Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers When do I use input redirection? Post 302857707 by inventsekar on Friday 27th of September 2013 03:06:47 AM
Old 09-27-2013
$ echo hi
--- it just prints "hi" on the screen.
if i want to send the output to a file, then i will use output redirection.
$ echo hi > test-hi

in the same, input redirection is just the same.

Input redirection can be useful if you have written a program which expects input from the terminal and you want to provide it from a file. In the following example, myprog, which was written to read standard input and write standard output, is redirected to read myin.

$ myprog < myin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Redirection

Hi everybody, first of all i am a new member in UNIX.com and this is my first post. I am impressed with the amount of information a person can ever have in this forum, it is really great having something similiar; anyways let me tell you about the problem I am having, hope you will answer me.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majeed73
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input redirection question

Hi, in my script I need to execute the following command: query $id 456 432 but it waits for a RETURN character from keyboard and therefore, it fails. I tried something like: query $id 456 432 << '\n' but, i'ts clear it is not correct. Is there any way to do this? Thxs. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: luistid
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

permanent redirection of standard input

while running a user inter-active program how can we get the commands from a file instead of the user? is there anyway to permanently redirect content of a file to standard input? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password required when using input redirection

Hello, I need to change user and run some commands by using a script. lets say, I'm using su - someuser << start password required -----> how can I enter the password here command 1 command 2 command 3 command 4 start While trying to run this I got the following message: "standard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alalush
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection and for loop

Hello, I need help with a bash script that I try to improve. I could not find answer so far, maybe because I'm not to familiar with the terminology so feel free to correct my language. I have a script that looks like: NODES="node_a node_b node_c" for NODE in $NODES do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for Input Redirection in my script?

All, I have a requirement to write a script where I check for Input redirection when the script was executed, based on which I handle my logic. Below is the example: my.script #! /bin/ksh # Not sure how to frame the if condition below if ; then echo "Input Redirected from a file" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send job to Background after input redirection

Hi, I am having issues with syntax when I am trying to send a job to the background after a input redirection. I have this script which sends some files to different servers after zipping them. Once I execute it, it will ask for user input as of which server the files need to go to. (The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection of file input to command

Hello, I'm new to Unix (working with OS X 10.8.5) and therefore at the beginning of my adventure. If I ask something stupid, then this is not intentional, but simple nescience. :rolleyes: I have a problem with the redirection of text file content to echo. I was experimenting with redirection... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudo
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection script

Hi, #!/bin/bash while ; do rm -f /tmp/pipe mkfifo /tmp/pipe ./yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 < /tmp/pipe & mplayer tom_and_jerry.mp4 -vf scale=480:360 -vo yuv4mpeg:file=/tmp/pipe sleep 65; done When I run this - after mplayer finishes playing video it says - Exiting... (End of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection within bash script

Hi, when I try to redirect input and the command is described as a string within an array redirection does not work. why? #!/bin/bash dir=("tail < ./hello.txt") tail < ./hello.txt #works ${dir} #does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinzel
2 Replies
FBB::Redirector(3bobcat)				   System Level File Redirection				  FBB::Redirector(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::Redirector - Redirects a file descriptor to another descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/redirector> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
Objects of the class FBB::Redirector set up a system level file redirection, using file descriptors rather than streams. FBB::Redirector objects are effectively wrappers around the dup2(2) system call. System level redirection allows the programmer to send output to, e.g., the standard output stream, which actually appears at another stream (e.g., the standard error). It is a stronger form of redirection than the standard one offered by C++, which uses std::streambuf redirection, and which is, because of that, bound to the program's scope. System level redirection, on the other hand, is applied at the system level, allowing the programmer to redirect standard streams when starting a program. For example, the standard error is commonly written to the standard output using an invocation like program 2>&1. When constructing FBB::Redirector objects a file descriptor is required, and another file descriptor is required when defining the redi- rection. Formally, file descriptors are not defined in C++, but they are available in many types of operating systems. In those systems each `file' has an associated `file descriptor'. A file descriptor is an int, which is an index into the program's file allocation table, maintained by the system. Another type of well-known entities which are file descriptors are sockets. Well-known filedescriptors (defined in, e.g., unistd.h) having fixed values are 0 (STDIN_FILENO), representing the standard input stream (std::cin); 1, (STDOUT_FILENO), representing the standard output stream (std::cout); 2, (STDERR_FILENO), representing the standard error stream (cerr); Notes: o System-level redirection outlives system calls from the execl(3) family. o Destroying a FBB::Redirector object does not undo the redirection set up by that object. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- ENUM
The enumeration StandardFileno holds the following values: o STDIN(0) o STDOUT(1) o STDERR(2) These values may be used to set up a redirection instead of the plain numbers. CONSTRUCTORS
o Redirector(int fd): This constructor expects the file descriptor of the file that will be used in the program to access (read, write) another file. The copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
o void swallow(int otherFd) const: This member function expects the file descriptor of the file that will be redirected. Redirection means that the descriptor provided to the constructor will be used when referring to the file descriptor provided to the swallow() member (see the example below). If the redirection fails an FBB::Errno object is thrown, whose which() member shows the system's errno value set by the failing dup2(2) function. o void through(int otherFd) const: This member function also redirects otherFd to the file descriptor provided to the constructor, but will also close the construc- tor's file descriptor. After calling through the file referred to by the constructor's file descriptor can only be accessed from otherFd. The file originally referred to by otherFd is not accessible anymore from the current process. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/redirector> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { Redirector redirector(Redirector::STDOUT); redirector.swallow(Redirector::STDERR); cerr << "This appears at the standard output stream " "use `a.out > /dev/null' to suppress this message" << endl; } FILES
bobcat/redirector - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), errno(3bobcat), dup2(2), execl(3) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::Redirector(3bobcat)