Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing the prompt in CSH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing the prompt in CSH Post 302857515 by blackrageous on Thursday 26th of September 2013 01:25:11 PM
Old 09-26-2013
Code:
set prompt = `hostname | awk -F. '{print $1}'`"$PWD>

Last edited by blackrageous; 09-26-2013 at 06:28 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

current directory as part of the csh prompt

I would like my csh prompt to behave like the linux csh prompt setting done by linux command (set prompt="%n@%m %c]$ ") how do I do that? What I'm trying to do is that I would like to see what directory I'm in by looking at the prompt. I've figured out that %n is like $user, and %m is like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesloh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the prompt

Phew simple question, I want to display the my directory path in prompt. Did the following in .profile PS1=`pwd` export PS! Worked, but it always points to HOME directory. When i do a cd, it doesn't change. What am i missing. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Prompt in sh

I know no one has ever asked this before {not :D } but I am trying to set the prompt in the .profile under sh. I have tried everything I have seen on the web in regards to this, with no success. The OS is SCO Unixware 7.1.1, {not by my choice}. All the examples I see seem to be for ksh, which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcc5169
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Changing prompt

I currently have this as my prompt when I log in (shell is sh): PS1="`hostname ` # " My question is how do I add the current directory to that prompt? Is there a way? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing the password prompt

Is there any way I can change the prompt which asks for the password on a UNIX system? e.g. When I login using Telnet instead of "Password" I should get "Correct Password". Thanks, Vineet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh/csh: set prompt in production to color red

Hi folks This is our prompt at the moment oracle@pinkipinki:/opt/oracle> grep 'set prompt' .cshrc set prompt = "$user@`uname -n`:$cwd> " We wish to have in production the same prompt, but red. Howto do that? I tried a lot a internet manuals, but it doesn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the shell prompt

Hi, I want to change the shell prompt, using the cd command. I have a shell prompt like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ Now i do this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ cd log4j here the shell prompt should change like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)log4j$ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the file name to a different one using csh

I have a file name n10-z30-dsr65-ndelt1.00-varp0.08-16x12drw-csq-msf.ps and I want to remove the varp info tag to get n10-z30-dsr65-ndelt1.00-16x12drw-csq-msf.ps Trying to use tr, but when I tried replacing varp with ooo I am getting the results below: echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in C shell (csh) prompt setting containing the '$' char

Hi, I am trying to customize the command prompt of the C shell as follows: set prompt=" " The above one works fine but when I try to add a '$' (dollar) symbol into the string as set prompt=" " I am getting the error as: Illegal variable name However, this one set prompt = "-- %T %n %~ --... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing script from csh to bash

Hello Guys I have a script working fine on csh, but I would like to change it to bash, how I should change this command to be able to work as bash script. :wall: if ( $fsw > "0" ) then foreach swath ( `awk 'BEGIN {for (i='$fsw';i<='$lsw';i++) printf ("%s\n", i) }'` ) ## work to be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
2 Replies
pam_get_user(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   pam_get_user(3)

NAME
pam_get_user - PAM routine to retrieve user name. SYNOPSIS
[ flag ... ] file ... [ library ... ] DESCRIPTION
is used by PAM service modules to retrieve the current user name from the PAM handle. If the user name has not been set, via or then the PAM conversation function will be used to prompt the user for the user name with the string "prompt". If prompt is NULL, then is called and the value of is used for prompting. If the value of is NULL, the following default prompt is used: After the user name is gathered by the conversation function, is called to set the value of By convention, applications that need to prompt for a user name should call and set the value of before calling The service module's func- tion will then call to prompt for the user name. Note that certain PAM service modules (such as a smart card module) may override the value of and pass in their own prompt. Applications that call multiple times should set the value of to NULL with before calling if they want the user to be prompted for a new user name each time. The value of user retrieved by should not be modified or freed. The item will be released by APPLICATION USAGE
Refer to pam(3) for information on thread-safety of PAM interfaces. RETURN VALUES
Upon success, returns otherwise it returns an error code. Refer to pam(3) for information on error related return values. SEE ALSO
pam(3), pam_start(3), pam_authenticate(3), pam_get_item(3), pam_set_item(3), pam_sm(3), pam_sm_authenticate(3), pam_end(3). pam_get_user(3)