file under the bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get filelist in a folder which is created in last x hours

Hi , I am looking for some help in getting the list of files matching some pattern in a folder and those were created in last X hours. Please help. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for moving folder specific files into target directory of that country folder.

I need help to write shell script to copy files from one server to another server. Source Directory UAE(inside i have another folder Misc with files inside UAE folder).I have to copy this to another server UAE folder( Files should be copied to UAE folder and Misc files should be copied in target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh2389
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - The GNU version of the tar archiving utility SYNOPSIS
tar [ - ] A --catenate --concatenate | c --create | d --diff --compare | r --append | t --list | u --update | x -extract --get [ --atime- preserve ] [ -b, --block-size N ] [ -B, --read-full-blocks ] [ -C, --directory DIR ] [ --checkpoint ] [ -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F ] [ --force-local ] [ -F, --info-script F --new-volume-script F ] [ -G, --incremental ] [ -g, --listed-incremental F ] [ -h, --dereference ] [ -i, --ignore-zeros ] [ -j, -I, --bzip ] [ --ignore-failed-read ] [ -k, --keep-old-files ] [ -K, --starting-file F ] [ -l, --one-file-sys- tem ] [ -L, --tape-length N ] [ -m, --modification-time ] [ -M, --multi-volume ] [ -N, --after-date DATE, --newer DATE ] [ -o, --old-ar- chive, --portability ] [ -O, --to-stdout ] [ -p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions ] [ -P, --absolute-paths ] [ --preserve ] [ -R, --record-number ] [ --remove-files ] [ -s, --same-order, --preserve-order ] [ --same-owner ] [ -S, --sparse ] [ -T, --files-from=F ] [ --null ] [ --totals ] [ -v, --verbose ] [ -V, --label NAME ] [ --version ] [ -w, --interactive, --confirmation ] [ -W, --verify ] [ --exclude FILE ] [ -X, --exclude-from FILE ] [ -Z, --compress, --uncompress ] [ -z, --gzip, --ungzip ] [ --use-compress-program PROG ] [ --block-compress ] [ -[0-7][lmh] ] filename1 [ filename2, ... filenameN ] directory1 [ directory2, ...directoryN ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of tar , an archiving program designed to store and extract files from an archive file known as a tarfile. A tarfile may be made on a tape drive, however, it is also common to write a tarfile to a normal file. The first argument to tar must be one of the options: Acdrtux, followed by any optional functions. The final arguments to tar are the names of the files or directories which should be archived. The use of a directory name always implies that the subdirectories below should be included in the archive. FUNCTION LETTERS
One of the following options must be used: -A, --catenate, --concatenate append tar files to an archive -c, --create create a new archive -d, --diff, --compare find differences between archive and file system --delete delete from the archive (not for use on mag tapes!) -r, --append append files to the end of an archive -t, --list list the contents of an archive -u, --update only append files that are newer than copy in archive -x, --extract, --get extract files from an archive OTHER OPTIONS
--atime-preserve don't change access times on dumped files -b, --block-size N block size of Nx512 bytes (default N=20) -B, --read-full-blocks reblock as we read (for reading 4.2BSD pipes) -C, --directory DIR change to directory DIR --checkpoint print directory names while reading the archive -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F use archive file or device F (default /dev/rmt0) --force-local archive file is local even if has a colon -F, --info-script F --new-volume-script F run script at end of each tape (implies -M) -G, --incremental create/list/extract old GNU-format incremental backup -g, --listed-incremental F create/list/extract new GNU-format incremental backup -h, --dereference don't dump symlinks; dump the files they point to -i, --ignore-zeros ignore blocks of zeros in archive (normally mean EOF) -j, -I, --bzip filter the archive through bzip2. Note: -I is deprecated and may get a different meaning in the near future. --ignore-failed-read don't exit with non-zero status on unreadable files -k, --keep-old-files keep existing files; don't overwrite them from archive -K, --starting-file F begin at file F in the archive -l, --one-file-system stay in local file system when creating an archive -L, --tape-length N change tapes after writing N*1024 bytes -m, --modification-time don't extract file modified time -M, --multi-volume create/list/extract multi-volume archive -N, --after-date DATE, --newer DATE only store files newer than DATE -o, --old-archive, --portability write a V7 format archive, rather than ANSI format -O, --to-stdout extract files to standard output -p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions extract all protection information -P, --absolute-paths don't strip leading `/'s from file names --preserve like -p -s -R, --record-number show record number within archive with each message --remove-files remove files after adding them to the archive -s, --same-order, --preserve-order list of names to extract is sorted to match archive --same-owner create extracted files with the same ownership -S, --sparse handle sparse files efficiently -T, --files-from=F get names to extract or create from file F --null -T reads null-terminated names, disable -C --totals print total bytes written with --create -v, --verbose verbosely list files processed -V, --label NAME create archive with volume name NAME --version print tar program version number -w, --interactive, --confirmation ask for confirmation for every action -W, --verify attempt to verify the archive after writing it --exclude FILE exclude file FILE -X, --exclude-from FILE exclude files listed in FILE -Z, --compress, --uncompress filter the archive through compress -z, --gzip, --ungzip filter the archive through gzip --use-compress-program PROG filter the archive through PROG (which must accept -d) 30 October 2000 TAR(1)