Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automating Linux Script
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Automating Linux Script Post 302857963 by MadeInGermany on Friday 27th of September 2013 06:15:12 PM
Old 09-27-2013
A shell script is a simple text file. You can create/edit it with a text editor.
You can run it in a Unix shell (terminal) with bash myscript.
You can make it executable with chmod +x myscript and put a shebang (first line) #!/bin/bash. Then you can run it as a new command ./myscript and, if . is in your PATH, myscript.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating sftp script

I have to write an automated sftp script which uses password authentication method to access the remote server. I want to pass the password as a parameter or to be included in the script itself, so that when i run the sftp script, it should not prompt me to enter the password. Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Logform Command in a script

Hi all I am trying to create a script to automate the creating of filesystems. The problem I am having is as follows:- After creating the Log Logical Volume, I want to format it, using the logform command. The Logform command expects user intervention, by typing 'y' and 'enter' to continue.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheDoc
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron ? automating a script

Hi all. basically i need to run a script every 30 minutes. my script is simply an error report: errpt thats it, is there anyway to make this happen every 30 minutes without having to type errpt in, the script will get bigger as i add more things to do but just need to know how to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassanj
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in automating dates in ksh script

I need to run a command at the end of a backup job and this command will produce a report of what my backup jobs have collected in the previous day. The real problem is that this binary works with absolute dates only, so I should have to modify the script every single time I need it to work. It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: italia1971luca
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Interactive script

I have a script that will install software on all remote host. At the end of the script it starts the install.sh part and goes into a interactive mode asking Yes or No questions and prompting to add a username and password. My question is how can I script this so that these questions are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating A Perl Script over a database

Dear Scripting Gods I've never done shell scripting before and have only recently got to grips with Perl, so apologies for my naivity. I've written a perl program which takes in two files as arguments (these are text documents which take in the information I need) The perl program spits out a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fraizerangus
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with automating a bash script

Hi Guys, There are some emails going deferred as we got some new IP's from our ISP. So I was trying to manually copy the deferred mail and forward it to our sales team so that they can contact our client. I am new to this script thing, but luckily I was able to write the code to extract the data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxrulz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating a perl script

Hi, I have a perl script that takes in 2 numerical values as ARGV. perl script.pl parameter1 num1 num2 in my case I have 1000's of num1 and num2. I can have them in separate files. Please let me know how to automate this run using shell scripting or using awk, so that I don't have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Crontab through script??

is it possible to automate crontab through script... I ll be getting the data i.e. cron entries from DB. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Linux Script

I want to automate the creation or processing of the following: Directory and subdirectory creation for your scenario company Files in each of the directories Symbolic links from 2 subdirectories to their parent directories Setting appropriate file permissions for the directories and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ekglag2
1 Replies
YAPP(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  YAPP(1p)

NAME
yapp - A perl frontend to the Parse::Yapp module SYNOPSYS
yapp [options] grammar[.yp] yapp -V yapp -h DESCRIPTION
yapp is a frontend to the Parse::Yapp module, which lets you compile Parse::Yapp grammar input files into Perl LALR(1) OO parser modules. OPTIONS
Options, as of today, are all optionals :-) -v Creates a file grammar.output describing your parser. It will show you a summary of conflicts, rules, the DFA (Deterministic Finite Automaton) states and overall usage of the parser. -s Create a standalone module in which the driver is included. Note that if you have more than one parser module called from a program, to have it standalone, you need this option only for one of your parser module. -n Disable source file line numbering embedded in your parser module. I don't know why one should need it, but it's there. -m module Gives your parser module the package name (or name space or module name or class name or whatever-you-call-it) of module. It defaults to grammar -o outfile The compiled output file will be named outfile for your parser module. It defaults to grammar.pm or, if you specified the option -m A::Module::Name (see below), to Name.pm. -t filename The -t filename option allows you to specify a file which should be used as template for generating the parser output. The default is to use the internal template defined in Parse::Yapp::Output.pm. For how to write your own template and which substitutions are available, have a look to the module Parse::Yapp::Output.pm : it should be obvious. -b shebang If you work on systems that understand so called shebangs, and your generated parser is directly an executable script, you can specifie one with the -b option, ie: yapp -b '/usr/local/bin/perl -w' -o myscript.pl myscript.yp This will output a file called myscript.pl whose very first line is: #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w The argument is mandatory, but if you specify an empty string, the value of $Config{perlpath} will be used instead. grammar The input grammar file. If no suffix is given, and the file does not exists, an attempt to open the file with a suffix of .yp is tried before exiting. -V Display current version of Parse::Yapp and gracefully exits. -h Display the usage screen. BUGS
None known now :-) AUTHOR
Francois Desarmenien <francois@fdesar.net> COPYRIGHT
(c) Copyright 1998-1999 Francois Desarmenien, all rights reserved. See Parse::Yapp(3) for legal use and distribution rights SEE ALSO
Parse::Yapp(3) Perl(1) yacc(1) bison(1) perl v5.10.1 2001-02-11 YAPP(1p)