Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automating Linux Script
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Automating Linux Script Post 302857885 by ekglag2 on Friday 27th of September 2013 01:31:52 PM
Old 09-27-2013
I did ask him for more assistance, actually. Three times, to be exact. This first time he provided me with a link that brought me to a page that helped me understand automating slightly but didn't help me understand how to automate this assignment. After I realized that would not be enough for me to work with I contacted him again. This time he told me he already sent me a link and that if that wasn't enough for me then to research it on my own. I had been doing that previously and had by that point already created this thread as well. I then emailed him again stating that this was not enough help because I had called my student adviser for help, researched the topic, created this thread, and tried getting help from 4 of my peers, only one of whom would reply to me. That student was just as stuck as me. So here I am, having filed for an incomplete because I couldn't complete the assignment due to lack of understanding. I'm still trying to understand this automating stuff. I don't know how to set it up to check if the directories and files already exist or how to make error messages appear.

---------- Post updated at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:27 PM ----------

To make it more clear, my instructor told me to file for an incomplete if I couldn't finish my assignment by the due date and that he had done all he could for me and to work with what I have, which is nothing but a thread where no one understands my assignment any better then I do and an assignment that I can't complete. Is there any one who can try to break down automating each part of my script bit by bit? I can't seem to grasp this topic at all and I need some simple descriptions of how this is all supposed to work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating sftp script

I have to write an automated sftp script which uses password authentication method to access the remote server. I want to pass the password as a parameter or to be included in the script itself, so that when i run the sftp script, it should not prompt me to enter the password. Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Logform Command in a script

Hi all I am trying to create a script to automate the creating of filesystems. The problem I am having is as follows:- After creating the Log Logical Volume, I want to format it, using the logform command. The Logform command expects user intervention, by typing 'y' and 'enter' to continue.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheDoc
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron ? automating a script

Hi all. basically i need to run a script every 30 minutes. my script is simply an error report: errpt thats it, is there anyway to make this happen every 30 minutes without having to type errpt in, the script will get bigger as i add more things to do but just need to know how to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassanj
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in automating dates in ksh script

I need to run a command at the end of a backup job and this command will produce a report of what my backup jobs have collected in the previous day. The real problem is that this binary works with absolute dates only, so I should have to modify the script every single time I need it to work. It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: italia1971luca
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Interactive script

I have a script that will install software on all remote host. At the end of the script it starts the install.sh part and goes into a interactive mode asking Yes or No questions and prompting to add a username and password. My question is how can I script this so that these questions are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating A Perl Script over a database

Dear Scripting Gods I've never done shell scripting before and have only recently got to grips with Perl, so apologies for my naivity. I've written a perl program which takes in two files as arguments (these are text documents which take in the information I need) The perl program spits out a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fraizerangus
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with automating a bash script

Hi Guys, There are some emails going deferred as we got some new IP's from our ISP. So I was trying to manually copy the deferred mail and forward it to our sales team so that they can contact our client. I am new to this script thing, but luckily I was able to write the code to extract the data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxrulz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating a perl script

Hi, I have a perl script that takes in 2 numerical values as ARGV. perl script.pl parameter1 num1 num2 in my case I have 1000's of num1 and num2. I can have them in separate files. Please let me know how to automate this run using shell scripting or using awk, so that I don't have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Crontab through script??

is it possible to automate crontab through script... I ll be getting the data i.e. cron entries from DB. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Linux Script

I want to automate the creation or processing of the following: Directory and subdirectory creation for your scenario company Files in each of the directories Symbolic links from 2 subdirectories to their parent directories Setting appropriate file permissions for the directories and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ekglag2
1 Replies
qmail-users(5)							File Formats Manual						    qmail-users(5)

NAME
qmail-users - assign mail addresses to users OVERVIEW
The file /var/lib/qmail/users/assign assigns addresses to users. For example, =joe.shmoe:joe:503:78:/home/joe::: says that mail for joe.shmoe should be delivered to user joe, with uid 503 and gid 78, as specified by /home/joe/.qmail. Assignments fed to qmail-newu will be used by qmail-lspawn to control qmail-local's deliveries. See qmail-newu(8). A change to /var/lib/qmail/users/assign will have no effect until qmail-newu is run. STRUCTURE
/var/lib/qmail/users/assign is a series of assignments, one per line. It ends with a line containing a single dot. Lines must not contain NUL. SIMPLE ASSIGNMENTS
A simple assignment is a line of the form =local:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:ext: Here local is an address; user, uid, and gid are the account name, uid, and gid of the user in charge of local; and messages to local will be controlled by homedir/.qmaildashext. If there are several assignments for the same local address, qmail-lspawn will use the first one. local is interpreted without regard to case. WILDCARD ASSIGNMENTS
A wildcard assignment is a line of the form +loc:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:pre: This assignment applies to any address beginning with loc, including loc itself. It means the same as =locext:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:preext: for every string ext. A more specific wildcard assignment overrides a less specific assignment, and a simple assignment overrides any wildcard assignment. For example: +:alias:7790:2108:/var/lib/qmail/alias:-:: +joe-:joe:507:100:/home/joe:-:: =joe:joe:507:100:/home/joe::: The address joe is handled by the third line; the address joe-direct is handled by the second line; the address bill is handled by the first line. SEE ALSO
qmail-pw2u(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-users(5)